Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

DO YOU WEAR A WIG

Started by helenmarie, August 26, 2018, 10:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helenmarie

Do you wear a wig,  my answer is no, but I have just ordered my first wig, so I hope this will change. How do you wear yours, how do you attach it to your own hair. If you have any tips on how to do this & how you get on when wearing a wig, please let me know.

love,  Helenmarie
  •  

Zoe_Kay

Hi Helenmarie!  How exciting!  Wigs are so much fun.
What kind did you order? 

My hair is pretty long so I only wear a wig if I want a really different look. I normally stuff all my hair under a wig cap but sometimes use my own natural hairline, depending on the wig.

A lace front wig can be wonderful but they can be tricky so be sure to invest in some wig tape and watch some online videos so you know how to put them on in the best way for you!

I hope you have lots of fun when your wig arrives!
"To grow, you must be willing to let your present and future be totally unlike your past. Your history is not your destiny." ~ Alan Cohen
  •  

KathyLauren

Yes, my own hair is too thin on top to go out in public.  When dog walking or gardening, I wear a hat.  At all other times, I wear a wig.

I have never had trouble wearing it.  It just slips on over my own hair and the elastic holds it in place.  To keep my own hair under control, I wear a wig cap under it.  (The cap also helps reduce the frequency of washing the wig.)  I keep my hair trimmed short enough to hide easily under the cap, but let it grow long enough to show some curls when wearing a hat.  A bit of a balancing act, that one.

I have a couple that I wear regularly, and a couple more that I wear less often.

I had both my regular wigs trimmed by a hairdresser.  The most common wig fail I have seen is not doing this.  Wigs are deliberately made with too much hair, bangs too long, etc, so that you can have it trimmed to suit your face and head.  Not getting it trimmed means that you will have too much hair, or that you will be unable to wear bangs because they would hang down to your nose.

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

MichelleF82

I have a few wigs, and I most certainly destroyed my first one. All of mine are costume wigs from hollowen stores, but if you pick a good cut, right color, and have a little luck, they can be quite passable.
Ok, a few do-nots from personal experience(just realized you didnt mention, but all this info is for synthetic wigs):
Don't use a standard comb or brush, wide toothed combs are OK, but really unless you slept in it (don't :) ), you can use your fingers. Comb your fingers thrugh, lightly bouncing through any slight tangles. Remember, stretching the hair(or heat) will frizz it up like crazy.
Don't use product intended for normal hair, cleaning is done in a gentle bath of light soap with a wrinse, conditioning should he done with a wig-specific conditioner. If I recall, the Wiki here has more detailed information available. Although,  ill admit, with the light use my wigs get, I haven't cleaned em (since the first one) but I do detangle everytime.

Yes, I killed my first wig by combing standard leave in conditioner into it. There, you, happy? I said it. Lol  (the conditioner made it kinda sticky, and the dirt just loved it, plus, the combing stretched the hair, making friz, which makes tangles....... it was rough.)
  •  

Virginia

Wigs are fun! My Mother must have had about a dozen of them growing up. It cut waaay down on the time it took her to get ready for work in the mornings and she experimented with lots of different length, colors and cuts. LOL, I forgot what she looked like after awhile. Wigs sort of suck in the summer, but my female alter still likes to wear one now and then in the winter to keep her head warm without getting "hat head."
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

helenmarie

Hi Michellef82,   Thanks for answering my question & giving me your tips on combing hair, & not using conditioner or other hair products. Yes my one I have ordered is synthetic, I am going to try this first, as real hair ones are very expensive.
                          love Helenmarie
  •  

Carolina

Nervous new (older) girl in the room here.  (And one who lives for most of her life in a closet.)  But I have been thinking about a wig.

The problem is, I'm a Big girl.  My head size is 2 inches larger than the "fits all" size.  And although I understand that "better quality" Does come in my size, the cost is considerably more than the "costume wigs".  (Not to mention the difficulty of properly storing and caring for one in a closet.  I understand that a wig stand is a good thing to own for better quality wigs).

And, I currently wear my natural hair long, an inch or two below my shoulders.  What does one do with one's own hair when wearing a wig?

Carolina

•  

KathyLauren

Hi, Carolina!

Welcome to Susan's Place.

No need to be nervous, hun.  We have all been there.

Sorry, I can't help you with sizing.  I havent figured out my own size yet.  My medium wigs are a bit small, and my one large fits well, so I guess I'm a large.  But I have no idea how my head compares to others', except that it's large.

