Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Does Sexual preference affect your decision to Transition?

Started by heather3791, September 09, 2018, 10:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heather3791

I know that gender identity and sexual preference are two separate things. In my case I am AMAB but I indentify (for the most part) as female. I have not started transitioning (other than piercing my ears and electrolysis). When it comes to sexual fantasies and the act of sex itself I want to be a woman with a man. I want to feel feminine and look feminine. I want to be submissive for a man and be desired by him. In my current body I have absolutely no desire to have man on man sex. But if I have my wig, makeup, perfume, nails painted and female clothes on I am ready and willing to engage in sex with a man. (And no I don't believe this is just some fetish). Yes I have some gender dysphoria with my body during the workday (when I present as male) but it's not super intense. My dysphoria seems to be more with sex than anything else. I simply hate being male when it comes to sex. I dislike my male physic and not having womanly curves. I just want to be a girl physically and want to be with a straight manly man. With all this being said for me personally my decision to continue forward with transitioning is deeply influenced by my desire to be with the opposite sex as a woman. So essentially it would seem that my gender identity is affected in some capacity by sexual preference. Does this make sense and does anyone else experience this?
  •  

christinej78

Hi Heather,               09 September 2018

It all boils down to whatever you want that makes you happy ... as long as you don't harm another human being. Do what you want and don't worry about what others think; it's really none of their business.

To answer your question, NO. I've wanted to be a female since I was a young boy. Sex had nothing to do with my desire to transition.

Enjoy your life, it's the only one you will ever have here on "Space Ship Earth."

Best Always, Love
Chris
Veteran - US Navy                                       Arborist, rigger, climber, sawyer
Trans Woman 13 Apr 18                               LEO (Cop)
Living as female - 7 years                             Pilot
Start HRT san's AA's 27 March 2018              Mechanic
Borchiday completed Friday 13 Apr 2018        Engineer Multi Discipline
IT Management Consultant                            Programmer
Friend                                                          Bum, Bumett
Semi Retired                                                Still Enjoy Being a Kid, Refuse to Grow UP
Former Writer / Editor                                   Carpenter / Plumber / Electrician
Ex-Biker, Ex-Harley Driver                             Friend of a Coyote
Ex-Smoker 50 years and heading for 100
  •  

Sarah1979

For me, my sexual preference is largely secondary to the dysphoria I have about my body and to a lesser extent, in social situations.  I do find men attractive, but I also find women attractive.  The main thing I DON'T find attractive is my body.  Like you, I want to be female in sexual situations, but as I've never been with anyone, male or female, this is still somewhat hypothetical.
  •  

Megan.

Only speaking for myself, but my sexual identity had nothing to do with my need to transition. Transition resolved the Gender Dysphoria I was suffering from.

As part of that journey my understanding of my own sexuality has deepened and is now much broader than it was, not because it's materially changed, but I'm now confident and secure in expressing it. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Michelle_P

I've gotten variations on this question in some classes I've done.

My sexual orientation had no effect on my need to transition, my medical transition, or my seeking gender confirmation surgery.

"Did I want GCS so I can have sex with a man?"
"No, but I am really looking forward to having my girlfriend do me with a strap-on."  The answer is terrifying to a clueless straight guy as it points out how unnecessary he is!

I wanted GCS because I wanted to have a clitoris and vagina.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

KathyLauren

I don't see any connection between the two in my case.  I never had strong dysphoria about sex.  Yes, I had some about my male body, and a lot about the male social role, but not so much about sex.  In recent years, sex became less of an issue, and I now consider myself mostly asexual, with lesbian leanings.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Sarah1979

Truth be told, I had mostly assumed I would be alone the rest of my life anyway.
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Sarah1979 on September 09, 2018, 11:05:24 AM
For me, my sexual preference is largely secondary to the dysphoria I have about my body and to a lesser extent, in social situations.  I do find men attractive, but I also find women attractive.  The main thing I DON'T find attractive is my body.  Like you, I want to be female in sexual situations, but as I've never been with anyone, male or female, this is still somewhat hypothetical.

I want someone who is nice and spoons well. I may be asking for a lot.
  •  

Sarah1979

Quote from: gingerViktorKay on September 09, 2018, 05:52:26 PM
I want someone who is nice and spoons well. I may be asking for a lot.

As a transsexual woman, I had thought finding someone willing to not beat me to death was asking a lot.
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Sarah1979 on September 09, 2018, 06:08:49 PM
As a transsexual woman, I had thought finding someone willing to not beat me to death was asking a lot.

I consider that a huge plus in a partner.  Given the responses I collected from dating services in my experiment last year, yes, this is apparently asking a lot.

