Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Came out to my Union President

Started by barbara1962, September 23, 2018, 08:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbara1962

Hi. Barb here. I came out today to the President of our Local Union while we were working on our newsletter. she was absolutely cool with it and said that she had me figured for quite a while. When I asked why, she said that she saw the signs, but nothing specific. Of course she has an "out" gay son who is somewhat trans, so she is a bit familiar with the concept. And, she still wants me to go to our Legislative Conference in Washington in the Spring. I told her not to worry that I wouldn't embarrass her, that I could attend fully as a male. She said that doesn't matter- I could go any way I pleased. Wow! I think I will still go as a guy; some of the delegates from the rural areas or the South might not be so cool with it.
     The funny thing is that the guy across the street asked me yesterday if I was changing from a man into a woman. I said no, I was just experimenting with long hair (I was wearing my pony tail). I'm sure that he knew better. I was wearing woman's pants, top, and ankle booties at time although I wasn't wearing any makeup at the time. So, I am going to "fess up" and tell him. I am so sick and tired of hiding and pretending. Of course at my age I can afford to be open about this. And besides, I am becoming more obvious as time goes on. Each time I come out, even partially, it gets a little easier. My daughter is totally OK with my transitioning and said she knew for a long time about my gender issues.
     I get "ma'amed" more and more frequently in stores because of my somewhat androgynous presentation. I'm more of a Lands End girl than a Victoria's Secret girl, but that's more age appropriate for me. You had better believe that I am overjoyed when I am addressed as "ma'am". I tells me that I am starting to pass.
     The lessen from all this is that I had been entirely too shy and cautious in the past. I'm sure that the clerks in the women's department at J C Penney could tell who I was shopping for but they were friendly and accommodating just the same. I will continue to be more "out" in the future. I cannot hide forever! Maybe some of our sisters can learn from this as well.

•  

JudiBlueEyes

Very nice news Barbara!   It's good to have the support of those you work with, family, and neighbors.   I wouldn't be bashful about talking to your neighbor since he seems to have figured things out. 

Shopping in the correct section of the store is cool!
Judi
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: barbara1962 on September 23, 2018, 08:01:39 PM
     Hi. Barb here. I came out today to the President of our Local Union while we were working on our newsletter. she was absolutely cool with it and said that she had me figured for quite a while. When I asked why, she said that she saw the signs, but nothing specific. Of course she has an "out" gay son who is somewhat trans, so she is a bit familiar with the concept. And, she still wants me to go to our Legislative Conference in Washington in the Spring. I told her not to worry that I wouldn't embarrass her, that I could attend fully as a male. She said that doesn't matter- I could go any way I pleased. Wow! I think I will still go as a guy; some of the delegates from the rural areas or the South might not be so cool with it.
     The funny thing is that the guy across the street asked me yesterday if I was changing from a man into a woman. I said no, I was just experimenting with long hair (I was wearing my pony tail). I'm sure that he knew better. I was wearing woman's pants, top, and ankle booties at time although I wasn't wearing any makeup at the time. So, I am going to "fess up" and tell him. I am so sick and tired of hiding and pretending. Of course at my age I can afford to be open about this. And besides, I am becoming more obvious as time goes on. Each time I come out, even partially, it gets a little easier. My daughter is totally OK with my transitioning and said she knew for a long time about my gender issues.
     I get "ma'amed" more and more frequently in stores because of my somewhat androgynous presentation. I'm more of a Lands End girl than a Victoria's Secret girl, but that's more age appropriate for me. You had better believe that I am overjoyed when I am addressed as "ma'am". I tells me that I am starting to pass.
     The lessen from all this is that I had been entirely too shy and cautious in the past. I'm sure that the clerks in the women's department at J C Penney could tell who I was shopping for but they were friendly and accommodating just the same. I will continue to be more "out" in the future. I cannot hide forever! Maybe some of our sisters can learn from this as well.

Lands End has some nice feminine stuff. Not Victoria secret, but not LL Bean or Columbia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Paige

Congrats Barbara,  I'm so happy it's working out for you.  :)

I'm guessing by the 1962 that we're the same age.  Your post has given me some new hope.

Thank you,
Paige :)
  •  

Samij

I know this is a little older of a topic, but I'm sitting on the opposite side of this conversation and nervous about what it's going to mean. I'm a union president, and completely in the closet at the moment. I have had one appointment with the endocrinologist and I'm planning to start hrt in 2 weeks, but no one in my union knows and it is one of my biggest goals to keep the respect I've earned over the past decade. I'd love to hear how you have made out and I hope your union leadership has been supportive.
  •