Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Question about stopping T

Started by SeptagonScars, September 11, 2018, 10:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeptagonScars

The question I have is, would it be alright if I'd stop taking my T abruptly and without my endo knowing?
But also if not, then what should I reasonably do?

And here's the relevant info and my options with my situation on that:

I'm afab and have been on T as part of an FtM transition, for the past 5 years. But now since realising I want to detransition because I now see myself as a woman (regretting transition), I've been chasing my endo all summer in many desperate attempts to try to get in contact with her about me wanting to stop taking T, preferably before I'm meant to take my next shot. But it's not been going very well. Cause of vacation times or I don't even know what, she's been been perpetually unreachable since July...

I'm on Nebido which is a very very slow-releasing intramuscular testosterone, so I'm on a schedule of taking it once every 14th week (or 3 and a half month), and I had my last shot in mid June. That means I'm meant to take my next shot by end of September, which is suddenly coming up rather soon. My wish is to not have to take that shot, or take it in a lower dose to slowly wean off it. My endo did just now send me a note that she has booked an appointment for me... on October 22nd... which is 4 weeks overdue. Clearly she has not gotten my messages.

So here's the crux of it: unless I can somehow get in contact with my endo within the next 2 weeks, I have to decide whether to take that next shot (in full dose) or not at all, before I actually can talk to her about it.

My fears are that if I'll take that next shot simply because I've been unable to inform my endo about my decision, I'll be stuck with T levels in the male range for much longer than I'll already have to deal with. Which I'd really rather not.

However, because the kind of T that I take is so very slowly released over such a long time, I'm thinking it might not be unreasonable to think that quitting it cold turkey might not be harmful? Or would that be too much of a gamble, with that I've not even been able to tell my endo about it? I've also not been able to find any info about this online in general. Any advice?
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

Dena

I think at this point all you can do it continue to try and contact your endo. Offer a telephone number and be as flexible as possible on the time when you can be contacted. For this a cellphone might be best but a land line would work if your around it enough hours out of the day.

I think there shouldn't be a medical need to go cold turkey however it's possible that you might be somewhat uncomfortable while your original hormone cycle starts up. I know of another case where something like this happened and when her periods returned, she was getting two periods a month with heavy bleeding. An endo might be required to regulate your body so it returns to a normal cycle.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Tiu

If you don't take the shot, will there be no testo left? Or only less testo? I suppose it won't be gone overnight, right? In that case, you won't be quitting it cold turkey no matter what. (And if that was too much, you can still take another reduced shot after you have met or talked to your endocrynologist, hopefully before the date though. A few weeks seem manageable.)

It's safer to take the dose, though. Three months are a lot. But at the same time three months are only three months.

How would you stop hrt if you were to have a surgery?
  •  

SeptagonScars

Thanks for your replies! I did finally manage to reach my endo and apparently she had gotten my messages and the aapointment she booked is for checking up with me after I've quit taking my testosterone. So, I've gotten the green light to skip my next shot! :D Oh what a relief.

Quote from: Dena on September 11, 2018, 10:58:42 PM
I think there shouldn't be a medical need to go cold turkey however it's possible that you might be somewhat uncomfortable while your original hormone cycle starts up. I know of another case where something like this happened and when her periods returned, she was getting two periods a month with heavy bleeding. An endo might be required to regulate your body so it returns to a normal cycle.

I remember that before I started taking T my periods were always very heavy, long-lasting (9-12 days) and irregular. So, either which way I'm prepared for that that might happen as I go off T now, and I've already stocked up on pads and tampons just to make sure I can at least practically handle that. I've also considered going on birth control that can reduce the bleedings. I went to a gyno about that but they said to ask my endo first. Admittedly, periods is the one thing I don't miss about being off T, but I'm okay with it as long as it's practically manageable. I'm also expecting mood swings to get more intense as my hormones shift. But thank you for the warning nonetheless. It's always good to be aware and prepared.

Quote from: Tiu on September 12, 2018, 01:22:45 PM
If you don't take the shot, will there be no testo left? Or only less testo? I suppose it won't be gone overnight, right? In that case, you won't be quitting it cold turkey no matter what. (And if that was too much, you can still take another reduced shot after you have met or talked to your endocrynologist, hopefully before the date though. A few weeks seem manageable.)

It's safer to take the dose, though. Three months are a lot. But at the same time three months are only three months.

How would you stop hrt if you were to have a surgery?

I'm not sure exactly how this type of testo I'm taking works in regards to stopping it. I'll be sure to ask my endo about it at the appointment. I'll ask her what I can be expecting, timeframes, etc. But it is my guess that the testo most likely will stay in my system at rather high levels for quite a long time even after having stopped taking more, and that my levels will continue to decrease over time but very slowly. That it could even take several more months before my body has resumed it's natural levels. But I could be wrong about that, which I keep in mind. I'll keep my senses keen for what changes I may or may not be experiencing, especially during those 4 weeks.

For surgery there's no need to stop hrt here. I didn't need to go off T for my top surgery. I had been on it for some 7-8 months back then. I was healthy and had good blood values, and that was enough requirement for my surgeon and the hospital. I don't know if they're fine with letting patients stay on hrt for surgery in all cases or if it depends on the type of hrt though. But that seems to differ a bit from country to country. As far as I know Nebido is not commonly used in the US, but is quite common in several European countries.
Mar. 2014 - top surgery

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

Tiu

Hey, great to hear! :)

Thanks for your reply. I also thought it would stay in your blood for a while.

I've heard the name quite a lot here in Europe I think. So, you're probably right about that.

Good luck without your shot! I hope it works well for you. And enjoy. :)

PS: Did you write about you hrt experience somewhere? Would be interesting to know how you first responded, whether you loved it, its changes, how you felt; in contrast to now.
  •  

SeptagonScars

Quote from: Tiu on September 15, 2018, 04:50:12 AM
Hey, great to hear! :)

Thanks for your reply. I also thought it would stay in your blood for a while.

I've heard the name quite a lot here in Europe I think. So, you're probably right about that.

Good luck without your shot! I hope it works well for you. And enjoy. :)

PS: Did you write about you hrt experience somewhere? Would be interesting to know how you first responded, whether you loved it, its changes, how you felt; in contrast to now.

I'm gonna get my levels and values and all that stuff tested around October 8th, so I'll know how much the testosterone has dropped by then, and see how my natural estrogen is doing.

Yeah Nebido is very popular for hrt here in Sweden and I know it's used a lot in Germany as well. Actually it's not that great though, many complain about it causing mood swings etc, but it's the only form of injectible T available in Sweden now. So the only other alternative is gel form, which isn't ideal for everyone either.

Thank you! I also hope it will work well without my shot, but I think it will. It feels freeing to just be off T even though nothing's happened yet, so I'm enjoying it already :)

I might have written about it somewhere at some point, I don't really remember. I'll give you a somewhat summarised version of my experience with hrt ;)

When I joined here on Susan's I had already been on hrt for 5-ish years and didn't have much to say about that then. Now going off it I just passed the 6 years mark. So I got all the changes I could presumably get, cause I didn't get much more changes since around 2 years ago, except I would likely be getting more chest hair if I would have stayed on hrt. But yeah with that said, I'm expecting most of the changes I now have and want reversed will be permanent, or require more invasive poking to reverse, than just going off hrt. But it's a good start for me. Then when I've been off it for a while I can start looking into what more I might need to do to reverse things. But it's my sorta plan to first just see what only stopping hrt can do.

When I first started hrt that was 8 years ago and I did love it back then. Going on T felt like a relief as much as going off it feels like a relief now. My first response to it was joy, relief and excitement. I did like most changes I got from it, everything except from the acne and other actual side-effects that I don't think anyone really likes. I especially loved my voice deepening and my body in general getting more hairy. And that I got slightly less curvy. Also I really liked the psychological changes that I (presumably) got from it, like that I could think more clearly and got more distant from my emotions, and that I didn't cry as easily anymore.

