Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

View from a trans-friendly Minister from London

Started by Sarah77, November 02, 2018, 08:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah77

I asked about the usual verses rolled out to claim transgender people are "broken" and need prayed for, but must turn away from their chosen path...

Her reply..

Hi Sarah, The Deuteronomy verses come out of the Jewish scriptures, that form part of the Torah/Law. Some Christians argue that as we are in Christ, we are not subject to the law. Jesus himself appeared to flout certain aspects of the law, particularly laws about healing on the Sabbath etc. Jesus ia also said to have fulfilled the law and the need for the law in becoming the Paschal offering, once and for all sin. Certainly today, many women wear what would traditionally be deemed men's clothing and vice versa in different cultures around the world. The other flip side to that is all of the codes about not eating shellfish, not wearing clothes of mixed fibres etc all of many Christians do, which are all part of the same codes. These verses are often cherry picked without looking at the whole picture. Isaiah talks about eunuchs being brought into the kin-dom of God, which covers the crushed testicles or no penis issue. You alao have to remember that when the scriptures were written, there was no concept of LGBT identity. Your identity came through your perceived gender, based on outside physical appearance only, who your father was and what tribe you belonged to. We now know that one person can have combinations of male and female dna in one body, so what does that mean for usually held positions of what constitutes gender? What woukd ut mean for Biblical writers to have had that knowledge? Jesus talks about eunuchs positively and Philip one of the disciples baptised a eunuch. We believe Christians are welcomed into the family/kin-dom of God via baptism.
In Romans, Paul talks a lot about being pure as Christians, many were getting involved in temple prostitution relating to fertility rites involving other Gods in the various Roman temples and Paul was talking against this. Pauls letter are peoblematic also. It is well known that Romans in particular, has been tampered with and had bits added to it. We also know that out of the 13 letters attributed to him, Paul only actually wrote about half of them but Romans and 1 Corinthians are among those he is believed to have written. The overarching theme is one of not engaging in anything that would separate you from Christ. Our bodies are temples but Jesus himself said if your right eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. This ia why I said these issues are complex and the Bible often does not have clear cut answers to these things but there are positives to be found. I hope this helps at least a little and I am happy to answer anything further,
  •  

Johnni Gyrl

Well, at least she gave a detailed answer and covered many points.

On the concept of 'not engaging in anything that separates you from Christ' - I would think that living your life more authentically and in greater truth would bring a person that much closer to Christ / God.
  •  

BlueJaye

Transgender people are broken, just like all other sinners. However, being transgender doesn't make us sinners. No more than being born with a cleft palate or a congenital heart defect makes one a sinner. Sinning makes us sinners, but being transgender is not a sin.
  •  

BlueJaye

Quote from: Johnni Gyrl on November 02, 2018, 09:22:53 AM
Well, at least she gave a detailed answer and covered many points.

On the concept of 'not engaging in anything that separates you from Christ' - I would think that living your life more authentically and in greater truth would bring a person that much closer to Christ / God.

This was the conclusion that my wife and I came to. We are both strong Christians, and it became clear to her that my not getting treatment and being real about who I am was inhibiting my relationship with God and ability to serve Him with all my heart. A person can't serve two masters, and I needed to stop trying live a lie for the approval of everyone else. Especially when the God I love and serve knows quite well that my masculine facade was all just an act.
  •  

anne_indy

Hi Blue Jaye - I just replied to another of your posts. You are fortunate that your wife gets it and is supportive of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •