Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Which hurts less

Started by Emma1017, August 24, 2018, 12:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma1017

Hey Moni of course you are a friend.  I figure when I come out I will need a batch of new ones anyway.... :)

As Kim has pointed out to me this thread is a team effort so please post your explanation.  Help with this process is always welcome!

•  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Emma1017 on April 18, 2019, 12:26:11 PM
Hey Moni of course you are a friend.  I figure when I come out I will need a batch of new ones anyway.... :)

As Kim has pointed out to me this thread is a team effort so please post your explanation.  Help with this process is always welcome!

I am willing to wager you will keep a lot of friends. Okay, this was about three years ago in a school setting. I announced through email that after work I had something personal to share (in front of like 90 coworkers.) I was so nervous, I confess I read some of it, still trying to look up at people's faces as I did it.  Here goes!

"I really have no desire to impose my personal life on anyone, but what I must do cannot be hidden. I cannot control how you receive my news. The best I can do is be respectful and tell you face to face. First let me give you some background.
   As far back as I can remember, I have had a painful struggle within myself. It caused me to be very emotionally withdrawn, angry with myself, and very ashamed. About a year ago, I got to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore.  I truly felt like I had spent my whole life pretending to be someone I was not. I decided I had to make a decision about how the rest of my life would go.
   One possibility would be to continue as I always had. I have no doubt that this path would be filled with anxiety, depression, and a growing discomfort with myself that is hard to put into words.
   My second choice would mean accepting something about myself that I have tried to run from a million times. It would put me in a position of possibly being made fun of, being shunned, or even physically attacked in some situations. This path is very uncertain and would require I go through some very awkward times. The upside could mean I have a chance to find happiness and be myself.
   I guess if I chose option 1, I wouldn't be standing here talking to you.  :) So far I have told about 80 people.  I have been lucky so far in that every person I've told has shown support including my partner and sons. For the first time in my life, I have experienced 14 months of consistent happiness, and I feel like a whole person instead of two battling halves.
   I am here to tell you the secret that I have kept from all but my partner for 50 years. Simply put, I'm transgender. This means that I am unable to be happy or comfortable with my gender at birth, male. This is strictly about how I view myself and in no way does this have anything to do with harming anyone else. Last June, I started transitioning away from the person you knew as (deadname.) By next fall, my physical appearance will change, but I will essentially be the same person. (I joked that some may be sorry to see that stay the same.)
   I hope people will try to understand. The truth is, I don't understand why this happened myself. What I must do is hard, but it is easier when people are kind. I know some of you have been through worse (cancer, death of loved ones.) To anyone thinking this is a choice, maybe, in a sense, it is. The thing is, I made the choice to say no to this many, many times and was always unhappy with myself. I can't live in fear of other people's disapproval anymore. What I would ask from you is to ask questions. I prefer people asking questions to people shying away for fear of saying the wrong thing."

I must have said things okay because I got a standing ovation and about 20 hugs. Of course there are no guarantees, but things can work out well. It is no surprise that the desperation came through in this. I was desperate. I hope this gives food for thought as one way to explain to others what must be done. Hugs,
Monica
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Emma1017

Moni this is a great speech.  It is sincere, caring and from the heart.  I am so glad that your results exceeded your expectations!!!!

I am NOT taking your bet... ;D

Add my HUG to the pile,

Emma 
  •  

GinaG

Wow.  I just got home. From seeing my endocronoigist. As I drove home. Prescriptions filled. I was trying to find the word I will need to explain my transition.  Moni you hit the nail on the head.  As usual.  Real courage for all of us like that.  I am retired. So work isn't an issue.  Standing up infront of my high school staff much less students would intimidate me so much.  Still family, friends. It will take some doing

I have told 7 so far. Each has been loving and supportive.  I know some may be negative, but my friends are good people.   
I have a great support group. New primary doctor endo, therapist.... And the community on here.
Moni Kim.  Kirsten....everyone so ready to share and give.

Thank you Emma this thread is so loving and thoughtful.

I know it is hard day to day I was down yesterday,  but HRT finally is real.  I feel blessed.

Hugs all around.

Gina.
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Good on you Gina- that is huge news!

Kirsten x.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Emma1017

Dear Gina:

I can't decide how to react, a group hug, team high five or just a teary "I am so happy for you" ?

I am so glad that this thread helped in any way.

