Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Donica's She Shed

Started by Donica, September 01, 2018, 11:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donica

A note for all that are planning to change their name and gender, or even just your name change.

It appears that I have fallen down the rabbit hole into a mess of dropped and still bouncing balls as our dear sister @Stevi has experienced with SSA, Medicare and Kaiser, failing to properly update their records.

As Stevi has informed us in her thread, it is not enough to expect SSA to complete their process of properly updating their records. With all my legal documents in hand, I filed my name and gender change with SSA back in October of last year. Their records reflect all the correct changes and I received a new card. However, they failed to update their MASTER RECORD so that Medicare could follow up with their record change process.

I finally contacted Medicare to see what their holdup was only to learn that SSA had dropped the ball. Two calls to SSA later, I finally got them to update their MASTER RECORD. Great! Medicare then followed up with their records changes and sent me my new Medicare card 7 days later. Again, Great! Upon receiving my new MC card, I contacted Kaiser Member Services and requested updates and a new card.

After a month, I started sending emails and calls to Kaiser Member Services. They too had dropped the ball and didn't follow up. Member services just kept telling me they had to wait for a updated file from Medicare? And now, another month later, (Today), I called Medicare to find out why this updated file has not been sent to Kaiser? They told me it is Kasier's responsibility to contact Medicare??? Ok, my head is spinning now!

During my call with Medicare this morning, I learned that my gender marker had not been properly update by SSA. So, back to SSA with a call to their main office, They found their gender marker mistake in their master records but were unable to correct it from their end? They told me it had to be corrected at the local office that I originally filed my legal documents with. The SSA representative was very apologetic and helpful (which is saying alot since they are not being payed right now) and went out of her way to forward a request to my local SSA office to update my gender marker in their master record and forward the correction to Medicare. They already have my correct gender marker in their records, just not in the master record.

Realizing it was not all Kaiser's fault for the holdup, I called member services again this morning and informed them of the mistake by SSA. Member services then informed me that they had been contacted by Medicare and actually had all my new information, just the wrong marker, and asked her supervisor if it was possible for them to just update my medical records and send me a new card. Her supervisor then sent the request to the main Kaiser office.

Because my Kaiser health care plan goes through Medicare, I may still have to wait for another around of updates. The member services representative told me to give it two more weeks for Kaiser to ok the update and if I haven't received a new med card yet, to start calling and emailing again!!!

So, bottom line, don't expect them to do their job complete and correctly for one reason or another. Their personnel may not even know the proper procedures. You will have to do their job for them. You will need to be diligent and patient with them. They really are trying to do the right thing.

Hugs!
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

KathyLauren

I have heard of issues regarding SSA's "master record" before. 

As an IT professional, this burns me up.  There is no excuse for a system that does not automatically propagate changes to the master record.  Failure of the software to do so is a design flaw.  Knowing that the software is flawed, failing to train front-line people to automatically propagate all changes up to the master record is an administrative failure.  Inexcusable!

It is unreasonable to ask clients to instruct SSA employees in the proper use of their database, but that's what it comes down to.  [/rant]
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 23, 2019, 12:16:45 PM

@sarah1972 

@Donica     
@AvaNovum   
@KathyLauren   
@ChrissyRyan   
@Steph2.0   
@davina61   
@Jessica

Dear Sarah:
ahhhh.... so that is what we all are ...  "...the usual (hooligan) crowd..."
.... that sounds about right!!!   
So very sorry dear @AvaNovum if you got sucked into this group of hooligan ladies, but I want to assure you that our hearts are all in a good place, we definitely care for each other and we are all everyone elses biggest fans and supporters. ...

.... So anyway AvaNovum, wishing you a warm welcome to the site and to the best group of friends you could have here on the Susan's Place Forums... there are certainly many, many others here on the Forums that I could mention but my post would be prohibitively long if I did.

