Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Shampoo/conditioner differences

Started by Lucca, October 16, 2018, 10:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucca

Do the different "types" of shampoo and conditioner, like for "smoothing" or "volume" or whatever,  actually make a difference in appearance or texture of hair? I've tried several different ones, and I think I've noticed a difference, but I'm not sure. I have used two different versions of the same brand consistently, and I think one makes my hair thicker and stay in place more, while the other makes it loose and stringy. But maybe it's just my imagination, or changes in humidity or something.
  •  

Carolina

Hi Lucca,

I'm not sure either.  I tend to use a "fine hair" product to increase "volume" , and I Think it helps -- although that may well be wishful thinking. 

Carolina
  •  

Donica

There is another interesting thread on the forum about hair care that may help.
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,225977.0.html
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Chloe

Lucca depends on what kind of hair you have - naturally oily or dry? I have very fine long hair that can be difficult to unknot after a shower recently switched to Pantine Moisture Renewal much better than usual "Aussie" brand . . . YMMV!  ;)

And, of course, condition but do not shampoo every day!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

ErinAscending

Quote from: Kiera on October 16, 2018, 03:05:10 PM
       Lucca depends on what kind of hair you have - naturally oily or dry? I have very fine long hair that can be difficult to unknot after a shower recently switched to Pantine Moisture Renewal much better than usual "Aussie" brand . . . YMMV!  ;)

And, of course, condition but do not shampoo every day!

This!  Oh and as a side note: If you can stand it, pre rinse your hair (either washed or not) with hot water, then condition and rinse the conditioner out with cold.  Hair kind of looks like it has scales when you really look close.  the hot water will open it up.  Then the cold will close the scales back down locking in the moisture.  If your hair looks frizzy this technique can help.  At least it helps with mine.  :)
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
  •  

Donica

Quote from: ErinAscending on October 16, 2018, 03:19:46 PM
This!  Oh and as a side note: If you can stand it, pre rinse your hair (either washed or not) with hot water, then condition and rinse the conditioner out with cold.  Hair kind of looks like it has scales when you really look close.  the hot water will open it up.  Then the cold will close the scales back down locking in the moisture.  If your hair looks frizzy this technique can help.  At least it helps with mine.  :)

That's good to know Erin. Buurrr, I hate cold showers though. What if I just turned the hot water down to lukewarm or room temperature?
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

ErinAscending

Couldn't hurt.   ;)   The idea is that if you let it dry when it's "Fluffed" it dries out the inside of the hair as well leading to frizzy-ness and breakage when brushed.

I hate that last part of my showers but...  I'm doing it anyway because I'm fast becoming obsessed with getting my hair back to where I want it be.   :D  Next thing you know I'll be taking a full hour to get dressed in the morning!  Can't wait!  LOL
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
  •  

Lucca

I always rinse my hair in cold water and never let hot water touch it, and I don't shampoo more than twice a week but I use conditioner every day. My hair is pretty dry, but that's just because I'm on Accutane right now.
  •  

Lucca

Update: I've experimented a lot, and depending on what conditioner is being used, it actually can change the texture or volume of hair by a lot , even after only one wash. However, it doesn't always do what is described on the bottle, so you kind of just have to try a bunch and see what happens. For example, a particular shampoo advertised as "volumizing" just makes my hair flat and light for some reason, while another one labeled "keratin therapy"(whatever that means) from the same brand gives me actual volume and heft.
  •  

Sabrina Rei

I dunno. Ones that protect/guard/defend/restore color treated hair are usually reliable for a making your color last longer or bringing back some of the color. I use Mane n' Tails for my shampoo and also conditioner. It's for horses , I think, but horses have lots of hair and it's always really shiny and nice so I think it works for every hair type. I haven't heard any neighs to the contrary.

DawnOday

Sulfates are the big difference in shampoo's. Those with no sulfates will not fade hair color. Sulfate free shampoos also improve the performance of Keratin conditioners.   ker·a·tin   /ˈkerədən/Submit   noun
a fibrous protein forming the main structural constituent of hair, feathers, hoofs, claws, horns, etc.

Sulfates are detergents and what cause large amounts of lather. This is mostly for convincing you it is working as experience say's Lather = clean.  Because I have grey hair I use Metrix Brass off Blue shampoo and Hello Blonde conditioner to improve shine. A couple drops of argon oil and ooh la la. I am contemplating using coconut oil or caster oil every so often for strength. Caster Oil will also help regrow hair.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Chloe

Quote from: elle's bells on December 20, 2018, 10:25:07 AMI use Mane n' Tails for my shampoo and also conditioner. It's for horses . . .

. . . and lol "pony tails"? ;D Will try it thx! Amazon has both for $16 free shipping lot less than Metrix Brass off which is primarily for colored, lightened hair?

Would love to wear my hair "down" but then again that would mean getting it styled, wearing makeup and thus no choice but present full-time? *sigh* Really like chatting it up with other men so find *girlish guy* to be much easier than a *mannish woman*!

C'est n'est pas?
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: DawnOday on December 20, 2018, 01:30:23 PM
Sulfates are the big difference in shampoo's. Those with no sulfates will not fade hair color.

OMG Just tried something different and it works great! Man-wife just dragged home 4 bottles of Wen *one step* Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner and hair is silky smooth and straight, no more wave or frizz, can't wait to see how day 2 goes!
QuoteIndulge your hair with this luxurious 5-in-1 hair care treatment that takes the place of your shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, detangler and leave-in conditioner. Infused with botanicals, this moisture-rich, non-lathering product is designed to cleanse hair, reduce frizz, add shine and help maintain hair-color coverage — without the use of harsh sulfates, like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

Says for all hair types but if you have long, fine extra dry then highly recommend trying it!
  •