Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Laser followed by electrolysis touch-up? Home laser options? Halp.

Started by Vervain, September 05, 2018, 02:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vervain

Heya all. It's been awhile since I last logged in here, but I have a question that I think the folks in this community are perhaps the best qualified to answer. I'm genderqueer but AFAB, and I have PCOS that causes dark hair growth on my face, tummy, and butt. This is really dysphoric and when I can afford it I want to get rid of it.

My housemate who is a trans lady has gotten electrolysis, and the description she's had sounds rather painful and time-intensive. I have light skin and dark hair, so I'm the perfect candidate for laser. I know it doesn't always remove all the hair, but it sounds like it would be less painful and reduce the hair by a lot. Could I then schedule electrolysis appts to have the remaining hairs removed? I really am not thrilled about the idea of each follicle being basically electrified, and if I can minimize it this way, that would be great. I just haven't heard anybody talk about that so I don't know if there's anything that would prevent that.

Also, I understand there are home laser options now. I've heard of the Tria and the Silk... something. I haven't found much talking about them, though. How have people's experiences been with those? Are they effective? Or is it a case where they aren't strong enough and I'd end up needing professional work anyway? They're expensive enough that I don't want to toss money away, but I also know both laser and electrolysis are expensive and add up since you need several sessions. What has people's experience been with cost effectiveness with the actual effectiveness of the treatment taken into account?

Thanks all. I appreciate anything y'all have to share. :)
  •  

Dani

Vervain,

I am a late transitioner and most of the hair on me is now gray with some black hair mixed in.

I did have a few laser treatments before starting electrolysis. Laser is effective for dark hairs, but you really need medical strength laser for lasting results. Some people have limited results with home "laser" treatments, most of which are really IPL or Intense Pulsed Light. Even with medical strength laser treatments, results are not always permanent.

For a permanent result, I needed really strong hormone therapy and electrolysis. Many people have reported that about 200 hours are needed to permanently clear an adult male face. I have about 150 hours now and I am just beginning to see some thinning in the facial hair. It just takes a lot of zapping to permanently remove hair.

Home "laser" treatments are limited at best and many users say that it will not touch thick hair regardless of color.

On the plus side, hormone therapy has removed most of my hair below the neck. I have much less hair on my arms, chest and legs since starting on hormone therapy.
  •