News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Last Night A D.J. Saved My Life

Started by Johnni Gyrl, October 28, 2018, 06:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnni Gyrl

And so she did... me!

Near the whole town was out Halloween partying last night, while I was stuck at home due to domestic duties. The irony was I used to be a D.J. myself & constantly at the centre of the action ( you might say ) before family commitments took over. Determined to do my own partying at home as 'the next best thing' - I dug out my old disco box of cd's I'd compiled as sure dance floor winners.

"Top of the walk" has to be the 1970's disco funk that revolved in & around the genius of Nile Rodgers. Chic + Sister Sledge got a few spins, as did rival acts such as Shalamar, Rose Royce, Earth, Wind & Fire and then onto The Emotions, Chaka Khan, Bill Withers, Phyliss Nelson, The Commodores and the Average White Band.

While Abba did their 1970's thing amazingly well, these were the acts that shaped the sound of the first half of the decade  and beyond to me. Every D.J. in those days spun those tracks to the visuals of the combination spot lights and the stroboscope. A touch of dry ice and the scene was set. It made a big impression on my early teenage mind and when my chance to be a D.J. came along by accident around ten years ago, I did my best to encapsulate that whole time period for a certain part of my set, my personal disco themes being retro + rock.

The sheer ecstasy in the female voices of Sister Sledge on a track like 'Thinking About You' had me quite jealous of how much more fun girls were having, not to mention getting to wear the sparkly tops, high boots and hot pants. The African-American female singers had a whole look that to me was just underground cool, invented by them and one I'd always wanted to join in on.

Fast forward 35+ years and now I can! I had a few drinks to the sounds of the past and started dancing as keenly as Abba's 'Dancing Queen' - while dressed the part, from my make-up, hair and nails, down to my booty shorts, stockings and boots. 'Oh What A Night,' you could say, or put better by Shalamar, it was 'A Night To Remember!'

No wonder most women love to dance...

"The body releases endorphins during periods of physical activity, resulting in feelings of well-being and sometimes, euphoria. While nearly any kind of physical activity has the potential to release endorphins, dancing is particularly effective."

- Healthy Living

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/dancing-release-endorphins-5764.html

If you still don't believe me, have a listen to this killer remix and give it a try...

Shalamar - Night To Remember Remix:

Disco Funk 1982 L.PACHArquivoz

"Last night a DJ saved my life" - D.J. Johnni ;-) xoxo

•