Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Exercise with a Weak Ankle and Swiming is not a Option

Started by amrisa loftus, September 09, 2018, 12:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amrisa loftus

I almost broke my right ankle when I was 12 and couldn't see a doctor about due to not being on parents' insurance. Also was raised just above poor. So it never healed properly. I'm running (sorry couldn't do it without the pun) in a situation now that every time I try to put my full weight on it, the ankle will buckle. The only swimming place can go to is very transphobic.

I need to loose weight if I ever want to get any transition related surgeries done. I'm sitting at ruffly 230lbs or 104kg with height of 5 feet 8 inches or 1.73 meters.
  •  

Dena

There are a few other options. Walking or bicycling are low impact however if you  go to a gym you may find a stationary bicycle or a treadmill where you can use your hands for support an option.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Tara P

Yeah biking or walking are the best cardio things I know of other than swimming.

You could also try some body weight strength training stuff.  There are a lot of exercises you can do laying on the floor, on all fours, etc that won't put weight on your ankle.  They won't burn as many calories as a cardio workout but it will improve your fitness and can even make you slimmer and more toned since muscle takes up a lot less space than fat.

Diet is super important for losing weight too.  Just burning off the calories from one candy bar requires walking or running 2-3 miles, so you can literally undo all of your calorie burning with one extra snack.

Good luck!  I hope you find something that works for your situation.
  •  

GingerVicki

Both of these include counts so that you can follow along and the best part is that you don't have to leave your living room. These routines should not impact your ankle much if any.

I love Fitness Blender on YouTube.
Legs and hips are important to us all and here is a good video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=657&v=RZgIv9tVvLE

Here is one for abs.
https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/24-minute-ab-blasting-interval-workout-at-home-abs-workout
  •  

Dani

Any low impact exercise will be good for you.

However, to avoid complications later in life, I highly recommend getting an exam and consult with an orthopedic surgeon before you do anything else.

I broke my hip in an accident when I was 35. By the time I was 60, I was limping with every step I took. I eventually had to have a hip replacement and now all is fine within expected limits. Some surgeons can do amazing things with a titanium implant.  ;)
  •