For the most part it was great but around 6-7 months ago I first started noticing something like doubt-like feelings popping up and I was confused about it. First it was just I discovered being on T had caused v*ginal atrophy and medicating it with local estrogen made me feel strangely and unexpectedly mentally better in addition to that it treated the atrophy symptoms. Then a few weeks before I discovered I'm apparently not trans, my dysphoria started playing tricks on me. Like on some days I felt randomly dysphoric about having a beard but on other days I loved it, or randomly completely fine with having wide hips but then being dysphoric about them again the next moment.

So that was weird, and eventually it did flip 180 on me when I had realised my situation. It still feels super weird for me that I'm now dysphoric about what I used to love about my body, and love what I used to be dysphoric about. Takes some adjustment... But I'm not super dysphoric now about everything that hrt gave me. I still actually like my deep voice and it doesn't seem to bother me that it sounds male, and I'm really not bothered by my bottom growth situation either.

Since I'm still noticably curvy, not at all muscular (out of pure laziness) and my facial features didn't change much, the only changes from hrt that really bother me now is the existence of either too much or too little hair on my body. By "too little" I mean my slightly receeding hairline and that my head hair got significantly thinned out in general, however I'm luckily not balding. Just got very high temples that my sadly thin bangs can't quite cover. Also I really miss being able to cry and connect to my emotions like I could pre-hrt. But my biggest source of body discomfort now is my flat chest.

Yeah okay that did not become a summary, but at least I tried to keep it short xD
Mar. 2014 - top surgery

•  

Tiu

Hmmm... Weird. And a little concerning ... I hope that doesn't happen to me and my hrt. :D

It's good to see you're relatively okay for what's happened. You seem quite rleaxed. I'd probably be really nervous and confused in that situation.

What do you make of that whole thing?
  •  

SeptagonScars

Quote from: Tiu on September 16, 2018, 12:21:03 PM
Hmmm... Weird. And a little concerning ... I hope that doesn't happen to me and my hrt. :D

It's good to see you're relatively okay for what's happened. You seem quite rleaxed. I'd probably be really nervous and confused in that situation.

What do you make of that whole thing?

Hmm yeah, it is concerning, I'd say. But considering the circumstances I think I'm handling it rather well now. I mean, I should have dealt with my issues before pursuing hrt and transitioning, but here I am with my hindsight, so... gotta do what I can with that!

I think it's very unlikely to happen to you :) I'm probably that one in a million of extra unlucky people! Well at least it wouldn't surprise me, it's not the first time I get extra unlucky with something in life.

Well I'm sort of relaxed about it now, at least in the sense that I've come to accept it, knowing it's what it is and the only good thing I can do about it from here on is to move on and try to not beat myself up for it. That, or I'm just having a few better days right now. When I first realised this, I was def panicking and grieving a lot. But it's been almost 3 months since then now and in that time I've started to feel a bit better :) I'm still very confused though, and a mess too, but I'm holding myself barely above the surface with self-care, humour, therapy and supportive friends.

As far as I know, I never had actual gender dysphoria when I began taking hrt, but my body discomfort was very similar to that, and I mistook it for gender dysphoria. I still call it simply "dysphoria" in the sense that it was the opposite to "euphoria" though. And me thinking of myself as a man was an escape mechanism from my traumatic past. Like I just didn't want to be a woman cause of all the hurt. So I transitioned for all the wrong reasons, without knowing it. So I think I responded positively to hrt cause it kinda fueled that escapism, while I ignored my underlying feelings that it was not right for me to transition and I wasn't being true to myself. But that then those feelings eventually caught up with me when I started practicing more self-care and more honest soul-searching (as in not deflecting what I found out about myself).

So basically, I think I hid my truth from myself for a very long time, but then when I finally dared to accept and listen to myself, my own truth revealed itself to me. And then I saw that I'm really a woman and really do want to look female as well. And like the male persona I was living as couldn't hold up anymore so it shattered. So then I also found from like really deep in my mind that transitioning did cause actual gender dysphoria in me but I had just suppressed it really a lot. I think I just really couldn't accept that I had caused myself literally what I thought I was alleviating.

Like I know now that I did get dysphoric right after having top surgery (4 years ago) and I was panicking bad about it, but instead of dealing with it then, I just pushed those feelings away and tried to kinda force myself to be okay with my post-op body. I had been binding and hating my chest for 5 years before I had surgery, I felt very certain it was what I needed. So I think then finding out the hard way that it had made me feel worse about my chest instead, was something I just couldn't accept at all. And I think it took longer for me to notice that same thing with my hrt changes cause they happened more slowly and over a longer time, while the surgery was very instant.

But yeah it's kinda complicated but basically it's my best theory that I was happy about it as far as I was aware, cause it was (to me) a great escape mechanism, but underneath that I had very suppressed feelings of not being happy about it. And that when those underlying feelings eventually popped up, they took over. Also I've had a lot of dissociation going on since forever, which probably also made it easier for me to ignore my own truth and thrive in that persona, for as long as it lasted. There's more to it as well, but that's the gist of it and I could def keep going about this porever :P
Mar. 2014 - top surgery

•  

Allison S

I wonder about whether transitioning is right for me still at 1 year on hrt. I feel self concious and a lot of pressure to look passable. It's still early on, but sometimes it feels like it's not worth it if I don't pass.
So my fear sometimes it's regretting it too.
I didn't go to therapy for gender dysphoria so that's kind of another concern too..

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

Virginia

Quote from: Allison S on September 22, 2018, 08:44:41 PM
I wonder about whether transitioning is right for me still at 1 year on hrt. I feel self concious and a lot of pressure to look passable. It's still early on, but sometimes it feels like it's not worth it if I don't pass.
So my fear sometimes it's regretting it too.
I didn't go to therapy for gender dysphoria so that's kind of another concern too..

Living as a person's Authentic Self is a wonderful goal. Sadly there are often obstacles that make this impossible. When I started therapy back in 2009 my GT explained there are three different human needs that drive Gender Dysphoria; social acceptance, acceptance of how we look and acceptance of who we are. Therapy is vital for helping a person to explorer these needs so they can determine how to meet them.

In my case, social acceptance was vital for my female alter. My GT explained her encouraging me to transition was "because" I was so androgynous. That she would suggested other options if I had difficulty being perceived by others as a woman out of concern than transition would worsen my needs rather than fill them.

~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Allison S

Quote from: Virginia on September 23, 2018, 11:58:36 AM
Living as a person's Authentic Self is a wonderful goal. Sadly there are often obstacles that make this impossible. When I started therapy back in 2009 my GT explained there are three different human needs that drive Gender Dysphoria; social acceptance, acceptance of how we look and acceptance of who we are. Therapy is vital for helping a person to explorer these needs so they can determine how to meet them.

In my case, social acceptance was vital for my female alter. My GT explained her encouraging me to transition was "because" I was so androgynous. That she would suggested other options if I had difficulty being perceived by others as a woman out of concern than transition would worsen my needs rather than fill them.
Yeah I definitely want to find a gender therapist to talk to them about how my family (well, my sister and mom) tell me that I'll always be "male"... I understand biologically I'm "male" as far as anatomy at birth I guess... It's just depressing to me still.
So not only am I unsure/uncertain I'll ever pass, but I'm also fearful I'll be stuck in this self defeating mentality.
Sometimes I'm very tempted to do things impusively that may hurt me. That's when I know I need help and I've asked for it recently when I was taken to the hospital...

•  

Virginia

Quote from: Allison S on September 23, 2018, 01:05:04 PM
Sometimes I'm very tempted to do things impusively that may hurt me. That's when I know I need help and I've asked for it recently when I was taken to the hospital...

I'm proud of you, AllisonS, for recognizing when you know you need help.

Self abuse plays a very complex role in my life. My female alter is bulimic. She watches every potato ship she puts in her mouth and makes herself vomit when she feels she has done something wrong. It is a common coping mechanism young girls who experienced trauma as children use in an attempt to bring a sense of control over their own lives. I teeter the balance between self harm and pushing myself beyond my mental and physical limits as a way to trigger dissociation when I have to endure something that is overpowering to me. It took a long time for my trauma therapist to see this was not about self abuse but a useful technique that helps me go beyond my limits to do great things I would otherwise not have it in me to do.
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Allison S

Quote from: Virginia on September 23, 2018, 05:00:58 PM
I'm proud of you, AllisonS, for recognizing when you know you need help.

Self abuse plays a very complex role in my life. My female alter is bulimic. She watches every potato ship she puts in her mouth and makes herself vomit when she feels she has done something wrong. It is a common coping mechanism young girls who experienced trauma as children use in an attempt to bring a sense of control over their own lives. I teeter the balance between self harm and pushing myself beyond my mental and physical limits as a way to trigger dissociation when I have to endure something that is overpowering to me. It took a long time for my trauma therapist to see this was not about self abuse but a useful technique that helps me go beyond my limits to do great things I would otherwise not have it in me to do.

Thanks, I'm looking to go to counseling soon.
My sister was actually watching a show about women at rehab for eating disorders... It's twisted how much we can really harm ourselves. I actually mentioned to my sister that these women are very smart... I believe that's why they're very troubled too. My sister didn't understand what I meant because one ended up dying from her eating disorder... I don't think I'm smart myself, but I had many times I seriously restricted my calorie intake for many weeks and months at a time.

I'm 5'8" and I restricted so much I weighed 137 at one point. To give you a bit of background, I always weighed around 170ish in high school. My lowest was 137 lbs at 22 years old... Since then I gained weight and I've never dropped below 150ish again since then. I know how unhealthy it was and it made my dysphoria worse losing so much weight/any feminine fat deposits I had. I just remember looking in the mirror and seeing a very malnourished male looking back at me.

I don't think I had a full blown eating disorder but it was a big part of how I controlled my life through food/not eating/maintaining the lowest weight possible. In a way it was kind of exciting at the time...

•  

Virginia

I was shocked when at one of my first sessions with my Psychologist she asked if I was bulimic (5'10" 146 pounds). I fasted one day a week for spiritual reasons for 25+ years, saw myself as athletic and health conscious, rather than having some sort of eating disorder. As we began to peal back the layers in therapy I was able to see the truth of how the psychological abuse I experienced as a child related to the tightfisted control I maintained on my weight.
  •  

SoupSarah

@septagonscars

I do not know if this is any help, but I stopped Nebido 18 months ago. I have also been on sustanon and testogel.
Nebido injections for me were every 13 weeks, and I fully expected my T level to be very low or zero at the end of the last 13 week period as I used to feel pretty bad towards then, however blood tests showed that the T levels took about a month to get down below "male range". I then went on testogel - Im in the UK.
Nebido is really a horrid T - The initial high dosage, and cumulative effect of it caused my body to aromatise the T into estrogen after about 4 years on the stuff. At times on Nebido my E values were well within female range, usually 3-4 weeks after the injection!
Beware the darkness of dragons, Beware the stalker of dreams, Beware the talons of power and fire, Beware one who is not what she seems.
  •  

Allison S

Quote from: Virginia on September 24, 2018, 02:17:39 PM
I was shocked when at one of my first sessions with my Psychologist she asked if I was bulimic (5'10" 146 pounds). I fasted one day a week for spiritual reasons for 25+ years, saw myself as athletic and health conscious, rather than having some sort of eating disorder. As we began to peal back the layers in therapy I was able to see the truth of how the psychological abuse I experienced as a child related to the tightfisted control I maintained on my weight.

It really is about "control". The more the better and honestly at the time it's happening, it's like being blinded. The person living with an eating disorder doesn't see the condition for how damagining it is... It's seen as just a way of life.
I think your psychologist is very good to point that out for you so early on. Good on her for doing her job and I hope it helped you in some way. I know I still struggle with food because for some reason I related it so closely to my self image/confidence. Which is so unhealthy.

•  

SeptagonScars

Quote from: SoupSarah on September 24, 2018, 05:59:10 PM
@septagonscars

I do not know if this is any help, but I stopped Nebido 18 months ago. I have also been on sustanon and testogel.
Nebido injections for me were every 13 weeks, and I fully expected my T level to be very low or zero at the end of the last 13 week period as I used to feel pretty bad towards then, however blood tests showed that the T levels took about a month to get down below "male range". I then went on testogel - Im in the UK.
Nebido is really a horrid T - The initial high dosage, and cumulative effect of it caused my body to aromatise the T into estrogen after about 4 years on the stuff. At times on Nebido my E values were well within female range, usually 3-4 weeks after the injection!

Thanks for chiming in. That is helpful for me, at least some. I suspected it will take at least a month for my T levels to drop below male range, and I'd guess even several months for them to get back into female range. Which is why I also plan to ask my endo about T-blockers. I saw someone else post something about that elsewhere on this forum, so I got inspired to ask my endo what she may think about that.

I know that many who take Nebido feel bad on it cause of it giving very high T levels right after injection and then they drop quite low. I never knew what my highest levels of T were, my endo always insisted on only checking them when they'd be the lowest: right before a shot. However I don't think I ever had any issues with that. I used to feel slightly more energetic the first 2-3 weeks after a shot but otherwise I just felt normal. I was on Nebido for 5 years.

Also I don't think I've had too high E levels, actually I think they were a bit too low, even right after shots. Cause I got a lot of hot flashes (3-5 times per day for many years) which is one symptom of low estrogen in menopause cis women, I learned from my mother. And in many ways it has felt like I got a medically induced pseudo-menopause with being on T.

But then since I started taking a local estrogen medication for my vaginal atrophy caused by the T (also a symptom of low E), I've felt lots better physically, not just in that area, and also mentally better. My hot flashes stopped, I can regulate my body temperature better, my mood got more even, etc. So my own non-expert conclusion of that is my T might have suppressed my E levels a bit too much, and the "local" E I'm now taking does seep out to the rest of my body enough for me to notice a difference. My endo never checked my E levels though, not even when I've requested it in the past.

I did self-medicate with testogel before I got Nebido prescribed, and I did have too high E levels when on the gel, they were still pretty much in normal female range. I also noticed cause I had a lot of mood swings and my periods came and went frequently when I was on the gel, at what was considered a recommended dosage. I'm not saying what the dose was, just saying I tried to use it as well as I could and it was not a tiny dose. My endo then concluded, after I had told her about my self-medicating in all honesty (this was 5 years ago, I've not been fiffling with hrt on my own since then) that testogel was "too weak" for my body. And in Sweden, the only options for T hrt are testogel and nebido, so I switched to nebido. And yeah, for the most part it went well.
Mar. 2014 - top surgery

•  

SeptagonScars

Thought I'd make an update about how it's been going for me since having stopped taking T. Just in case anyone's interested. And cause I just randomly feel like sharing!

So it's been a little over 7 weeks now since I was "supposed" to take my next shot by end of September. The actual last shot I took in mid June. So I count it as me now being "7 weeks off T". I met my endo for an appointment by the end of October and had gotten my levels checked on the 9th October. By that time my testosterone levels were still within the male range, and my estrogen was within the female range but in the lower end of it, as far as I've understood. So my ovaries started producing estrogen again quite quickly, but the T takes longer to go down. I've not gotten my levels checked again since then, but I let my endo call the shots on that, unless I start experiencing any issues, which I have not yet. How long I'm gonna keep in contact with her and getting my levels checked, neither of us know, but we came to the conclusion that it simply depends on my body.

My endo also prescribed me T-blockers, on my gentle request. She seemed highly skeptical about what sort of effects that kind of medicine could have on me, but was willing to let me try it. So that feels experimental. I've taken it for a few weeks now and it seems to actually be speeding up reversals, which pleases me. The only side effect I've noticed from it is it makes me a little tired.

The first change I noticed was very vague but I felt slightly more connected to my emotions, like my brain started feeling familiar in a way I did not expect. I was first unsure if that was really because of my hormones changing or just wishful thinking, but as time went on, it has become much more so in the same direction and the difference feels very distinct now. So I think it's the hormones. With this change I feel like I can actually trust my own feelings again, that they're really genuine, and like I understand them much better. So this is a very positive change!

I'm finally able to cry again, and much more frequently, once a week or so now, compared to a few times per year when I was on T. It helps me greatly to release my inner turmoil (especially all that chest grief) and feel better afterwards. I've greatly missed having this ability.

Then my body odour started changing, at around 3-4 weeks off T. It was a very instant change, from my usual super musky, kinda pungent smell to a "barely anything" and much milder smell. I noticed it from one shower to the next and the change was very drastic, and has been consistent ever since. I also sweat less, but I've always had issues with excess sweating even pre-T so I don't expect any miracles on this point.

On the TMI point my sex drive has gotten a bit lower which I expected but what I did not expect was my orgasms are way stronger and much easier to achieve now. A little too easy, if I may be allowed to complain about such a thing!

As for the more visual changes I noticed around a week ago that my skin has gotten softer and my leg hair has thinned out quite a lot, and my stomach hair has thinned out a little. Chest hair, facial hair and other areas of fluff appear to grow in the same amount and rate as before. I know that around 1 millimetre per 3 days is my beard's usual growth rate. And my head hair's growth rate too, apparently.

That's all so far, I think. No periods yet, not even spotting. But I'll give that some more time before I'll start worrying about it. I think it can just be that it takes a bit longer for that cycle to kick in again, and it might take at least another month, for all I know. I'm not looking forward to it much, but I hate not knowing when it'll hit me. My fat distribution is still the same as it was on T. I was already curvy on T though so it's not a big concern for me. I'm just casually hoping for my waist to get a little narrower and flatter again, but other than that I mostly just shrug about it. As for the TMI department, I keep thinking my clit does look smaller, but my measuring tape informed me it's the same size as ever. It could be that the skin texture in that general area has changed/softened (cause my regular skin got softer, I mean) and giving the illusion of it being smaller, but I'm unsure. It could just be me imagining things too, I guess. I don't mind its size either way though.

Some sidenotes: I feel a lot less anxious about having various kinds of hairs on my body, so I don't often shave much these days. That makes it easier to see when there's a change in amount and/or growth rate. I don't mind being hairy but I'd still prefer to be less hairy. I've come to realise I actually like having facial hair even as a woman, despite it reducing my chances of passing by... really a lot. I'm not too bothered by passing, in most situations. But mostly I just like how it looks and how it feels on my face. I still proudly think of myself as a woman, but I've just additionally embraced looking different as well. But with that said I don't really want for my beard to grow in slower or get thinned out, but I also accept that eventually that will happen cause I can't choose which changes to get reversed/lessened and which ones to keep as is. But I don't think my beard would reverse entirely. There's really a lot of it and it's said to be permanent so hopefully much of it will stay, and I know for sure now that I don't want to get it removed like with laser or anything permanent. And it feels good to have come to that decision so clearly and kinda passionately already. Thought it would take me forever to figure out!

I've gotten to the point where I'm mostly comfortable with my changes from T, but I still don't at all wish to go back on it. I especially really like the psychological changes since going off it, the crying and the change in my smell. So I feel good about being off T but I no longer feel bad about having been on it. Simply put, I've made total peace with it, but I don't need it anymore.

So, I don't really have any expectations at all about how much or what might reverse or to what degree. I simply observe and feel good about the changes so far. It's fun to analyse it, but I don't even check things every day. It's more like I randomly notice stuff and then get excited about it. So it's still positive for me to have gone off T. I don't think I rushed that decision, even though I did that quite quickly in my detransition.
Mar. 2014 - top surgery

•