Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How do YOU handle the cold?

Started by Lady Sarah, September 03, 2018, 04:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria L.

If estrogen ended up changing my temperature tolerances I'm not sure how I would feel. I quite like preferring the cold, because it is just naturally easier to deal with. Even cold indoor temperatures are so much easier to deal with than hot, and they make me feel much better than warmer indoor temperatures which just put me in really bad mood and stifle my ability to sleep under the covers I want to.

On the other hand, I live in the south US and the temperature veers warm to hot here, and can even get too warm for me in the winter. I'm tired of hating the weather the vast majority of the year. I just can't understand why people look forward to Spring when the temperatures are already mostly in the 50s and 60s during the winter. Is that not what Spring is supposed to be like and not the hot mid-70s, 80s, and 90s that we always get in calendar Spring?

On the other other hand (lol, sorry), my family is thinking of moving Northeast, so more susceptibility to the cold could be quite detrimental for me. Still, I think I already have weird, uneven temperature tolerances. I can get cold super easily already, but I get hot super easily too. Even if it's in the 60s, if the sun is out and the wind is absent I will feel very uncomfortably warm. It's gotten worse in recent years. I've always gotten cold pretty easily, but getting warm super easily is happening more often as of late.
  •  

Linde

@Virelai
I lived for over 40 years at the Minnesota/Wisconsin border.  Anybody who has no lived around there, has no idea what cold temperatures are (there is a reason that almost all global car manufacturers have their cold weather labs there in northern Minnesota).

I was so sick and tired of freezing half of the year that I moved a year ago to south west Florida.  It feels great to never ever have cold feet again!  You can move as north as you want, I came to the conclusion that i an crank the air up, if it gets to warm!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Victoria L.

Quote from: Dietlind on February 08, 2019, 02:30:40 PM
@Virelai
I lived for over 40 years at the Minnesota/Wisconsin border.  Anybody who has no lived around there, has no idea what cold temperatures are (there is a reason that almost all global car manufacturers have their cold weather labs there in northern Minnesota).

I was so sick and tired of freezing half of the year that I moved a year ago to south west Florida.  It feels great to never ever have cold feet again!  You can move as north as you want, I came to the conclusion that i an crank the air up, if it gets to warm!

I have no doubt the sheer cold that the Northern states like Minnesota, Wisconsin deal with. That's why it is good my family is thinking Northeast, like the New England states. There it is cold during the winter, but not like -30F cold. If anything New England winters are more how I imagine winter should be, whereas winter I live is so fake and people complaining about it just makes me laugh. Today it is just barely not going to reach freezing (32 degrees) for a high, and *that* is what people where I live consider arctic air. That's chilly, yes, but just think that's what people around here freak out about. lol

I wonder if that's what estrogen would turn me into. That thought kind of scares me. But I need it... No matter how it changes me...

Southwest Florida? I don't think I could be paid to live in Florida. I seriously think I would be so depressed, since autumn and winter are what make me happy. Florida just looks like it has everything I hate - heat, humidity, bugs, tornadoes, hurricanes, everything bad. All year around. No thank you! No air-conditioner my family has ever had can completely combat the heat and I can't stand it.
  •  

Maid Marion

What skinny GGs do where I work is to  wear multiple layers.

Kohls just sent me a 30% off coupon so I bought a gray cardigan and five long sleeved tops, for an average discount of 81%  I took the day off so I could see a movie and shop before the discount racks were picked over by the weekend crowd.
  •  

Tessa James

Funny how 62 F days in the summer feel great but that same temperature in winter is more challenging?

I love those cuddle by the fireplace solutions, such a warm image. :D  I live in the pacific northwest temperate rainforest along the coast and love it.  Feels like perpetual spring and fall weather here with a forest biomass and ocean nearby to moderate temperatures.  It is usually around 50 F, give or take 10-20 for seasonal shifts.  We get many feet of rain with our swamps, bogs, fens, forests and estuaries enjoying every drop.  Cold that is temporary can be fun but I just visited my birth home of Minnesnowta where the day I left it was 28 F below zero with a windchill of -50.  Now that felt just plain frightening at times, brrrr
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Tessa James on February 08, 2019, 05:54:51 PM
I just visited my birth home of Minnesnowta where the day I left it was 28 F below zero with a windchill of -50.  Now that felt just plain frightening at times, brrrr

Work kept me there for 40+ years, in the grips of the eternal winter!  I m so glad now to not have cold feet again.  It was 83º here today, and that is just right for my old bones!

•  

Monica

Quote from: Dietlind on February 08, 2019, 06:41:57 PM
It was 83º here today, and that is just right for my old bones!

That sounds great. I've been working on the east coast for a couple of months now, at the 40ish degrees we got today felt like a calm reprieve. It was nice. I think I'm going to do Arizona next year, though.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

I have been following this thread since it was started back in September last year by @Lady Sarah ...   I have resisted posting a comment here until now because I am just the opposite of the premise of the Subject Title... "How do YOU handle the cold?"
Handling the cold up here where I live is not an issue if one wears the proper clothing, hats, boots, gloves, etc, and keeps vehicles and homes well maintained with properly working heating equipment, etc.

I have a much bigger issue with handling the high HEAT and humidity down south....
One can only take off so many clothes... and cooling a car and a home is much more difficult and more expensive than HEATING them....  science and physics backs up that fact...

This coming summer with the occasional heatwaves that happen in many states I just may start a thread, "How do YOU handle the heat?"

Now, with much of the "lower 48"... many states and areas of the USA are experiencing the opposite of Global Warming with very unseasonably colder weather...  sub-zero temperatures, icy and snowy weather with snow accumulations exceeding the norms.
I trust that all of my Forums friends are staying safe, staying dry, and staying warm.

Regarding staying warm... I like to do it in a very pleasant way, In the Late Summer or Fall Season on a chilly night I have a back yard fire pit that I sit in front of and that I cuddle up with my favorite suitor#4, my Toothfairy, and have a "Toasty Toes" evening. 
I also have a propane fireplace in my living room that in the dead of a bitter cold winter is utilized the very same pleasant way.

Hugs and stay warm,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

Carna

Well, first thing is don't wear narrow clothes. Second thing, many layears of clothes won't help, why, because rule #1, don't wear narrow clothes. Third thing is drink hot beverages and if you can go into shop or cafee just go, it can help you to warm up a little.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Carna on February 18, 2019, 06:41:54 AM
Well, first thing is don't wear narrow clothes. Second thing, many layears of clothes won't help, why, because rule #1, don't wear narrow clothes. Third thing is drink hot beverages and if you can go into shop or cafee just go, it can help you to warm up a little.

@Carna
Dear Carna:
     I am so very glad that you have become a member here and this is your very first posting.   I am happy to see that you found the Susan's Place Forums.

As you post on the forums you will be able to exchange thoughts and comments with others that are experiencing many of the same things that you are.   I expect that you will be getting many members offering their thoughts and suggestions as you continue to post here. 

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation and as you continue to feel free to share with all of us.

I also want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***There is a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new like-minded friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

I have attached important and informative LINKS that will help you to navigate around the Forums and will allow you to enjoy the features here.     
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Carna on February 18, 2019, 06:41:54 AM
@Carna 
Oh, and another thing Carna...
Please plan to write a post and tell us more about yourself in the Introductions Forum so that other members will be aware of your arrival... therefore you will be able to share your thoughts with more members here.

Thank you again for joining Susan's Place and being involved in the Forums here.
Best wishes to you,
Danielle

NOTE: Now after all of this Greeting Stuff I will let you have your thread back so you can pursue answers to your questions.
Other members here will certainly be along to give you their comments and suggestions that you may be seeking

•  

Lady Sarah

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on February 08, 2019, 10:32:56 PM
I have been following this thread since it was started back in September last year by @Lady Sarah ...   I have resisted posting a comment here until now because I am just the opposite of the premise of the Subject Title... "How do YOU handle the cold?"
Handling the cold up here where I live is not an issue if one wears the proper clothing, hats, boots, gloves, etc, and keeps vehicles and homes well maintained with properly working heating equipment, etc.

I have a much bigger issue with handling the high HEAT and humidity down south....
One can only take off so many clothes... and cooling a car and a home is much more difficult and more expensive than HEATING them....  science and physics backs up that fact...

This coming summer with the occasional heatwaves that happen in many states I just may start a thread, "How do YOU handle the heat?"

Now, with much of the "lower 48"... many states and areas of the USA are experiencing the opposite of Global Warming with very unseasonably colder weather...  sub-zero temperatures, icy and snowy weather with snow accumulations exceeding the norms.
I trust that all of my Forums friends are staying safe, staying dry, and staying warm.

Regarding staying warm... I like to do it in a very pleasant way, In the Late Summer or Fall Season on a chilly night I have a back yard fire pit that I sit in front of and that I cuddle up with my favorite suitor#4, my Toothfairy, and have a "Toasty Toes" evening. 
I also have a propane fireplace in my living room that in the dead of a bitter cold winter is utilized the very same pleasant way.

Hugs and stay warm,
Danielle

You have adapted to a colder climate. I can imagine you prefer the summers over the winters tho.

I have noticed many vehicles in Texas with Alaska plates. Some television shows have shown just how brutal Alaskan winters can be.

Those whom have adapted to hotter climates can handle the heat much better. However, this thread was about men and women living within the same microclimate (At any particular location) handling temperature variances much differently than their counterparts.  I even referenced a study demonstrating that men prefer cooler temperatures than women.

This could be because (in some work places) men wear suits, while women wear lighter clothing, with less of an insulation factor. Coincidentally, it might be that some women choose to dress provocatively, and lack the insulated layers of a suit.

Personally, I dress for comfort. I am 52, and married. I need not dress to attract a mate. Still, the cold seems to cut right through me, and my joints feel every bit of it.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Maid Marion

I just bought a collection of sweaters and cardigans.    I got a complement from a GG about the one from Forever 21. It is easily the warmest of the bunch.

•  

MaryT

Quote from: Lady Sarah on September 10, 2018, 06:21:10 PM
My husband will wear shorts and a tank top when it's 50° outside, and wonders why I put on a jacket. He is only 2 inches shorter than I am, but also outweighs me by 35 lbs. He has more of his own insulation than I do, and wonders why I don't like the cold as much as he does.

Quote from: Lady Sarah on February 18, 2019, 11:05:41 PM
... However, this thread was about men and women living within the same microclimate (At any particular location) handling temperature variances much differently than their counterparts.  I even referenced a study demonstrating that men prefer cooler temperatures than women.

This could be because (in some work places) men wear suits, while women wear lighter clothing, with less of an insulation factor. Coincidentally, it might be that some women choose to dress provocatively, and lack the insulated layers of a suit.

It is interesting that men seem to feel the cold less.  Women usually have a higher percentage of body fat.  Women's nipples are obviously more sensitive but apart from that, I would have thought that their body fat would help in cold weather.  Of course, body fat is on the inside of the skin so if the skin is more sensitive, body fat may keep internal organs from freezing but it won't make women feel the cold less.

My mother used to say that men do feel the cold but that they often wear less to show how tiough they are.  However, that would not explain why HRT makes trans women more sensitive to cold.

For myself, like many people, I can't afford to warm my home, so in winter, I wear a hat indoors even though I have a good head of hair.  When I neglect to do so, I become really ill quite quickly.  In winter I also wear two pairs of socks including a thick pair and I am going to get a balaclava to sleep in.  I sometimes tie a scarf around my head to cover my ears and nose.

•  

ChrissyRyan

I would wear another layer, such as a sweater, to warm.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Linde

I am so glad that I left all of that cold stuff behind!  It was 89 F today, I even had to turn the air on for a while!

•  

ChrissyRyan

I would get under some comfy warm blankets.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Dietlind on February 19, 2019, 07:44:56 PM
I am so glad that I left all of that cold stuff behind!  It was 89 F today, I even had to turn the air on for a while!

@Dietlind
Dear Linde......
You've gotta be kidding... here way up North it snowed heavily last night and earlier today and is 12 deg F right now at almost 5:00pm and tonight will be -4 deg F. 
Then in the upper Midwest it is snow and cold coming their way and lots of rain and flooding  in the South Central states.

Please enjoy the nice weather and your Air Conditioning as your recover from your surgery.

I am always wishing you the best,
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

Linde

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on February 19, 2019, 07:53:16 PM
@Dietlind
Dear Linde......
You've gotta be kidding... here way up North it snowed heavily last night and earlier today and is 12 deg F right now at almost 5:00pm and tonight will be -4 deg F. 
Then in the upper Midwest it is snow and cold coming their way and lots of rain and flooding  in the South Central states.

Please enjoy the nice weather and your Air Conditioning as your recover from your surgery.

I am always wishing you the best,
Hugs,
Danielle
It is 12 F at the place I ran away from 1 1/2 years ago!  I had that experience for more than 40 years. I think I have the right to get at least some decades with warm weather now!
Thank you for your good wishes!

•  

JanePlain

I can't remember if I commented on this but since starting HRT I've had problems tolerating the cold.  It seems that as soon as the sun goes down I start shivering like crazy and have to add another layer and find an afghan (or something) to wrap up in. Adding another layer helps https://oureverydaylife.com/how-to-wear-pantyhose-or-tights-for-warmth-12580713.html
  •