Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My Electrolysis Journey

Started by Charlene2017, October 07, 2018, 09:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlene2017

Yesterday (October 6th, 2018...Saturday) was my first of many appointments to zap away those stupid facial hairs I have had for 30+ years.  I was so scared/nervous/anxious that I sat in the car for 5-10 minutes before actually going in.  Last year I did have a consultation but because of money situation at the time I couldn't start then.

This year our youngest no longer needs before/after school care so the money that was used for that is now available for me.  I talked with my wife and she was okay with it as long as it didn't affect any of our other bills.

One of the things I was super scared about was the fact I couldn't find the numbing cream so was going in about to feel everything.  I did take some advil before hand which I think did help.  So I sucked it up and headed in and was glad I did.  The tech was really nice and friendly and remembered me from last year.  She asked where I wanted to start and told her upper lip area.  She told me that if I get to uncomfortable with the pain, let her know. 

It did hurt but not as much as I thought.  Stuck out the whole hour as I have been in worse pain in my life and I would just keep thinking this is a lot easier than that. 

Afterwards and today, it isn't too bad.  I put witch hazel and this other cream we use for sunburns/skin problems my wife picked up from her work.  Awesome stuff. 

Sorry if this is a little long but I am so excited to be moving forward.  Can't wait for the day I don't need to shave anymore.
;
  •  

KathyLauren

Yay!  Congrats on starting electrolysis! 

I have a lot of respect for ladies like you who can do the upper lip with no numbing.  I can't do that.  When we got around to doing the upper lip (we didn't start there), I got my dentist to freeze the area before each appointment.  We are far enough along now that I don't need freezing.  But the numbing cream only last about 15 minutes after she wipes it off before she has to scrape me off the ceiling.

If you can handle the upper lip without numbing, everything else will be a piece of cake.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Charlene2017

I had my third session yesterday, again with no numbing cream as I am having a hard time finding it.  The tech did give me the location of a place some of her other clients have found it.  Hopefully I can get there before next weeks session.

My upper lip is looking pretty good so far.  After I shaved it doesn't have those dark hairs that you can still make out after shaving.  It is starting to feel pretty nice not having as much hair.  I know it is only the third one, but it does feel so good to see things disappearing, even if slower than I'd like.
;
  •  

LizK

Charlene I think you are very brave...I had to get dental blocks to have my upper lip done. I also used numbing cream...I am lucky in that Laser took care of most of my dark hairs so it was mainly grays I had to have removed. I am sure you know but keeping hydrated and away from caffeine on the day is really important....keeping the skin well moisturised...also important. I hope I am not telling you stuff you already know, and apologise if I am. There is a whole heap of stuff that is recommended.

Hope the next session goes even better.

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Charlene2017

I think I am more stupid than brave...or maybe it is that I really just want all this facial hair finally gone.

My 8th appointment has come and gone on the 24th so I figured I'd update on my findings so far for those that are interested in what it is like. 

I can't put into words the feelings I have about looking in the mirror and seeing the upper lip so "empty".  Before, even after shaving you (I...) could see the dark hairs under the skin or at the skins surface.  Now...nothing except the odd stubborn hairs that remains.  Even those appear to be the gray hairs which are hard to see but you can feel them.  I did have a couple of hairs that appeared to be ingrown but with very little effort...they came right out.  No pain or hold like the older hairs did.

The only downside is that I need to shave on Wednesdays as well as Saturdays now.  If I don't, you can see the growth on the rest of the face except a clean upper lip.  Looks like I shaved the mustache off and left the rest.  Same with a few bear (or is it bare...) patches under the lip as she has started there when clean-up of the upper is done.

Why the upper/lower lip area first?  They are the most hurtful parts to look at when I look in the mirror.  The cheeks and neck don't grow as fast or are as dark.  Plus she said they hurt the most so I wanted the most painful areas done and over with so that the rest is a cake walk.

One downside...I can't stop playing with my upper lip and feeling the lack of hair there, whether it is with my hands or bottom lip or the tongue even. 
;
  •  

Alice (nym)

This is a really useful thread... thank you. Please do keep us up to date with your progress. I am interested in how many sessions it is going to take to complete so that I can start budgeting for it next year.
Don't hate the hate... Start spreading the love.
  •  

Nina

It's been forever  since I had electrolysis, but I recall having spent about $7,000. I also seem to recall it was about $65 per one hour session. Can't remember, that was 10 years ago.
I tried laser, had no effect as I have blond hair.
I too tried the numbing cream a few times for the upper lip.
I think there are some who spend much more than I did, but stupid me...after maybe 15 sessions, I had stoped going for a month or so. You really need to keep up a regular schedule as one zap doesn't necessarily kill a hair. It can sometimes take further sessions to get an area clear. I was pretty lucky, I couldn't grow facial hair on my cheeks.
Aside from a trachea shave, the electrolysis was the best money I spent in those early years.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I started both laser treatments and electrolysis in Jan 2017. I had a fair amount of grey, so I knew laser would not take care of everything. I have had 12 laser sessions, and some dark hairs are still coming back. Session 13 is already scheduled.

It usually takes 200 - 400 hours of electrolysis to clear a full beard. I have passed the 200 hour point, and there is still work to be done. My electrologist can now usually clear my entire face and neck in a 1.5hr session, my first clearing took months. I can usually go about four days between shaving before stubble starts to appear.

If you are even thinking about GCS, I suggest starting 'south pole' electrolysis soon. Due to hair growth cycles it usually takes about 12 months to get that area hair-free, which is a requirement for many (not all) surgeons. You really don't want hair growing inside your new vagina!
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

JudiBlueEyes

Quote from: Nina on December 09, 2018, 04:40:16 AM
Aside from a trachea shave, the electrolysis was the best money I spent in those early years.

I agree with you @Nina!  I've spent <$10K and I was somewhat sparse.  You certainly do need to keep up with it to be effective.
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on December 09, 2018, 06:26:27 AM
It usually takes 200 - 400 hours of electrolysis to clear a full beard. I have passed the 200 hour point, and there is still work to be done. My electrologist can now usually clear my entire face and neck in a 1.5hr session, my first clearing took months. I can usually go about four days between shaving before stubble starts to appear.

If you are even thinking about GCS, I suggest starting 'south pole' electrolysis soon. Due to hair growth cycles it usually takes about 12 months to get that area hair-free, which is a requirement for many (not all) surgeons. You really don't want hair growing inside your new vagina!

Absolutely get started on the bottom clearing as soon as possible!  My own experience was that this was much less uncomfortable than I had been led to believe, much easier than work on the upper and lower lip.

I've had about 240 hours on the face and neck now, and am entering a 'maintenance' phase.  After 6 weeks of not doing any electrolysis or shaving, I went in for a session and was completely cleared in about 1 hour 40 minutes.  It's a great feeling to finally reach this point, totally worth the investment for me.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Nina

I cannot imagine having spent 240 hours on electrolysis.
I was complete after just over 100 hours.
Then again, I didn't shave for the first time til I was in my mind 20s.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Nina on December 09, 2018, 02:21:00 PM

I am at about 100 hours, and I am getting close to finished.  There are big patches of my face that are still baby's-butt-smooth after several days of no shaving.  I am thinking that 150 hours, tops, will do it.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Michelle_P

Ah!  I had 'help', in the form of testosterone injections when I was in my teens.  Dad said they were 'Vitamins, so you'll grow up right'.  They gave my face and neck a fair coating of hair, which I hated.  There wasn't any real effect on my almost hairless body.  I just kept faint hairs on the arm, and grew genital hair, but nothing else, really.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

JudiBlueEyes

Me too!  I'm at 160 hours, soon to be ending.  I also didn't shave until later. :)
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

CindyLouFromCO

If you want to try and speed things up you can go to Dr. Zukawski in Chicago, or Electrolysis 2000 or 3000 in Dallas.

Both places give you injections in the face to numb it.  Then two techs remove the hairs using Electrolysis.  They use the blend method.  They do a full clearing in one appointment.

I did four full clearings then finished up with my local Electrolysis.  She uses the thermo method.  Seemed to work better and not as painful as the blend method. 

You will look like you were just beaten up though for at least a week.  Cost depends on hours.  There is a minimum $500 doctor fee because the doctor gives you the injections and they also give you a IV of a sedative to put you in a twilite sleep.
I've taken what others have offered, so now I'm giving back.
  •  

Lisa89125

What does the process actually feel like?

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

The amount of discomfort varies widely. The location of the hair, your pain tolerance, and the power setting of the electrolysis device all come into play. In some places you may not feel it at all, while 1mm to the left and they may have to scrape you off the ceiling. Taking some ibuprofen ahead of time helps a bit.

I had an electrolysis session today, and I fell asleep while she was working on me! My first several sessions felt as though someone was stabbing my face with a hot needle over and over. My electrologist usually treats about 500 hairs an hour. I had tears running from both eves during all of my sessions the first several months. Eventually you get used to it, then they bump up the power setting!

Today wasn't too bad, since I got in a nice nap. For the most part it feels a lot like plucking a hair. After several treatments the hairs begin to come out much easier, so the pain slowly decreases. The pain for each hair only lasts a second or two, then it's on to the next.  This isn't something you do on a whim. It is uncomfortable, and it takes a long time. But if you have a goal and are willing to do whatever it takes to reach that goal, then it is a tolerable process.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Charlene2017

Yesterday was my 17th hour since October 6th.  I had to miss a total of 3 sessions since then, 2 because of Christmas and one a couple of weeks ago because of a snow storm we had.  Sure lets have a stupid storm on a Saturday when I am already off work.

She is still working on the upper lip.  Around Christmas time I was a little depressed/upset that it didn't really look like much has changed...that is until I skipped those 2 weeks there.  During my weekly shaving, I noticed that the hairs there were way less then the chin area and also smaller/softer.  Before yesterdays session you could only see the gray hairs and even then had to really look to see them.  I had to move my shaving time to twice a week because by the end of the week it looks like I just shave the mustache off and leave the rest.  I guess if anyone ask, I could say I like the look of no mustache just the rest can stay. Nobody seems to notice yet anyway...not that I would care.

I've been shaving my legs for as long as I can remember and when asked, I tell people that I don't like body hair.  Plus when mountain biking, which I do a lot of, it was easier when your legs get caked with mud...it doesn't hurt when that crap dries up.  No hair to pull.  Plus add to the hair lose on top of the head, I just tell people now the hair is falling out everywhere else.   ;)

Now about the pain and the time...pain isn't too bad.  I finally did get the numbing cream which allows her to up the voltage a bit (feels like a lot...).  So with the higher voltage, it feels like the lower voltage without cream...enough to make you so happy to hear the 1 hour timer go off.  The time just seems to be forever...but I just keep reminding myself that I've waited this long...another 1-2 is nothing.

Afterwards I seem to be pretty lucky.  I don't have any real signs that I had anything done.  The odd time I may end up with a pimple like thing...or something that can be thought of as a nick from shaving.  No real rash to speak of.  I always go home afterward, put conditioner on to shave and then use witch hazel on.  But then I have always had good strong skin that didn't rash or always healed really quickly.  Have to wait to see what the neck/cheeks will be like.

The best part so far...looking in the mirror and not seeing the shadow from the hairs you just shaved.  It is so cool to finally see what the whole face can eventually look like as the chin still is like Homer Simpson after he shaves.  If anyone has seen that on their show where he shaves...looks nice and smooth...then boom...5'clock shadow. 
;
  •  

Jessica

Charlene, I can't imagine not having numbing cream from the get go.  Now that your electrocutioner can up the voltage there is better chance of killing the follicles.
I hate the look I have if I have multiple sessions within a few days of each other.
Clear patches surrounded by stubble...
I do the same as Liz did by getting a shot of novocaine from the dentist in the same complex to do my upper lip.
You and I started pretty much at the same time (both hrt and electrolysis), though I am retired and am now around 40 hours in and have scheduled 60 more through April....oof, I'm a glutton for punishment with from 4-6 hours a week.

Hugs and smiles from a California girl

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

meganatl

I've just started last week myself and am a bit concerned as the redness seems to be lingering for quite some time.  I started with the beard area since it was fairly far down my neck.  Even about 10 days later I still have some redness from the initial electrolysis and did another session about 2.5 days ago that's also quite red and irritated.  I've been using a non-alcohol cleanser and aloe for the most part, not sure what else I can do to help the situation. 

The electrologist was using the cooling gel on the areas before I left and I ordered some to use in the future.  They are very experienced with MtF clients so I'm not worried about their skill.   They have said I have a very high pain tolerance, I do not use anything to numb the area at all and don't find it all that bad to be honest. 

I will certainly ask them on Tuesday when I go in for the next session but figured I'd ask here for some advice as well. 
  •