The only folks who have any idea what my life has been like have been other trans persons.  I have yet to encounter a cisperson with any sort of understanding of what this has been like.  Oh, my cis friends are accepting, but sometimes some pretty odd ideas surface.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Complete

Heather,
I transitioned a very long time ago, (I had my srs over 45 years ago with a colovaginoplasty upgrade in '84), so please forgive me if l have difficulty understanding how you posed your question. In short, l had the brain(?), thought patterns(?) Of a heterosexual female from my earliest memories.  I planned to grow up, marry a seriously handsome and loving man, and live happily ever after.
My fantasies generally involved serious and vigorous sex with a man. Many here might think of that as old fashioned, but it has worked for me since the early, '70's and through 3 marriages and innumerable boyfriends.
Yes. I wanted the body of a woman. That is what l needed and that is what l have had now for almost 5 decades. Not quite,  but almost.
What surprised me was that prior to my transition,  during my late teens, l was sexually active exclusively with females. The thought of sex with a man, as a man, with a mans body and equipment was abhorrent to me. No matter how l was dressed or "presenting" it was physically nauseating.
During the actual process of physically changing sex, the hormones,  the surgery,  etc., l was essentially asexual.  The recovery was very difficult and painful. Sex was the furthest thing from my mind.  However, as things stopped hurting and actually began feeling normal my natural inclination was towards men. When l realized that l was actually attractive to men and desirous, l found that  they were more than happy to keep me well dilated.
Sex has always been very special for me. I have always sought to keep it that way. Even in my advancing old age,  (I blew through 70 a couple years back), it still remains one of my favorite things to do. 😈😉😉😊😊😊😊
  •  

heather3791

Quote from: Complete on September 09, 2018, 09:53:13 PM
Heather,
I transitioned a very long time ago, (I had my srs over 45 years ago with a colovaginoplasty upgrade in '84), so please forgive me if l have difficulty understanding how you posed your question. In short, l had the brain(?), thought patterns(?) Of a heterosexual female from my earliest memories.  I planned to grow up, marry a seriously handsome and loving man, and live happily ever after.
My fantasies generally involved serious and vigorous sex with a man. Many here might think of that as old fashioned, but it has worked for me since the early, '70's and through 3 marriages and innumerable boyfriends.
Yes. I wanted the body of a woman. That is what l needed and that is what l have had now for almost 5 decades. Not quite,  but almost.
What surprised me was that prior to my transition,  during my late teens, l was sexually active exclusively with females. The thought of sex with a man, as a man, with a mans body and equipment was abhorrent to me. No matter how l was dressed or "presenting" it was physically nauseating.
During the actual process of physically changing sex, the hormones,  the surgery,  etc., l was essentially asexual.  The recovery was very difficult and painful. Sex was the furthest thing from my mind.  However, as things stopped hurting and actually began feeling normal my natural inclination was towards men. When l realized that l was actually attractive to men and desirous, l found that  they were more than happy to keep me well dilated.
Sex has always been very special for me. I have always sought to keep it that way. Even in my advancing old age,  (I blew through 70 a couple years back), it still remains one of my favorite things to do. 😈😉😉😊😊😊😊

Thanks for your response Complete. I can identify with so much of what you've experienced. I can only hope that the second half of my life turns out as good as yours. Your early transition and all the crap you had to go though back in the 80's is truly inspiring and I have total respect and admiration for you. Thanks again! Heather
  •  

Tara P

I haven't decided to transition (yet?) but I do feel more comfortable with sex as a woman.  Even just reading romance stories I always imagine myself as the woman if there's a man and woman.  I'm not very sexual in general though so I think it's more an extension of my dysphoria around my masculine body characteristics and expectations rather than something specifically related to sex.  I'm also bi/pansexual so it doesn't change who I'm attracted to but it feels a lot more comfortable to be a woman or seen as a woman.

So it's not the main thing causing me distress but it is a small part of it.
  •  

Ryuichi13

I don't think my sexual preference has much to do with my decision to transition  however, I have always, and still do, prefer to think of myself during sex as dominant.  Even though I've only been actively transitioning to male for less than two years, during sex, I have always seen myself with a penis.  I may eventually decide to have one surgically created, but even with this AFAB body, my mind during sex is male.

However, my choice in partners concludes that I'm gay, and apparently always have been, since I have always prefered men.

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•  

Chloe

Quote from: heather3791 on September 09, 2018, 10:08:47 AMMy dysphoria seems to be more with sex than anything else.

Heather I'll go with, second what Complete said. It was the persistent, amorous attentions of men, albiet "gay" at the time, that played a decisive role in my desire to transition.
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Complete

Thank you, Heather.  I appreciate your kind words. Actually, except for the pain and discomfort associated with my recovery from srs, my transition was relatively drama free. For some reason people seem to think that things were really difficult in the 70's. I found it to be pretty simple and straight forward.  One year after srs, l was living a regular life as a young woman.
  •  

Lisa_K

I actually wrote a super long TL:DR post in response to this question but decided nobody would read it or care so let me more succinctly try to add this.

I was never accepted into the world of boys and never looked or acted the part because that is simply not what I was in spite of the obvious contradictory anatomy. I entered kindergarten in 1960 and was immediately singled out creating major issues in my life until I graduated high school.

People had always been uncertain if I was a boy or a girl as long as I can remember and I grew up femme leaning androgynous looking but had the temperament, personality, manner and interests like any other girl which really seemed to bother and confuse a lot of these people. By 1967 or junior high/middle school (7th and 8th grade), the entire world including my parents and all the doctors I had been taken to from the time I was 10 pegged me as gay because of course at the time, that's  how gender atypicality was categorized because no one knew any better.

At 15, while out of school a month recovering from a violent homophobic attack that darn near ended me, I came to an understanding with my parents there was no way in holy hell I was ever going to grow up to be a man and somehow they just got it. Even as ridiculous and unheard of such a thing was, they said they had always known my true nature and who I was. We knew nothing about trans anything and had no directions or guidelines to follow but I ever increasingly moved out of androgyny as sort of just a natural progression and by the time I was 16, outside of my freakish life as a non-human it in school, it was rare that people didn't think I was a girl. I only got more "girl" after that. After years of talking to clueless doctors, I was officially diagnosed with "primary transsexualism" and started HRT the summer before my senior year at 17 in 1972,  which it seems was very rare for someone so young that long ago? Trans youth weren't even a recognized phenomenon nor had the concept of gender dysphoria come into usage yet and there were a lot of concerns about my age but nothing else made any sense. One of my psych evals even used some old Benjamin terminology when it was noted I was "completely psychosexually inverted". Whew! I'm glad at least the language is better these days even if things have gone a bit far in the PC direction.

Immediately upon graduation, even though I had been passing as a girl for several years, getting new IDs and stuff can be looked at as the end of my social transition but in reality, I had never been anything different to transition from so it was all a big non-issue. In other words, it was all kind of a moot. I had just grown up to be a girl with some sort of before transition and after transition point indiscernible because it all just organically manifested along the way somehow all by itself as the way things were just supposed to be. That sounds stupid, doesn't it but "being" a girl socially wasn't a big deal to me because that's what I'd always known myself to be and how I just came across to people. On the other hand, not being female and able use my body sexually as such nearly sucked the last bit of life out of my soul.

I lived the five years I had been on hormones and the four years since I had officially gone full time after getting out of high school in this sexual state of limbo. I had perfectly integrated, blended seamlessly into he world as a young woman and was completely accepted as female and was well beyond any sort of transition so when I did have SRS in 1977 at 22, you can bet that changing sex was all about being able to have sex at that point but it otherwise didn't have any effect on my daily life beyond the six weeks I took off work. Who I was going to have sex with was really irrelevant and it wasn't really until after surgery that I truly began to even discover what my preferences were. At now 63½, I still don't know what they are but it's been fun, interesting and sometimes hella exciting figuring them out. I've had my share of boyfriends and was reasonably promiscuous in my 20's and I was married to a wonderful man for 12 years but over the course of my lifetime, I've also had a couple of LTRs with other women as well. Go figure?

So no, sexual preference did not affect my "decision" to transition which was never a decision in the first place. It's just how I turned out. My sexual preferences did not did not lead me to surgery either but rather the ability to have sex as a female regardless of who I was with surely did.

Finally backing up what Complete said, people seem to think it was impossibly difficult to be trans, transition and be treated in the 1970's and the popular lore seems to be filled with nothing but horror stories from this era but if I got started on HRT as a 17 year old in 1972 while still in high school and had referrals and recommendations for surgery as soon as I turned 18, at least for me anyway, it wasn't as bad as people seem to think but I was pretty obviously "afflicted" and they didn't know what else to do with me but to proceed with what was considered at the time to be a grand experiment because of my age. Lack of funds was the only thing that made me wait until I was 22 for surgery, not gatekeeping. Yes, the way I was treated and some of the things that happened to me during my school years in a backward, redneck Arizona city are probably about as bad as you can imagine but after I graduated, with passing privilege I just easily got on with life with what we would now refer to as stealth as a regular girl and other than the sex and surgery thing, being trans was not and has not been a part of my life other than in minor ways.
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

I must admit Lisa I just got a lot out of that post. A friend of mine who lived as a girl in the 1980s as a teenager had a broadly similar story. In her words she never went through a transition she just was naturally feminine from the start and just expressed her innate self. Hormones and surgery simply corrected the minor detail.

Also pardon my ignorance but things have gone from the Harry Benjamin terminology to the PC direction. I am familiar with Harry but not PC?

Also I am in suspense over the resolution of " I have a friend I want to tell."

I do like reading your posts.

Kind regards, Kirsten

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Complete

While my experience was much different than Lisa's, in that outwardly at least, l had a very believable male presentation, my transition was not hindered in anyway by the so called "gate keepers". At the time of my srs, (early 70's), it was considered by my doctors as a "last ditch attempt" at saving my life. They were well aware that every other possible known avenue of treatment had be tried. We were all, the doctors and myself, at wits end. We all figured I had nothing left to lose.
  •