Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Why are the pockets on women’s pants often so shallow?

Started by ChrissyRyan, November 12, 2018, 05:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

Why are the pockets on the back of women's pants often so shallow?
The front ones also are often not very deep.

Perhaps the answer is stylishness.
Perhaps you want nothing like hands and wallets putting "bumps" in those clingy, tight, even form fitting pants.

But, say you have one of those big cellular telephones.  Gosh, they can stick so far out of these shallow pants!  This is not very practical, if you ask me!

Women's pants simply often fit better for me than men's pants.  But they do lack those deeper, useful pockets that men's pants have.  Bummer!

Any thoughts on this?  We do not always have to wear skintight pants, we want comfort too.

I see no reason why we should not be able to have pant pockets deep enough to hold a large smartphone.  At least on some of our pants and shorts!

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

stephaniec

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: stephaniec on November 12, 2018, 05:39:42 PM
fashion

Yes, fashion and stylishness must play a major part of the pant's design.

But, if you have pockets in the design, perhaps they could be deeper, at least sometimes?   :)

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Jessica

Hi Chrissy!  Sometimes they are just the outside stitching....no pocket.  I have pairs that have no back pocket except for the stitching, but pockets in the front.  Typically any pocket on anything stylish is just for accent.....purses are a girls pockets.
Of course there are woman cut cargo pants with big pockets, but they're bigger than your butt.
I have seen adds for tough and rough women's jeans from a company in the US that was primarily for men's underwear and jeans.  The men's were supposed to make you feel 'buck naked', if you get my drift.

Purses are like shoes....gotta have em!
Hugs and smiles from a California girl

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Arianna Valentine

I believe it's because women are generally thought to carry everything they have in a purse so they don't need big front pockets on their pants

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

If you can't accept yourself,  how can you expect others to accept you?

curious about me:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,218617.new.html#new
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Jessica on November 12, 2018, 05:47:52 PM
Hi Chrissy!  Sometimes they are just the outside stitching....no pocket.  I have pairs that have no back pocket except for the stitching, but pockets in the front.  Typically any pocket on anything stylish is just for accent.....purses are a girls pockets.
Of course there are woman cut cargo pants with big pockets, but they're bigger than your butt.
I have seen adds for tough and rough women's jeans from a company in the US that was primarily for men's underwear and jeans.  The men's were supposed to make you feel 'buck naked', if you get my drift.

Purses are like shoes....gotta have em!
Hugs and smiles from a California girl

Hi Jessica!

Ah yes, purses.  That is true but gosh we can go out and about and do lots of things without carrying purses, like taking a walk down the trail but we still want the convenience and safety of having our telephone with us.  Women, like guys, can walk around the office with telephones and not also have their purses.  But purses are good too.  I saw some cute ones last week.  I am looking forward to Black Friday for some deals on maybe a new one!

And yes, I have pants with those "faux" pockets.

I would not trade our pants for guy pants and I know we can wear guy's jeans if we want to...
I guess I just see some practicalilty in having deeper pants for the newer, larger sized smartphones. 

Guy pants do not have the brighter colors usually except for golf pants.  We are lucky in that regard, we have more fashion.

And yes, those cargo and tactical pants or uniform pants can have the large pockets.  But they can be ugly.  They have their place.

Chrissy
  •  

Lacy

I love the way I look in women's pants. I'm a jeans girl!

But darn it if old habits don't die hard. I find myself trying to cram my hand into those super shallow pockets! If only they were like Mary Poppins or Hermione's bottomless bag! But...I guess that's what the dark hole of a purse is for!

It is difficult trying to carry around the big phones now days. Who carries a bag around work all day?! And I have no boobs to stick my phone into the bra.

Lacy

Hugs,
Lacy

She believed she could so she did!

The continuing story of my new life!

•  

Sabrina Rei

I just bought some madewell brand jeans which come in tall sizes and by god they have decent sized pockets! Still, if I have to go mobile i'll Sometimes just grab a wristlet style wallet that holds my phone and money and hang it from my wrist while holding it or stuff it in my outerwear pocket

Maid Marion

I bought a cute little crossbody wallet to hold my phone and driver's license.
  •  

barbie

As skirts do not have pockets, it would be OK for women's jeans not to have pockets. Actually, some women's jeans do deep and big pockets. Most of my jeans for ladies do have big pockets (brand names such as Calvin Klein).

http://www.ascvicenza.org/most-product/calvin-klein-jeans-womens-boyfriend-fit-light-wash-cropped-jeans-horizon-blue/

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Johnni Gyrl

Have you thought of getting a belt-clip type phone cover that would free up the pocket/purse problem? I have one for a larger smart phone, they're great & you never lose your phone either. ;-)
  •  

Jennifer M

Yes! This is an excellent question! It's got to be a conspiracy by Big Purse!

(And if the jeggings aren't even going to have pretend pockets they don't need to put the seams there at all!)

Ironically, this makes the cold half of the year slightly better for wearing women's jeans because then I can throw everything into the coat pockets.

