Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Electrolysis newbie

Started by Jessica, September 14, 2018, 08:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

Hi girls, any tips for a virgin electrolysis patient?  It was scheduled quickly and I pray my lidocaine prescription is filled in time.
Starting on the most sensitive spot, the upper lip!

Hugs and smiles from a California girl

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jessica on September 14, 2018, 08:43:16 PM
Hi girls, any tips for a virgin electrolysis patient?  It was scheduled quickly and I pray my lidocaine prescription is filled in time.

Lots of sleep. Lots and lots of water. Avoid caffeine. Take 4 ibuprofen 45 minutes before you start. Put the numbing cream on and rub it in good an hour before the session, and cover it with Saran Wrap. Don't let air at it. And then wonder why you chose the most sensitive place to start!

I've found that the blend (galvanic+thermolysis) hurts a lot less than pure thermolysis, but it takes a lot longer. It is quite effective though. My chin is pretty much bald now. My former electrocutioner cleared my upper lip with thermolysis, and I'm getting a lot of regrowth. YMMV.

Good luck, hon. Each zap gets you closer to where you want to be.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Jessica

My prescription is ready for pick up already.  I asked my GP for it. 
When he replied with the script, he was apologizing for telling me that I was not covered for hair removal, after I told him I knew I was.  That's one of the reasons I am requesting a new doctor, another is he misgenders me differently, moment to moment, and has never called me Jessica, even though his nurse does.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Michelle_P

In addition to what Steph mentiions, if your prescription doesn't come through in time, 4% lidocaine cream is availaable at CVS pharmacies on the aisle with the sunburn ointments and pain relief wraps.  Try to get one with just the lidocaine.  The menthol or eucalyptus junk does electrolysis no good!

You can contact me if needed.  Two years left me with quite the stash...
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Jessica

@Steph2.0 @Michelle_P

Quote from: Steph2.0 on September 14, 2018, 08:57:08 PM
Lots of sleep. Lots and lots of water. Avoid caffeine. Take 4 ibuprofen 45 minutes before you start. Put the numbing cream on and rub it in good an hour before the session, and cover it with Saran Wrap. Don't let air at it. And then wonder why you chose the most sensitive place to start!

I've found that the blend (galvanic+thermolysis) hurts a lot less than pure thermolysis, but it takes a lot longer. It is quite effective though. My chin is pretty much bald now. My former electrocutioner cleared my upper lip with thermolysis, and I'm getting a lot of regrowth. YMMV.

Good luck, hon. Each zap gets you closer to where you want to be.

Stephanie

Thank you Stephanie, great tips, hadn't thought about the sleep aspect. 
Is that 800mg ibuprofen?
I started with the upper lip because it causes me the most trouble when shaving.
Get er done!

Quote from: Michelle_P on September 14, 2018, 09:16:58 PM
In addition to what Steph mentiions, if your prescription doesn't come through in time, 4% lidocaine cream is availaable at CVS pharmacies on the aisle with the sunburn ointments and pain relief wraps.  Try to get one with just the lidocaine.  The menthol or eucalyptus junk does electrolysis no good!

You can contact me if needed.  Two years left me with quite the stash...

Thank you Michelle, I appreciate it, my doctor got off his butt and is helping me "Thrive" this time.

•  

JudiBlueEyes

Good luck Jess!  It a long ride but worth it.  I would have the electrologist move around a bit as focusing only on your upper (or lower) lip may be too much at first.  I used over the counter cream at first but after six months I stopped as it didn't make a huge difference.  No caffeine and a couple ibuprofen are a good recommendation.  And stay well hydrated. 

If you are consistent in your appointments it does get easier as the new growth is thinner and finer hair.  It will take a couple zaps to completely deaden each follicle.  Transitioning isn't for sissy's.  It's tough work. So hang in there!

But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jessica on September 14, 2018, 09:13:22 PM
My prescription is ready for pick up already.  I asked my GP for it. 
When he replied with the script, he was apologizing for telling me that I was not covered for hair removal, after I told him I knew I was.  That's one of the reasons I am requesting a new doctor, another is he misgenders me differently, moment to moment, and has never called me Jessica, even though his nurse does.

If you do get a new GP, you may want to ask him to prescribe BLT cream. It has to be mixed up at a compounding pharmacy, and consists of Benzocaine, Lidocaine, and Tetrocaine. Supposed to be better than any of them individually. A container a little larger than a film canister costs me $58 and lasts about 4 months the way I'm using it.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

VeronicaLynn

Make sure you are properly hydrated.