Since I wear a wig any time I am out in town, I keep my own hair fairly short.  Long enough to show some curls if I'm wearing just a hat (dog walking, for example), but short enough to tuck under the wig.  I strongly recommend a wig cap.  I brush my own hair back so it is off my ears, then put the cap over it, tucking all my hair under it.  I can tuck a couple of inches under it at the back without too much problem.  It would be harder with shoulder length hair, and you'd need a larger size wig to accommodate the larger volume.  Once my hair is hidden, it is easy to put the wig on over the cap.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.  Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Carolina on September 02, 2018, 11:14:22 PM
   Nervous new (older) girl in the room here.  (And one who lives for most of her life in a closet.)  But I have been thinking about a wig.

The problem is, I'm a Big girl.  My head size is 2 inches larger than the "fits all" size.  And although I understand that "better quality" Does come in my size, the cost is considerably more than the "costume wigs".  (Not to mention the difficulty of properly storing and caring for one in a closet.  I understand that a wig stand is a good thing to own for better quality wigs).

Wig stands are a good idea.  The simple plastic frames are best.  Those styrofoam heads you may see in the stores?  Avoid!  The wig needs some ventilation when off your head and on a stand and the open frames work best, whether for storing or drying the wig after washing.

From the sound your size is likely 'large'.  Better wigs are built on a cap structure that has quite a bit of 'give', as well as elastic and Velcro tabs that can adjust the tension of the cap's edge to  hold comfortably

I had a canvas and wire frame box made for carrying file folders that zipped shut. I found that it could easily hold three wig stands and wigs, and used that to store them. I'm now full-time, and the stands are just part of the junk on top of my bedroom dresser.

I use these or the equivalent: https://www.amazon.com/LEMO®-AmoVee-Stand-Portable-Dryer/dp/B0067F998G

And, I currently wear my natural hair long, an inch or two below my shoulders.  What does one do with one's own hair when wearing a wig?

Light nylon wig caps!  These are in beige or black (get the one closer to your skin tone), and are just a custom made stocking cap.  Brush the natural hair back and up, then catch it in the wig cap.  The cap will wind up on the natural hairline at the front.  Your wig goes on top of this cap, and covers it completely.

They are fairly cheap, in packs of 3 in most shops, and can be washed and reused.  I buy wholesale packs of 100 and wash and reuse each cap several times.  The price per cap is much better for the 100 cap packs.
https://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Town-Wig-Pieces-Bulk/dp/B00CQAFUNO/

There are some good older threads on wigs here:
lace Front Wigs

I posted a bit on the construction and wearing of the lace front wigs here:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,219729.msg1946699.html#msg1946699

And a couple years ago I wrote a sort of short survey of wig types: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,212627.msg1883626.html#msg1883626

A bit on how I chose my current look and how the wigs have held up for me:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,239163.msg2154311.html#msg2154311
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Carolina

Thank you KathyLauren and Thank you Michelle.P.   I very much appreciate your encouragement -- something which can be difficult to find in the large world outside.  Carolina
  •  

Alice (nym)

Is it best to grow out what hair you have (I've got quite a bit on the back and sides - just not at the front and top) or is it best to keep your head shaven when wearing a wig?
Don't hate the hate... Start spreading the love.
  •  

Rayna

Quote from: Alice (nym) on October 22, 2018, 07:22:44 PM
Is it best to grow out what hair you have (I've got quite a bit on the back and sides - just not at the front and top) or is it best to keep your head shaven when wearing a wig?
I also interested in people's experience with this question as well. For myself, I rarely wear a wig any more. I'm growing out my hair (similar pattern, hair around the sides and back) and wearing hats much of the time. Even a ball cap works, and I notice that many women wear them as well.
If so, then why not?
  •  

SueNZ

I can only grow hair around the sides and back and it is getting less all the time. I have decided that I will have IPL on my scalp as I am over the constant shaving every second day. This means I have a blank canvas for any type of wig I would like to wear. The best means of defence to baldness is attack which is exactly what I am going to do.
Treat life's difficult times as if they are normal moments, this makes the normal and special ones even more fantastic.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I used to a lot.  If I get to craving the past shoulder length hair look, I might again, but not for short lengths.  Unless perhaps if I wanted to try a new hair color or highlighting.

Women have so many more pretty options than men for hair and wigs can help in that regard.
Many times I see a pretty face with gorgeous hair and outfit and wished that I could nail down that look.  Then too the hourglass figure of course.   :)   Sigh.  Maybe take off 20 years too.  Ha.

If you can have your own hair grow and look feminine, or perhaps
somehow be able to have your hair look good for both male and female presentations if you are not full-time or if you perhaps are genderfluid, that is the way to go for an everyday look.

If I get bald spots I might have to wear a wig.  There are many wonderful ones out there.
Michelle provided lots of good information about wigs in her post in this thread.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Alyssa2U

I do wear them and I am very much on the fence about it....nothing I ever buy really looks "natch"...I mean not even really close and I want to buy a real hair version rather than these that I have been buying BUT I have noticed on some threads about this topic on other sites that everyone says the expensive natural hair wigs are not much different from the synthetics...am I buying the wrong synthetic wigs ???
Can someone please post links to places where you have purchased and been uber happy with what you got?  The thing is that I love to change the colors and styles to go along with the lingerie' I intend to wear during sexual encounters but yeah .....its sometimes depressing because these things I have - they do the job - but just like any other woman I want to feel pretty even if I am the only one concerned about likening it.
Thanks for any help.
  •  

Nuno Cardoso

I dont use a wig for 2 reasons. First, as i still live with my parents i have nowhere to hide it safelly, and second, i have been letting my hair grow for 3 years now and i have it at chest length ( when brushed). I just need to brush it when i want to look more fem and im good ;D
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Alyssa2U on November 18, 2018, 03:44:32 AM
I do wear them and I am very much on the fence about it....nothing I ever buy really looks "natch"...I mean not even really close and I want to buy a real hair version rather than these that I have been buying BUT I have noticed on some threads about this topic on other sites that everyone says the expensive natural hair wigs are not much different from the synthetics...am I buying the wrong synthetic wigs ???
Hi, Alyssa.  I would be skeptical of any wig that cost much less than $100.  Even a good wig will not look natural right out of the box.  As I said in an earlier post in this thread, wigs are designed with excess hair, with the expectation that they will be trimmed after purchase.

Take it to a good hair stylist.  Make sure they are good, because mistakes will not grow back!  Ask for recommendations.  The wig will likely need to be trimmed for length in some places, and thinned out in others.  The wig I am wearing in my current avatar took a lot of trimming, because it was just too much hair!  The length was mostly fine, though the bangs needed trimming, but she had to take a lot of volume out from the top.  The result is something I am happy to wear, because it looks good.
  •  

Lyric

Kathy, you're an exceptional wig wearer in that you're wig looks reasonably like it is your own hair. This is not an easy thing to achieve, for sure. Any aspiring wig wearer would be wise to take all of your advice. I've been a wig enthusiast for years, though never worn one constantly (something that may change soon enough). I've got 4 or 5 wearable ones in the closet right now that fun for occasional use.

After trying both synthetics and human hair, human hair wins by a mile for me. But don't bother with the cheapest ones. My first HH wig was a $100 bob style one and it turned to useless frizz the first time I washed it. You want the best quality you can afford and then you must take very good care of it-- especially human hair.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Alyssa2U

Quote from: KathyLauren on August 26, 2018, 11:12:14 AM
Yes, my own hair is too thin on top to go out in public.  When dog walking or gardening, I wear a hat.  At all other times, I wear a wig.

I have never had trouble wearing it.  It just slips on over my own hair and the elastic holds it in place.  To keep my own hair under control, I wear a wig cap under it.  (The cap also helps reduce the frequency of washing the wig.)  I keep my hair trimmed short enough to hide easily under the cap, but let it grow long enough to show some curls when wearing a hat.  A bit of a balancing act, that one.

I have a couple that I wear regularly, and a couple more that I wear less often.

I had both my regular wigs trimmed by a hairdresser.  The most common wig fail I have seen is not doing this.  Wigs are deliberately made with too much hair, bangs too long, etc, so that you can have it trimmed to suit your face and head.  Not getting it trimmed means that you will have too much hair, or that you will be unable to wear bangs because they would hang down to your nose.

I actually DID read the post you mentioned but the info got lost in my little head I guess because I just found the site last night and spent at least three hours exploring it so very sorry lol . SO much good info here. I love what you have done with your hair there (wig) it does look natural to me. i have read a few of your responses and you are definitely one of the go-to girls in my opinion. Thanks for being so sweet with helping all us out, especially newbies like me.
  •  

biannne

A few year ago, I wore a wig all the time. Now that my hair is long, I only wear wig when I want to different style or different look.
I have a couple of wigs for a long time and I usually slip them over my real hair and the elastic band usually them in place.

Anna
Truth Shall Set You Free
  •