Massive hug,

Emma
  •  

KimOct

Geez Moni  :P  You have me teary eyed.  That was amazing and should be said to every person that knows a trans-person.  Seriously that was really fantastic.  You captured this journey in a few paragraphs.  Truly profound.

90 people holy crap.  I can't touch that but I want to share a similar gutsy performance by another friend of mine.

She was in the U.S. Coast Guard.  A Commander by title and captain of a boat with a crew of 18.  She left the boat for desk duty about a year or so ago and eventually resigned her commission due to the position on trans-people of our President.

But on the day she left the boat she got up and told her entire assembled crew that she is transgender and that was why she was giving up her command because she thought it would be a distraction for the crew.

Moni - You and she have some bad-ass guts.  :)
The first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself
  •  

KimOct

Quote from: Emma1017 on April 18, 2019, 11:22:30 AM
As I ponder being diagnosed as transgender I am at a loss at how to explain this to others but I am working on it.  Many of thoughts shared here have given me a great start.

When I come out I have confidence that when challenged I can respond that, first, it is not a choice and two, why would anyone choose to be transgender?

My life wasn't perfect but it worked.  I had a wife, career, home, children, friends, family, etc., then I hit 60 years old.  I am not quite sure what the actual trigger or triggers were but suddenly my female sense exploded into my conscious reality.  To simplify, this explosion set into motion the most profound, painful and soul-wrenching dissection of who I am.  I am suddenly challenging my entire life, who I am and what I need to do to ease the pain.

This pain is indescribable to anyone who has never experienced it.  I have had many women chide me when I even tried to empathize with their pregnancy and birth pains.  My pain had no chance of empathy.  Who could I tell this terrible secret to?

I started with a therapist.  Over the last 15 months I have added:

- This thread where I have been painfully bearing my soul to complete strangers (now my friends)
   - An endocrinologist with whom I started HRT which is changing my body and making it weaker
   -A stylist that will eventually have me throw out all of my clothes and make me spend hundreds of dollars for the
     rest of my life on clothes and makeup and I still won't feel pretty enough. 
   -A laser technician who is using a painful laser on my face and body to remove unwanted hair
   -An electrolysis professional who is following up the laser with an electric needle that must zap every hair left over.
   -A voice coach who is making me change a lifetime habit of speaking 
   -A facial surgeon who wants to mash up and rebuild my existing, totally functioning face
   -A bottom surgeon who wants to permanently make me sit down on a toilet and shove devices in a hole he will
     create in my body for the rest of my life. 

In addition, I have jeopardized my life-long relationship with my wife and I will, with great probability, destroy many life-long relationships.  I will be joining one of the most unloved, most misunderstood group of people in the world.

So my answer to the challenging question "Why would anyone choose to be transgender and go through all this?"

Me  ;D

Emma everything you said is exactly true.  What is also true is who you are as a person.  This is your one life, why spend it hiding?  You obviously are choosing the path of truth.

SO PROUD OF YOU.  :)
  •  

Emma1017

I was thinking about you all today.  I started this thread officially August 24, 2018 although I made a weak attempt earlier in the year.  God, I was desperate for somebody to just care but there was no one who could possibly understand...but you all did.

I was alone then and now I am not.  In that time I rediscovered my heart and saw it reflected in so many strangers who shared their hearts with me.  That incredible generosity touched my soul.

I can't tell you how much that has helped me, every day getting through the most painful, lonely and destructive time of my life.

I just simply want to say "Thank you".

With much love and massive hugs,

Emma
  •  

KimOct

On behalf of everyone that contributes,  thank you and you are welcome.  It is a privilege to play a small part in your journey.

Most of us are old enough to remember life before the internet.  Who would think you could become friends with someone that you have never spoken to or met?  For all of its shortcomings and failings it truly can be an amazing thing.

I thank Susan and others on other forums for providing this to us.  Also I want to thank those that contribute financially to make this possible as well.  In recent months I have went through some extremely difficult financial times but the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching and I too will be contributing in May.  To those that have done so for me I thank you.

It's funny how we can begin to care about others simply by sharing our thoughts, fears, support and triumphs.  It may not be a love in the traditional sense but there is a sense of it here. 

We love you Emma in this fancy new fangled sort of way. 

( Hey you kids get off my lawn !! )  It's probably Moni and her trouble maker friends.  Gotta go get the hose.  :D
  •  

Emma1017

Aww Kim you got me crying again
  •  

KimOct

Those are good tears, knowing that someone cares.

I am sitting around downloading music and drinking wine.  I am a very occasional drinker so it doesn't take much.   :D  Looking forward to seeing my daughter tomorrow and then getting my hair done.

While downloading I wanted to include a song that I think is so cool for those of us that don't fit into the usual gender paradigms.

So.... here you go,
Love you Emma and everyone.

•  

Kirsteneklund7

As I lounge on the back verandah in the tropical heat, in a floral  maxi dress in Kirsten mode after work sipping a cold one- Im thinking its an honour to be able to compare notes with you Emma.

So much of what you experience is like what I have found as well. I have one trans friend in Darwin but on Susans I get to interact with transwomen like you all the time.

I would love to hear more episodes of your time as Emma as well. I know its going to happen again- but doesnt it feel so liberating when it does !!

Yours truly, Kirsten.

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on April 20, 2019, 03:02:53 AM

I would love to hear more episodes of your time as Emma as well. I know its going to happen again- but doesnt it feel so liberating when it does !!

Yours truly, Kirsten.

First of all, no pressure, no pressure, but I do have a lovely spot on Kim's lawn picked out to hear more stories of Emma time or Kirsten time. Kim can even join us if she promises to put down the damn hose! I don't usually drink, but I could be talked into it. Where's Gina, she can come too, right? Other friends? Well, I need to check with our host, but I think it's all good. When do we start making trouble? (Rubbing hands together in anticipation.)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: HappyMoni on April 20, 2019, 04:23:19 AM
First of all, no pressure, no pressure, but I do have a lovely spot on Kim's lawn picked out to hear more stories of Emma time or Kirsten time. Kim can even join us if she promises to put down the damn hose! I don't usually drink, but I could be talked into it. Where's Gina, she can come too, right? Other friends? Well, I need to check with our host, but I think it's all good. When do we start making trouble? (Rubbing hands together in anticipation.)
All you girls would love Darwin- its all beer swilling yobbos in blue truckers singlets-

and the men are even worse!

•  

Linde

Quote from: KimOct on April 20, 2019, 12:15:15 AM
Those are good tears, knowing that someone cares.

I am sitting around downloading music and drinking wine.  I am a very occasional drinker so it doesn't take much.   :D  Looking forward to seeing my daughter tomorrow and then getting my hair done.

While downloading I wanted to include a song that I think is so cool for those of us that don't fit into the usual gender paradigms.

So.... here you go,
Love you Emma and everyone.

Thank you for sharing this, I like it a lot!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Emma1017

Kim great song, thanks!

Kirsten I am so jealous that you get to dress at home.  It's still impossible for me at this time but Emma is going shopping with Donna on Tuesday pick out an outfit for my trip to the hairdressers later this month!

Moni, margaritas on Kim's lawn??? ;D
  •  

Tessa James

Emma thank you for creating this thread and my thanks as well to all the supportive people who have weighed in here with you.  I did not pick up on this thread, at first, thinking it might be; Which hurts less... laser or electrolysis :D

The emotional toll of transition is immeasurable and yet, you and other respondents have clearly provided invaluable resources for thoughtfully navigating our shared journey.  After my six plus years of active and purposeful transition the hurt is difficult to calculate but the opportunities for growth, liberation and this sense of gender harmony are worth every bit.

Yes, great song!
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Emma1017 on April 20, 2019, 11:01:19 AM
Kim great song, thanks!

Kirsten I am so jealous that you get to dress at home.  It's still impossible for me at this time but Emma is going shopping with Donna on Tuesday pick out an outfit for my trip to the hairdressers later this month!

Moni, margaritas on Kim's lawn??? ;D

Dr. Kim is that Miley Cyrus, Mary Jane Grace, and Joan Jett?

Emma, yes margaritas on Kim's lawn, otherwise known as Woodstock III. We can invite all the beautiful gender affirming people and some we need to convince. Look forward to hearing about Tuesday. Too much to ask for a picture of the outfit?

Hi Tessa, how are you Hon! Emma is our fearless leader. She does seem to have a lot of rowdy friends. I only stay because I'm a calming influence. lol

]
  •  

HappyMoni

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on April 20, 2019, 05:26:44 AM
All you girls would love Darwin- its all beer swilling yobbos in blue truckers singlets-

and the men are even worse!

Can anyone translate this? lol I get the men being worse part, that is obvious! (Sorry boys!  Girls rule, boys...well, like I said, they're worse.)
Moni

]
  •