You may not be able to handle a long time on your upper lip. I'm not, because of that, it's pretty much all that's left for me. Have a second or third area you want worked on, since you will likely have to pay for the full appointment even if you can't make it through.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jessica on September 14, 2018, 09:23:49 PMThank you Stephanie, great tips, hadn't thought about the sleep aspect. 
Is that 800mg ibuprofen?
I started with the upper lip because it causes me the most trouble when shaving.

Not sure about the ibuprofen. Four of whatever the OTC dose is.

I admit I had them attack the upper lip and goatee area first for the same reason, and specifically because it hurts the most. I figured everything else would have to be easier.

Stephanie

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Jessica on September 14, 2018, 08:43:16 PM

Hi Jessica,
                   Bad outcomes for electrolysis can be permanent pockmarks or pits. Also a potentially permanent marks called rust stains.

I would imagine your operator has a good reputation. After each session there is some trauma involving swelling and an effect that looks like numerous small mosuito bites. A day or 2 sees the trauma gone mostly.

Some people like me have coarse beard hair and the removal of the hairs and roots can cause a mini bleed that is below the skin surface. These rust stains can cause spots like freckles that are like a mini tattoo. Even though I had stubborn whiskers the operator was careful to prevent rust stains(successful).

I also kept an eye out for scabs that healed badly causing acne style pockmarks - you may have heard of this from second rate operators. This was also closely watched by the operator.

Once you've had a couple of sessions and  bounced back from the trauma(mild). You will find it a breeze. The operator will probably recommend a soothing balm and regular exfoliation, use sunscreen and normal moisturizing routine.

Watching the stubble dissspear brings much satisfaction.

Wishing you a very smooth and hair free future! ,
             Kirsten [emoji3377]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: JudiBlueEyes on September 14, 2018, 09:41:47 PM
Good luck Jess!  It a long ride but worth it. I would have the electrologist move around a bit as focusing only on your upper (or lower) lip may be too much at first.  I used over the counter cream at first but after six months I stopped as it didn't make a huge difference.  No caffeine and a couple ibuprofen are a good recommendation.  And stay well hydrated. 

If you are consistent in your appointments it does get easier as the new growth is thinner and finer hair.  It will take a couple zaps to completely deaden each follicle.  Transitioning isn't for sissy's.  It's tough work. So hang in there!

Good advice Judi!  I didn't know what to say when asked where I wanted to start.  When I said upper lip, I was told that is one of the more tender areas, and that I only needed to grow that out a bit. I will give them my whole face to be able to get all my allotted time.
When you say no caffeine, the appointment is in the later afternoon, would a morning coffee be alright?

Quote from: Steph2.0 on September 14, 2018, 09:54:23 PM
If you do get a new GP, you may want to ask him to prescribe BLT cream. It has to be mixed up at a compounding pharmacy, and consists of Benzocaine, Lidocaine, and Tetrocaine. Supposed to be better than any of them individually. A container a little larger than a film canister costs me $58 and lasts about 4 months the way I'm using it.

Stephanie

Stephanie, I'm not sure of the composition of the cream.  I asked my doctor for numbing ointment for me to apply before electrolysis.  I hope it's the good stuff!

Quote from: VeronicaLynn on September 14, 2018, 10:05:06 PM
Make sure you are properly hydrated.

You may not be able to handle a long time on your upper lip. I'm not, because of that, it's pretty much all that's left for me. Have a second or third area you want worked on, since you will likely have to pay for the full appointment even if you can't make it through.

Thank you Veronica Lynn
It seems this is a common theme.  It is so good to get advice repeated.  It strengthens my resolve to do just that.

@JudiBlueEyes @Steph2.0 @VeronicaLynn 

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Kirsteneklund7 on September 14, 2018, 10:33:43 PM
Hi Jessica,
                   Bad outcomes for electrolysis can be permanent pockmarks or pits. Also a potentially permanent marks called rust stains.

I would imagine your operator has a good reputation. After each session there is some trauma involving swelling and an effect that looks like numerous small mosuito bites. A day or 2 sees the trauma gone mostly.

Some people like me have coarse beard hair and the removal of the hairs and roots can cause a mini bleed that is below the skin surface. These rust stains can cause spots like freckles that are like a mini tattoo. Even though I had stubborn whiskers the operator was careful to prevent rust stains(successful).

I also kept an eye out for scabs that healed badly causing acne style pockmarks - you may have heard of this from second rate operators. This was also closely watched by the operator.

Once you've had a couple of sessions and  bounced back from the trauma(mild). You will find it a breeze. The operator will probably recommend a soothing balm and regular exfoliation, use sunscreen and normal moisturizing routine.

Watching the stubble dissspear brings much satisfaction.

Wishing you a very smooth and hair free future! ,
             Kirsten [emoji3377]

Thank you so much Kirsten, I had heard talk of such things and I feel confident that my health provider has vetted them as a proper outsource. I will be careful for the rusty pitfalls in the process.
I'm apprehensively excited!

•  

Jessica

Quote from: Steph2.0 on September 14, 2018, 10:24:16 PM
Not sure about the ibuprofen. Four of whatever the OTC dose is.

I admit I had them attack the upper lip and goatee area first for the same reason, and specifically because it hurts the most. I figured everything else would have to be easier.

Stephanie

That was my initial thought, re-thinking that though.

•  

Julie -2010

One of the best feelings is when you have a full clearing session.  Face is smooth and it is great.  Especially after a couple of days when the little bumps settle down. 

Hydration is one of the keys that I find helps.  I had a ton of laser before I started the electrolysis and that knocked down a lot of my dark hair.  The electrolysis is getting the blond and a lot of gray. :(   You can tell you are getting closer when you can have a clearing in about an 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours.  When I first started they could only do some sections in that amount of time.

Cheers, Julie
"me to be my true and authentic self, my own person, one who belonged to the infinitely loving Creator, with all the inherent flaws that come with it."  - Jonathan S. Williams
  •  

Jessica

@Julie -2010

Quote from: Julie -2010 on September 14, 2018, 11:40:40 PM
One of the best feelings is when you have a full clearing session.  Face is smooth and it is great.  Especially after a couple of days when the little bumps settle down. 

Hydration is one of the keys that I find helps. I had a ton of laser before I started the electrolysis and that knocked down a lot of my dark hair.  The electrolysis is getting the blond and a lot of gray. :(   You can tell you are getting closer when you can have a clearing in about an 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours.  When I first started they could only do some sections in that amount of time.

Cheers, Julie

My hair is of the salt and pepper variety and I would have needed to start at least a decade ago for laser to work effectively.
I only started transitioning in earnest a little more than a year ago at age 61 and one of the first thing I heard was start hair removal now.  I was still unsure of a number of things at that time.
Wish I knew what I know now, then.

So much to know and absorb, but that's the case with anything new.

•  

Kirsteneklund7

My wife tells me I have a head like a baby's bum!
Bless her heart![emoji178]

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Jessica

Hydration has been mentioned a few times as a necessary tip.  How much beforehand?  More than typical?

•  

steph2.0

Quote from: Jessica on September 15, 2018, 09:25:24 AM
Hydration has been mentioned a few times as a necessary tip.  How much beforehand?  More than typical?

All I know is if I'm dehydrated my electrocutioner berates me and has to turn up the power, which hurts more. As I understand it, when they zap the follicle, the liquid surrounding it turns to lye and kills it. If it's too dry it doesn't work well. So too much water is a lot better than not enough.

Stephanie

•  

Michelle_P

A couple of other tips for during the electrolysis session...

While the electrolyst is working, focus on your breathing.  Take in a deep breath.  Hold it for 5 seconds.  Breathe out.  Repeat.  Let everything else go. Focus on the breathing.

If there is music available, in the office or on earbuds, listen to something soothing, something you might be able to drift off to sleep with at home.  Harsh or aggressive stuff can make the 'zaps' from electrolysis hurt more!

If you have training in mindful meditation, or guided meditation audio recordings, use it!  The idea is to let go, and avoid focusing on what the tech is doing.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

JudiBlueEyes

I would probably give the caffeine a few (at least 3) hours to get out of your system.   As you progress through treatments you'll figure out what your tolerance is and can make good decisions about it.  When working on my lip area there have been times I asked her to move as it was getting to be too much.  Mine has a particular way of starting the session on the cheeks (less pain) and working her way to the areas that need it the most.  Early on I told her I wanted to focus on the dark hairs as those are the ones that we see and that cause the most stress.  The white ones can wait until later.  We're well into them now.  A smooth face is a wonderful feeling. 

My electrologist is a talker and we talk the whole time although I am much more quite as I can't move too much.  After three years we've become good friends. 

I started at 61 too.  I've told my wife that I would have done this when I was much younger if I could have thought of a good excuse (since I wasn't out).  I have always hated to shave.  But better late than never!

But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •