Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

testosterone and balding

Started by PainKiller, October 03, 2018, 03:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PainKiller

Not sure if this is entirely true but I did hear that transgender men bald faster then cis men or younger than normal.
I actually plan on keeping my hair long and balding is common from my mom's side.
Grandfather is entirely bald and I even heard one of my mom's sisters is bald in the center.
Is there any way to prevent balding while taking testosterone?
  •  

invisiblemonsters

you can do the obvious things like finasteride and minoxidil but that's it. obviously they have side effects. as for the balding faster/younger, that's false. when you take testosterone, you can't pick and choose what you want from it. you gotta take all the good with all the bad.
  •  

Ryuichi13

I've already decided that "if I go bald, I'll deal with it then."  But for now I'm willing to take that risk in order to become the man I should have been born as.

Besides, maybe I can do a "combover" with my dreadlocks! ;)

Ryuichi

•  

Faith

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on October 03, 2018, 10:46:51 PM
I've already decided that "if I go bald, I'll deal with it then."  But for now I'm willing to take that risk in order to become the man I should have been born as.

Besides, maybe I can do a "combover" with my dreadlocks! ;)

Ryuichi

Your current profile picture shows serious hair cover .. I don't know about the ears though. Kind of distracting  :D
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Kylo

I have not heard this.

But what is the case is that going from female to male levels of testosterone instantaneously IS going to mean male pattern hair manifests much quicker in you than it does in a young man or one going through puberty. In my own case I got the M-shape pattern on my forehead within 6 months, meaning the female pattern areas of hair disappeared within that time. I don't have receding hair though. That will be down to a person's genes. There are no bald men in my family so I don't expect I will be either. But it depends on your own family. 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Kylo on October 05, 2018, 02:26:02 PM
I have not heard this.

But what is the case is that going from female to male levels of testosterone instantaneously IS going to mean male pattern hair manifests much quicker in you than it does in a young man or one going through puberty. In my own case I got the M-shape pattern on my forehead within 6 months, meaning the female pattern areas of hair disappeared within that time. I don't have receding hair though. That will be down to a person's genes. There are no bald men in my family so I don't expect I will be either. But it depends on your own family. 

Hmmmm...my hairline doesn't seem to be changing.  Hopefully that's a good sign!

Ryuichi

•  

Virginia

I'm confused by the concern over balding. It seems like MPB would be highly sought after by FTM's because of it being such a definitively male characteristic, like facial and body hair?
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Virginia on October 05, 2018, 05:11:50 PM
I'm confused by the concern over balding. It seems like MPB would be highly sought after by FTM's because of it being such a definitively male characteristic, like facial and body hair?
Not very many people actually want to be bald.  Having a head of hair is very nice.

I have the beard, musculature, hairy arms and whatnot, but I also want my dreadlocks! [emoji6]

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•  

invisiblemonsters

Quote from: Virginia on October 05, 2018, 05:11:50 PM

i don't think anyone wants to be bald, just like i don't think anyone who wants body hair wants a hairy back. it's a part of the male characteristics, but it isn't one that will make you more attractive or make your self esteem higher. being seen as a male without the negative effects like balding is what most trans men want. however, i think some trans men don't care in a sense that they rather be seen as male and balding then be seen as a female.
  •  

blackcat

•  

big kim

Plenty bald or balding guys look hot, Jason Statham, Happy & Tig from SOA are 3 of my favourites
  •  

dustydan

For me I noticed hair loss and receding hair line correlated with dosage of testosterone and at one point I was experiencing large amounts. I decreased T dosage and was able to find a balance of keeping facial and chest  hair (of which I had none without T) and stop the receding hair line and balding.
  •  

Virginia

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on October 05, 2018, 09:38:02 PM
Not very many people actually want to be bald.  Having a head of hair is very nice.

I have the beard, musculature, hairy arms and whatnot, but I also want my dreadlocks! [emoji6]

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thank you for clarifying. With as popular as it is for men to shave their heads these day, I didn't suspect this was the case.
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Virginia on October 06, 2018, 08:39:26 AM
Thank you for clarifying. With as popular as it is for men to shave their heads these day, I didn't suspect this was the case.

Its cool.  But you'll find that the men that are shaving their heads are often going bald, so they're just beating Nature to the punch.  ;)

Ryuichi

•  

cattywumpus

Oh man if there were any scientific way to prevent or cure balding you better believe cis dudes would be ALLLLL OVER IT by now. Myself, I'm planning to paint the top of my head gold.

But seriously, my mom started balding as she's gotten older and I know cis women with thin or thinning hair ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the summarized/bastardized words of a drag queen whose name I can't remember right now, "no one's ever found a man unattractive because he doesn't have hair, or a man attractive just because he does".
  •  

SeptagonScars

What I've heard, although it was a really long time ago, is that trans men are twice as likely to go bald (compared to cis men) because of having two x chromosomes and that the gene for that is on x chromosomes.

But I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, if any at all. I don't think age has anything to do with it, some cis men start losing their hair young too. I know of a youtuber who started losing his hair when he was just 15, my best friend's father started losing his when he was around 20-25. Other men don't start losing theirs until they're much older, while many also of course never lose their hair. And I think the same about that also goes for trans men. So like if you have in store for you to lose your hair at age 30 if you had been amab or on testosterone, and then you start taking T at age 28, then of course you'll start losing your hair at 2 years on T.

As others have said, meds like finasteride and minoxidil can help treat/mitigate baldness. Those can be taken simultaneously as testosterone. As for a much more expensive alternative, hair transplants can be done as long as there's still enough hair on your head to move some of it to the bald area.

When I got on T I eventually got the male hairline, a very distinct M-shape, but no MPB. Only one of my male relatives got bald, my father's father. However my hair got very thinned out and brittle at around 3 years on T (which was 3 years ago) and kept getting worse. So after I had lost about 3/4 of my hair and it looked really bad and broken off (unintentional mullet that I could see my scalp through, around shoulderblade length at longest) I decided to just shave it all off. Not an easy decision to make as a newly detransitioning woman, but then I also don't know if it's really harder for one gender or the other to come to terms with baldness. Perhaps it depends more on the person.

It was relatively easy for me though, and I felt way better afterwards. Like relieved of a burden, almost. And I think I still look good. I still cried a bit at the hair salon when it all came off though. That was an intense moment. But only 2 weeks ago and now I'm totally fine with my bald head, although I miss the hair sometimes when look at old pics of myself. I maintain it by shaving it about twice a week. Upkeep is so simple it's totally the best thing about it. And not having to bother styling my hair or being bothered by getting random hair strands in my mouth, eyes, food, makeup, tickling me, clogging my drain, sticking on clothes, etc. It has many pros.

I have some wigs I can use whenever I want to, but right now I'm just really liking the bald look. I'm saying this because I used to be super scared of ever becoming bald, and get literal nightmares about it happening to me. I loved my hair really a lot, and I've always especially loved having long hair. I never liked it short, also when I saw myself as a binary man in my transition. When I got it shaved off, I was in the process of trying to grow it out very long and had been patiently saving it for 4 years. It was hard to come to terms with that it looked horrible and kept getting worse and thinner no matter how well I took care of it. That there was no point in saving even an inch of it.

I might try to save it out again once I've been off T a bit longer, just in case it was that which effed up my hair quality. But if not and if my hair never gets any better, I may just have to bite the bullet on that. My male hairline is the least of my hair issues, I think. If I can be fine as a woman with a beard and bald head, then dealing with the hairline becomes kind of a minor issue. I mean, keeping it bald is surely one way of dealing with it.

I get that the fear of losing one's hair is a real thing that many feel, and I've had that fear too. But actually facing it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It's actually not bad at all and I was surprised at how much I like it. I can totally make it work with my style and it sparked my creativity a lot. It became a positive thing for me, and improved my self esteem.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •