Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Pre-Transition FTM stuck on traditionally female (executive assistant) job

Started by fishtank, September 18, 2018, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtank

So I'm still presenting female because, first, I work in a very traditional environment and town  surrounded by people who aren't accepting of LGBTQ+ in general but especially Trans, and second, because of depression throughout my life and a debilitating fear of job interviews, after i got my BComm I kind of got stuck into administrative assistant role that I'm actually making pretty good $$ in now, though I am so dissatisfied with this work, especially the perception that you're supposed to be somebody's mom,, arrgh.. I try to take on as many projects that would help me move out of this role as I can but it's difficult, it seems impossible to be seen as anything else.

I'm working towards getting my Master's so I can become a counselor at which point I will promptly begin transitioning but since I have to work full time to support myself that's going to take years and honestly I feel like I can't wait anymore.

Any other guys here work in a more traditionally feminine job?  What is your experience?

*No Profanity Please*
  •  

V M

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

fishtank

Oops, sorry for the cussing, I was really frustrated when I was writing that  haha. Thank you for the welcome
  •  

MeTony

Nope. Not me. I'm a security guard. I love the work, been in the same company for 20 years.
  •  

fishtank

Quote from: MeTony on September 18, 2018, 09:20:30 PM
Nope. Not me. I'm a security guard. I love the work, been in the same company for 20 years.
That's awesome, I thought if I lost our felt too uncomfortable in my current job I'd try security as a back up.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Honestly?  the advice I would give you is this. 

First off,
Quote from: fishtank on September 18, 2018, 08:45:13 PM
So I'm still presenting female because, first, I work in a very traditional environment and town  surrounded by people who aren't accepting of LGBTQ+ in general but especially Trans, and second, because of depression throughout my life and a debilitating fear of job interviews, after i got my BComm I kind of got stuck into administrative assistant role that I'm actually making pretty good $$ in now, though I am so dissatisfied with this work, especially the perception that you're supposed to be somebody's mom,, arrgh.. I try to take on as many projects that would help me move out of this role as I can but it's difficult, it seems impossible to be seen as anything else.

I'm working towards getting my Master's so I can become a counselor at which point I will promptly begin transitioning but since I have to work full time to support myself that's going to take years and honestly I feel like I can't wait anymore.

Any other guys here work in a more traditionally feminine job?  What is your experience?

Honestly?  The advice I would give you is this. 

First off, get your Masters!!!  Once you have that, you can do whatever you want, and more importantly, wherever you want!  Everything else will surely be easier once you have that.  You can move to wherever you want, work wherever you want, and do whatever you want once you have it.

Second, save your money!  You'll need it if you decide to move.

No, I can say that when I was able to work, I worked as a Paramedic.  Its a unisex job, as long as you have the training and the strength to lift and carry the needed equipment and patients, no one really cares what gender you are.

Good luck and stay strong bro, you can do this!  :)

Ryuichi

•  

Kylo

No reason you can't begin applying for other jobs whilst still being employed, try some feelers and see if you can get interviews, just keep it on the down-low.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

blackcat

I work in a female dominated field, but I'm lucky in that it's accepting of gay men, too.

Because I don't want to transition *at work* and deal with coming out to clients, however, I recently started T and am giving myself about six months to get my life together (wardrobe, paperwork, etc.). Then I'm pulling a Houdini, skipping town, and doing what I do now, but in a different location. There will be a temporary pay cut, but I can bounce back.

If you don't want to wait until your degree is finished to transition, can you stay within your field but plan a transfer to somewhere else? Do the same or similar work with a different company?

I make great money where I am at and my colleagues are lovely, so it pains me to leave. But ultimately, going through with transition, living a stealth-to-my-choosing life, and moving to an area where I would have more social support is better for my mental health in the long run. Waaaaaaaaaay better.

Good luck.
  •