Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Just had my first quote for FFS

Started by scrambledeggs, October 29, 2018, 04:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrambledeggs

So I just had my first quote for FFS. It went well but it's a lot more than I was hoping to spend.

I don't have a full list of the things we discussed but basically it involves scalp advancement, type 1 forehead contouring, rhinoplasty, fat injections, lip lift, chin contouring, masseter shave, and tracheal shave. All in all the price is about 40k.

I was hoping I wouldn't need that much work. To make matters worse I have about a Norwood type II hairline and I was told I'd need to spend another 8k for 2000 hair grafts. That brings the total cost up to almost 50k.

Now I'm not sure if I want to do this. I feel kind of vain for wanting it since I already pass if I wear a wig. I also don't have a prominent Adam's apple but the surgeon claimed that after the chin contouring it would be very noticeable.

I don't have any particular questions about FFS, I'm just frustrated. It would totally be worth it if I knew this would make me happy for the rest of my life but I'm already in my 30's and looks seem so fleeting. On the other hand I don't want to give up on my dreams, especially since I have the money do this if I want to.

I guess I'm just looking to chat about it and maybe vent a little and find out from others if FFS was worth it and if it made you truly happy.
  •  

Breeze 57

Well, this is just me, but I'm getting it done in 2 weeks and all said and done, it'll cost around $44,000.  That's everything including caregivers and hotel cost.  I'm 58 and I didn't give it a second thought.  I don't know if this will make me passable or not, in fact, I'm pretty skeptical it will, but it's worth the chance.  If I don't do it, I'll always wonder "What if?".  Also, I'm not wealthy and this is an incredible amount of money for me.

I don't want to look like a guy, and if this gives me a chance not to, I've got to take it.  Hope this helps.
  •  

TaylorLeigh

Hi!

If you're willing to go abroad, the cost difference for FFS procedures can be very different.
I had quotes from Dr. Z (Chicagoland), FacialTeam (Marbella, Spain), plus Dr. DiMaggio and Dr. Rossi (both in Buenos Aires, Argentina). I ended up going to Dr. Rossi, based on a history of good results for the procedures that I wanted. The cost was about 1/2 of Dr. Z - but certainly don't make a decision based on price alone. If going abroad, there is also the additional cost of travel, plus fewer legal options should something go wrong. Regarding hair transplants, I should add that I had about 2000 follicular units transplanted (while in Buenos Aires) for $4000 USD.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out some non-US alternatives.

- Taylor
  •  

Dorit

I had what I would call FFS-Lite about a month ago.  I am 71!    No bone work was involved, as it was debatable if I really needed it.   The surgeon said I have been healing remarkably well, confirms that age is not the biggest determinate in healing, health is.   I am very healthy.   While it does not look like a complete facial transformation, I look good and much younger than my age.  While I could often pass before, it seems that I have moved even more in the direction of always passing.  The surgeon said I could always do more later if I wanted. 

So I would encourage you to go for at least some level of FFS. you are certainly not too old!  :)
  •  

scrambledeggs

Quote from: Breeze 57 on October 29, 2018, 05:50:32 PM
Well, this is just me, but I'm getting it done in 2 weeks and all said and done, it'll cost around $44,000.  That's everything including caregivers and hotel cost.  I'm 58 and I didn't give it a second thought.  I don't know if this will make me passable or not, in fact, I'm pretty skeptical it will, but it's worth the chance.  If I don't do it, I'll always wonder "What if?".  Also, I'm not wealthy and this is an incredible amount of money for me.

I don't want to look like a guy, and if this gives me a chance not to, I've got to take it.  Hope this helps.

It does help! Everything just seems a little too real after finally meeting with the surgeon. I was expecting a minimal quote of around 25k since I can already pass. I know they always try to up-sell but the thought of spending so much on plastic surgery isn't something I'd ever considered before.

I do want to be pretty and happy, though. The thought of that is what keeps me motivated through what is otherwise becoming a very trying transition.
  •  

scrambledeggs

Quote from: Dorit on October 30, 2018, 01:04:57 AM
I had what I would call FFS-Lite about a month ago.  I am 71!    No bone work was involved, as it was debatable if I really needed it.   The surgeon said I have been healing remarkably well, confirms that age is not the biggest determinate in healing, health is.   I am very healthy.   While it does not look like a complete facial transformation, I look good and much younger than my age.  While I could often pass before, it seems that I have moved even more in the direction of always passing.  The surgeon said I could always do more later if I wanted. 

So I would encourage you to go for at least some level of FFS. you are certainly not too old!  :)

This is awesome! I'm sure you're beautiful! Congratulations on taking such a big step. I'm glad to hear you're healing well.

I discussed maybe doing the procedure in two steps and was advised against it. The surgeon was clear that he'd make more money if I did it in two steps but that I'd have to go through surgery and recovery twice. I think once will be enough for me.
  •  

scrambledeggs

Quote from: TaylorLeigh on October 29, 2018, 06:38:56 PM
Hi!

If you're willing to go abroad, the cost difference for FFS procedures can be very different.
I had quotes from Dr. Z (Chicagoland), FacialTeam (Marbella, Spain), plus Dr. DiMaggio and Dr. Rossi (both in Buenos Aires, Argentina). I ended up going to Dr. Rossi, based on a history of good results for the procedures that I wanted. The cost was about 1/2 of Dr. Z - but certainly don't make a decision based on price alone. If going abroad, there is also the additional cost of travel, plus fewer legal options should something go wrong. Regarding hair transplants, I should add that I had about 2000 follicular units transplanted (while in Buenos Aires) for $4000 USD.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out some non-US alternatives.

- Taylor

Thank you! The Argentinian quotes are definitely quite a bit cheaper but I don't think I could ever convince myself to go abroad for FFS. You're right about having little legal recourse not to mention the difficulty in getting revisions done. I'm sure all of those surgeons you mentioned are great but I think I want to stick a bit closer to home.
  •  

Dorit

Hi!

I think I have enough posts to add a photo.  This is me one month after FFS.  I had a rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty(upper and lower), brow lift, and forehead lift.   A tracheal shave, chin and jaw work was unnecessary.   There was a question about brow bone shaving, but in the end I decided not to, as it is a borderline situation for me.

Sorry, I am still learning this site!    I don't know how to upload a photo! ;)
But I have learned how to add an avatar!
  •  

Celia0428

Quote from: scrambledeggs on October 30, 2018, 03:32:53 AM
Thank you! The Argentinian quotes are definitely quite a bit cheaper but I don't think I could ever convince myself to go abroad for FFS. You're right about having little legal recourse not to mention the difficulty in getting revisions done. I'm sure all of those surgeons you mentioned are great but I think I want to stick a bit closer to home.

FFS with Dr. Rossi in Argentina may cost around 12k. It is because of the exchange rate that favors US dollar. Even if you had to get back to Argentina 3 times for revisions, which would be unheard of, you still would be paying less than a half of the 40k you got quoted in the US.
But staying in the US is the best way to avoid legal issues, that's right. You will never need legal recourse against a surgeon that you can't afford to begin with ;)
  •  

scrambledeggs

Quote from: Celia0428 on October 30, 2018, 12:36:24 PM
FFS with Dr. Rossi in Argentina may cost around 12k. It is because of the exchange rate that favors US dollar. Even if you had to get back to Argentina 3 times for revisions, which would be unheard of, you still would be paying less than a half of the 40k you got quoted in the US.
But staying in the US is the best way to avoid legal issues, that's right. You will never need legal recourse against a surgeon that you can't afford to begin with ;)

I can afford him, I'd rather not have so much done. I was hoping for scalp advancement, forehead contouring, rhinoplasty, lip life and maybe chin contouring. Once I get my official quote I'll know more about the specifics. I plan to go back for another consult in a few months to ask more questions.
  •  

Ricki Wright

Thank you. I have been in a not so mild funk about not knowing I was trans until I was 51 (See my post in the introductions section if you want a really long, and evidently humorous, story about that). You, awesome person, have reminded me it is never too late to be yourself.

Ricki
At 5 I forgot who I am. Fortunately, who I am protected me all these years until I remembered. Whatever else happens, I will live the rest of my life whole.
My story: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244130.0.html
HRT 07Nov18
  •  

Katie

There is NOTHING cheap anymore and the really good stuff is very expensive. ............ With that said having been through the recovery of FFS I can honestly say I dont ever want to go through it again. Miserable is a word that comes to mind.

What I am getting at is if the doctor suggest you do this and that and you decide to do this but wait for that I would caution against it because as I said earlier recovery is NOT fun. Get it all done in one swoop.
  •  

Anne Blake

I hear every word of your internal wrestling match about cost, don't REALLY need it, perhaps a bit of vanity. I am probably twice your age and will be in Spain in two months at FacialTeam. BTW, FacialTeam's quote came in lower than surgeons in the US even with the inclusion of travel expenses and a vacation layover in both Paris and Barcelona

Good luck with your choices,
Tia Anne
  •  

scrambledeggs

Quote from: Anne Blake on January 30, 2019, 04:38:12 PM
I hear every word of your internal wrestling match about cost, don't REALLY need it, perhaps a bit of vanity. I am probably twice your age and will be in Spain in two months at FacialTeam. BTW, FacialTeam's quote came in lower than surgeons in the US even with the inclusion of travel expenses and a vacation layover in both Paris and Barcelona

Good luck with your choices,
Tia Anne

Thanks for the reply! I actually commissioned Virtual FFS photos which are similar to what FacialTeam would do for me and wasn't impressed with the outcome. Don't get me wrong, they do great work but it's not the look I'm after.

And unless you're in your 70s (in which case you look amazing) I doubt you're twice my age!
  •  

Anne Blake

Well, I do fall into that age bracket but my avatar is two years old. I may change it out at some point
  •  

scrambledeggs

Quote from: Anne Blake on January 30, 2019, 04:59:27 PM
Well, I do fall into that age bracket but my avatar is two years old. I may change it out at some point

Well, I never would have guessed! I figured you thought I was 20!
  •  

jojo702

Quote from: scrambledeggs on October 29, 2018, 04:58:02 PM
So I just had my first quote for FFS. It went well but it's a lot more than I was hoping to spend.

I don't have a full list of the things we discussed but basically it involves scalp advancement, type 1 forehead contouring, rhinoplasty, fat injections, lip lift, chin contouring, masseter shave, and tracheal shave. All in all the price is about 40k.

I was hoping I wouldn't need that much work. To make matters worse I have about a Norwood type II hairline and I was told I'd need to spend another 8k for 2000 hair grafts. That brings the total cost up to almost 50k.

Now I'm not sure if I want to do this. I feel kind of vain for wanting it since I already pass if I wear a wig. I also don't have a prominent Adam's apple but the surgeon claimed that after the chin contouring it would be very noticeable.

I don't have any particular questions about FFS, I'm just frustrated. It would totally be worth it if I knew this would make me happy for the rest of my life but I'm already in my 30's and looks seem so fleeting. On the other hand I don't want to give up on my dreams, especially since I have the money do this if I want to.

I guess I'm just looking to chat about it and maybe vent a little and find out from others if FFS was worth it and if it made you truly happy.

Mine cost $27k not including flight and food and hotel. But they only did forehead and browridge contouring, jaw and chin contouring, buccal fat removal, upper eyelid, and lipo under the neck and that was it. But damn, $40k is alot.
15 years on HRT and going, started at age 16.

SRS+BA done in Bangkok, Thailand by the hands of Dr Chettawut Tulayaphanich and his team on November 1, 2014.
  •  

Quinn

I had my first consult for FFS in December the quote was for $76k ,  $44k sounds good to me  ;D
  •  

scrambledeggs

Quote from: Quinn on February 07, 2019, 06:52:17 AM
I had my first consult for FFS in December the quote was for $76k ,  $44k sounds good to me  ;D

Who quoted you $76k?
  •  

Quinn

•