Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

TV shows I highly recommend

Started by Veracious Valerie, September 04, 2018, 03:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veracious Valerie

These are in no particular order. I love all of these for their own reasons. All these shows I can re watch many times.

I.T. Crowd (sitcom comedy)
Red Dwarf (sitcom science fiction)
Younger (romantic comedy drama)
Battlestar Galactica (science fiction)
Mr.Bean (family comedy)
  •  

MaryT

I also especially like Red Dwarf and Mr Bean, although I watched the latter so much during my father's dementia (he could enjoy visual comedy even close to the end) that I haven't watched it for several years.

Father Ted is another I watch as a sort of comfort food.

I'm also very fond of Charmed and the children's show The Worst Witch (the original and the remake although I haven't seen the original for many years).
  •  

MaryT

I think that Bewitched should also probably be on my list but even repeats haven't appeared on British freeview TV for many years.
  •  

GingerVicki

Red Dwarf - When the cat meows it's time to drink up!!

Battlestar Galactica - Awesome show and definitely one of my favorites.

•  

DQ Becky

well they are all good shows, but old as the hills. How about "The Expanse". That is the best syfy series U have seen for yrs
  •  

veronicashannon88

Doctor Who
Battlestar Galactica
The Adventures of Pete & Pete
Daria
King of the Hill (Bobby Hill is just life!)
Tales From The Crypt
  •  

HappyMoni

Faulty Towers is a favorite  (John Cleese - comedy) , Taxi, Barney Miller

Best scifi/horror series is The Haunting of Hill House

Was a Lost fan

Still watch Survivor
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

MaryT

I also enjoy Fawlty Towers (partly because it reminds me of a holiday in Torquay in 1961).  Basil's abuse of Manuel probably heightened tensions between Britain and Spain, though.

Since childhood, I have been a big fan of Steptoe and Son, although the treatment of the father by the son is sometimes horrifying by today's standards.

Blackadder is another favourite comedy although I found the vaunted "deeply moving" final episode rather twee.

Series 1 to 6 of 'Allo 'Allo! are wonderful and a relief from excessive political correctness.  Series 7 to 9, after David Croft left the writing partnership with Jeremy LLoyd, are of more variable quality.

Watching the Last of the Summer Wine, first broadcast in early January of 1972 and ending in August 2010 after 31 series (but sometimes long gaps between them), is a good way of getting used to growing old.  The best episodes were those with Bill Owen as Compo Simmonite but he died in 1999.  My favourite episodes have retired headmaster Seymour Utterthwaite as the "gang" leader but most prefer "trained killer" Foggy Dewhurst.  Norman Clegg, played by Peter Sallis, was in every episode.  The show is usually regarded as having elderly main characters but as the length of the series suggests, the dangerously idle heroes started as redundant middle aged men, not elderly retirees.  If you don't find it funny enough, you can enjoy the quaintness and scenery of the Yorkshire village of Holmfirth, where the series was set and where Owen and Sallis lie together in the graveyard of St John's Church.

•