Hugs and best wishes to all of my hooligan friends.... wishing you all well.  [emoji173]
Danielle

Thank you Danielle and Sarah! Yes, we are quite the fun bunch of ladies. Fun loving Hooligans indeed.

Yes! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you Sarah. I often get sidetracked don't ya know! Normal? Hummm! Well, ok. I'll go with that. Aside from a few legal document hiccups, I am doing well. I have been following your thread and I am glad to see you two are doing well too and enjoying lots of fun with Kiddo.

It is getting down to the wire with Ava's surgery coming up very fast. I think I'm more nervous about it than she is. We did some shopping last night and I bought the cutest pair of suede ankle boots. But the late nights are over for the next couple of days as they want her at the hospital very early and I want to make sure I get her there on time.

I will give updates on her progress but I will let Ava share the details of her journey.

That's all I got for now.
Hugs everyone!
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Donica

Quote from: KathyLauren on January 23, 2019, 01:50:29 PM
I have heard of issues regarding SSA's "master record" before. 

As an IT professional, this burns me up.  There is no excuse for a system that does not automatically propagate changes to the master record.  Failure of the software to do so is a design flaw.  Knowing that the software is flawed, failing to train front-line people to automatically propagate all changes up to the master record is an administrative failure.  Inexcusable!

It is unreasonable to ask clients to instruct SSA employees in the proper use of their database, but that's what it comes down to.  [/rant]

Hi Kathy! Yes it is quite frustrating at times. I most certainly would not have a job if I dropped ANY details as they do. Perhaps the lack of serious consequences creates the half hearted complacency we all see in what should otherwise be taken much more seriously. Some of the representatives and operators are better informed than others.

In my case, it's a matter of contacting the well informed representative who will complete and follow up with the updates so we can avoid the repeated stress and lost time. What's the old saying? Third time's the charm?

We'll see. Keeping my fingers crossed, my phone charged and my email contacts well updated. Pressure valve opened and [/rant]
  •  

Laurie

Hi Donica,

You have had such a hassle to get you SSA, medicare, and Kaiser name changes all done correctly that I almost 9not quite just almost) feel sorry for you. My changes went so easy for me I was genuinely surprised. The hardest part for me was the 2+ hour wait to talk to a SSA agent. When I did she was very nice and very thorough. She remembered all of the things she needed to do and it did take a fair amount of time but in the end everything got done as it should. I got my SSA card and then my new medicare card without me having to do anything else.
  Kaiser was just as easy. But that might be because I signed up with them after getting the other things done. I submitted the forms with my updated name and gender. From there they found my previous membership with them from when I was still working and those changes were made and I got my new Kaiser card with the correct name on it.
  I have expressed to Michelle several times now that I cannot believe how little problems I have had along the way with all aspects of my transition. It's almost bee ask and you shall receive. There have been a few nuisance things but not much. The big one was losing my daughter and grand children because of my decision to transition. I still get thoughts that maybe I'm wrong or the cost is too high. I still don't know the answers.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

davina61

Fingers crossed it all goes through OK, this hooligan has made a coffee walnut cake .proof!!! one of the lads was leaving (known him for 4 1/2 years) looks like it was edible.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Laurie on January 23, 2019, 10:09:30 PM
Hi Donica,

You have had such a hassle to get you SSA, medicare, and Kaiser name changes all done correctly that I almost 9not quite just almost) feel sorry for you. My changes went so easy for me I was genuinely surprised. The hardest part for me was the 2+ hour wait to talk to a SSA agent. When I did she was very nice and very thorough. She remembered all of the things she needed to do and it did take a fair amount of time but in the end everything got done as it should. I got my SSA card and then my new medicare card without me having to do anything else.
  Kaiser was just as easy. But that might be because I signed up with them after getting the other things done. I submitted the forms with my updated name and gender. From there they found my previous membership with them from when I was still working and those changes were made and I got my new Kaiser card with the correct name on it.
  I have expressed to Michelle several times now that I cannot believe how little problems I have had along the way with all aspects of my transition. It's almost bee ask and you shall receive. There have been a few nuisance things but not much. The big one was losing my daughter and grand children because of my decision to transition. I still get thoughts that maybe I'm wrong or the cost is too high. I still don't know the answers.

Hi Laurie! Surprisingly I only had to wait around 10 minutes to see the SSA agent. It took him much longer to change their records. That part he got right, including my gender. He just didn't follow through and update the master record and that's where this whole mess started. I too got my new SSA card with in 10 days of my visit.

Most people don't know SSA has two sets of records and both of these records have to match. SSA's own records are not public. Their master records are public but they are only available to Medicare, DMV and financial institutions. I can only guess the reasoning for two records is for security. Unfortunately this continues to create problems.

I'll give it two more weeks and then I will start a new round of emails, phone calls and another visit in person with my local SSA agents. One thing I don't understand is why couldn't the agent at the main SSA office make the changes?

Oh yes Davina! I would say your coffee walnut cake was a success. I mentioned in Danielle's thread that your cake looked delish.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Donica on January 24, 2019, 03:10:01 PM
Hi Laurie! Surprisingly I only had to wait around 10 minutes to see the SSA agent. It took him much longer to change their records. That part he got right, including my gender. He just didn't follow through and update the master record and that's where this whole mess started. I too got my new SSA card with in 10 days of my visit.

Most people don't know SSA has two sets of records and both of these records have to match. SSA's own records are not public. Their master records are public but they are only available to Medicare, DMV and financial institutions. I can only guess the reasoning for two records is for security. Unfortunately this continues to create problems.

I'll give it two more weeks and then I will start a new round of emails, phone calls and another visit in person with my local SSA agents. One thing I don't understand is why couldn't the agent at the main SSA office make the changes?

Oh yes Davina! I would say your coffee walnut cake was a success. I mentioned in Danielle's thread that your cake looked delish.

You have me wondering now. My name and gender change in December 2017 was effortless, but how could I know what's in the "master record"? When Florida DMV did my driver license update a week later they got it right, and I was told that SSC had to be done first. But DMV wanted their own gender change letter, so it's unknown if they looked at that data from the feds.

Any idea how I could check without having to go to an office?

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 24, 2019, 03:52:41 PM
You have me wondering now. My name and gender change in December 2017 was effortless, but how could I know what's in the "master record"? When Florida DMV did my driver license update a week later they got it right, and I was told that SSC had to be done first. But DMV wanted their own gender change letter, so it's unknown if they looked at that data from the feds.

Any idea how I could check without having to go to an office?

Stephanie

You are correct Stephanie. The DMV still uses a separate form for the gender marker. In California, the DMV does not require a court order to change you name. They only require a new SSA card. They do require a court order for your gender change.

Yes, the order for changing everything is, SSA, Medicare (if applicable and should be automatic) and the DMV, and then everything else. I may have missed a step in between SSA and DMV. I'll have to check my notes again.

I found out by making phone calls to Medicare and SSA's main office. I gave up on trying to login to their websites because (I assume) when I changed my name they deleted my login info? I can't even reregister right now for some reason. Still unclear about that.
  •  

Donica

Hi everyone! Just a heads up update. Ava just went in for surgery. She should be done between 5:00pm and 7:00pm. It's lonely in the waiting room. I guess I'll read Stephenie Robinson's book and head for the cafeteria. I'll post updates later.
  •  

Laurie

Hi Donica,

I hope Ava goes well and w/o any issues. Waiting and wonder what's happening isn't a lot of fun. Best wishes for her.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Donica

Hi everyone! Ave flew through surgery with flying colors. She was in for 8 hours. She looks good. We are documenting with pictures. Ava may start her own FFS thread when she feels up to it. She's feeling a little better than last night but as we all know, it's going to be a couple days before she feels up for anything. More updates soon.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Donica on January 26, 2019, 01:38:39 PM
Hi everyone! Ave flew through surgery with flying colors. She was in for 8 hours. She looks good. We are documenting with pictures. Ava may start her own FFS thread when she feels up to it. She's feeling a little better than last night but as we all know, it's going to be a couple days before she feels up for anything. More updates soon.

@Donica
Dear Donica:
This is wonderful news.... we have all been rooting for your friend Ava.   
WOW...  8 HOURS!!!   She now needs her rest for sure.

Yes, for sure encourage @Ava to start her own personal thread...
...  very helpful to have one place to share her transition events.

Thank you for keep us all updated...
I will be eagerly looking for more updates as they are posted by you or by Ava.

Hugs to both of you....
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Donica

Well, I beleive it was Tia that warned us to keep a supply of tissues handy. Yesterday was day 3 post-op for Ava's FFS. She said she was feeling better so we decided to watch The Danish Girl last night. Yes indeed we needed the tissues. Thank you for the heads up Tia! We both cried at key points and at the end of the movie. I am still in tears as I write about it this morning. I highly recommend this movie. It was one of the most heart felt movies I've ever seen.

Today day 4 post-op for Ava. Although she is feeling better, she is feeling the nasty side affects of having to stop HRT. She will get to restart HRT this Friday. Yay!!! She'll make it.

I've been a little busy the past few days. Susan's has gone viral again meaning I have alot of catching up to do. More updates coming soon.

Hugs my dear friends!
  •  

Donica

More sad news on the name and gender change front. All the promises from phone calls two weeks ago did not happen.

So, I gathered up all my court documents and headed back to the local SSA office in person for a second time. The clerk said, "I'm so sorry you had to go through all this. I just filed your gender update in a batch file that will run over night and will be fixed by morning. I will personally give you a call tomorrow when the update is complete."
[emoji19] This was the very same thing they told me the first time I filed 4 months ago.

I'm so tired of this, writing about it and I'm sure it's getting old for you all to hear about it. In stead of writing about this not happen, I will update everyone when they finally come through for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

•  

Faith

VENT!! it's ok to VENT VENT VENT ... I do :) (just not always on here)
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Donica on February 04, 2019, 04:53:08 PM
More sad news on the name and gender change front. All the promises from phone calls two weeks ago did not happen.

So, I gathered up all my court documents and headed back to the local SSA office in person for a second time. The clerk said, "I'm so sorry you had to go through all this. I just filed your gender update in a batch file that will run over night and will be fixed by morning. I will personally give you a call tomorrow when the update is complete."
[emoji19] This was the very same thing they told me the first time I filed 4 months ago.

I'm so tired of this, writing about it and I'm sure it's getting old for you all to hear about it. In stead of writing about this not happen, I will update everyone when they finally come through for me.

Arrrrrg!

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Donica on February 04, 2019, 04:53:08 PM

@Donica
Dear Donica:
I agree with the reply comment from @Jessica ... "Arrrrg!"   
Please, please, please... continue posting and writing about your trials and tribulations, it not only allows others to experience the name and gender change process with you... good or bad... but it also allows you to write it out and share it with others that are rooting for your success.  Please allow your followers to "follow" along with you and we can all be frustrated together when things are not going well, and when things finally go right, we can all rejoice and be happy together!

PLEASE CONTINUE SHARING WITH ALL OF US.... your followers want to follow.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

davina61

Took me ages due to not understanding the legal language and my solicitor having not done one before (he misread it as well) . Think some one needs a slap or pointy  toe boot up there backside, will keep my fingers crossed .
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Donica

I have good news! I finally got my new medical card. Squeeeeyay!!! The clerk from yesterday did call this morning as promised but they are still working on the gender change [emoji53]. She said she would call me back when the updates go through. At least I have my new card and no more missgendering at Kaiser. Yay!

•