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Maid Marion on November 13, 2018, 05:47:37 AM
I bought a cute little crossbody wallet to hold my phone and driver's license.

@Maid Marion
Actually this is a great solution.  I many times in some situations do not want to carry around a purse or handbag.  I like to keep my hands fairly free when I am out and about so a small neck-strap or shoulder-strap bag or wallet works perfectly form me as well.

On women's clothing items pockets are not there for functionality but more for looks.... plus putting a cell phone in a back pants or jeans pocket is just asking for a broken screen.

Thank you for sharing.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Johnni Gyrl on November 13, 2018, 08:06:09 AM
Have you thought of getting a belt-clip type phone cover that would free up the pocket/purse problem? I have one for a larger smart phone, they're great & you never lose your phone either. ;-)

I have thought about that, especially if the holder rotated.  I guess I will use the deeper pocketed jeans and a few other pants for now as I walk, as the holder just does not seem appealing to have on my belt, plus some of my belts are not very wide or thick ones.

Chrissy

•  

Arianna Valentine

These are the back and front pockets of the pants that I recently bought from Charlotte Russe of course the front pockets are useless. Only for looks lol

curious about me:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,218617.new.html#new
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: RealLacy on November 12, 2018, 06:19:41 PM
I love the way I look in women's pants. I'm a jeans girl!

But darn it if old habits don't die hard. I find myself trying to cram my hand into those super shallow pockets! If only they were like Mary Poppins or Hermione's bottomless bag! But...I guess that's what the dark hole of a purse is for!

It is difficult trying to carry around the big phones now days. Who carries a bag around work all day?! And I have no boobs to stick my phone into the bra.

Lacy

Hugs,
Lacy

Lacy,

I cannot see putting a telephone in a bra either.  I asked around and some women do indeed do that, as well as keeping money and whatever there.

If placed there, and if the telephone was on vibrate and I received a call, would the breasts jiggle?!?  Would it provide a massage?  Would I be calling myself a lot then?   :)  :)

Plus these telephones now can be rather large.  I do not even see how it could fit into my bra. 
On top of the breasts?  If I get a call, do I just reach down there and dig it out in front of everyone too?  During a meeting?

I think I would rather just walk with it in my hands or have it in a purse.  It can also stick out a little from a pocket, maybe an inch or so, but less than half way, otherwise it might drop out as I walk.

Chrissy
  •  

Arianna Valentine

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on November 13, 2018, 06:57:36 PM

Lacy,

I cannot see putting a telephone in a bra either.  I asked around and some women do indeed do that, as well as keeping money and whatever there.

If placed there, and if the telephone was on vibrate and I received a call, would the breasts jiggle?!?  Would it provide a massage?  Would I be calling myself a lot then?   :)  :)

Plus these telephones now can be rather large.  I do not even see how it could fit into my bra. 
On top of the breasts?  If I get a call, do I just reach down there and dig it out in front of everyone too?  During a meeting?

I think I would rather just walk with it my hands or have it in a purse.  It can also stick out a little from a pocket, maybe an inch or so, but less than half way, otherwise it might drop out as I walk.

Chrissy
I have actually done the telephone in the bra because I really did not want to carry my purse and everything else into the store so sometimes it's easier to just stick your cell phone in your bra it's like another pocket LOL of course now that my nipples have gotten so sensitive that just slightest touch feels like a thousand needles stabbing me I kind of don't do that anymore

•  

alyssalove2790

Quote from: barbie on November 13, 2018, 07:22:25 AM
As skirts do not have pockets, it would be OK for women's jeans not to have pockets. Actually, some women's jeans do deep and big pockets. Most of my jeans for ladies do have big pockets (brand names such as Calvin Klein).

There are some skirts sewn with pockets! I own one and it's very practical! Deep ones at that, I can stuff my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 in it. They're well hidden though sometimes I have to ruffle my skirt around to find them.  :D

You just have to find them! I like online shops for searching specific features.  ;)

https://www.amazon.ca/BIUBIU-Womens-Flared-Pleated-Pockets/dp/B078W1YLWF/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542158108&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=high%2Bwaist%2Bskirn&th=1
2018/**/** Coming out
2019/01/15 Begun HRT! Low dose Cypro and E.
2019/03/04 Full time woman!
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: alyssalove2790 on November 13, 2018, 07:17:17 PM
There are some skirts sewn with pockets! I own one and it's very practical! Deep ones at that, I can stuff my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 in it. They're well hidden though sometimes I have to ruffle my skirt around to find them.  :D

You just have to find them! I like online shops for searching specific features.  ;)

https://www.amazon.ca/BIUBIU-Womens-Flared-Pleated-Pockets/dp/B078W1YLWF/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542158108&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=high%2Bwaist%2Bskirn&th=1

Thank you Alyssa!  That is another option to look into!

Chrissy
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Johnni Gyrl on November 13, 2018, 08:06:09 AM
I'm not a big fan of things on my belt that are big and bulky. When walking or jogging I use an arm band and AirPods and control the music from my Apple Watch.

If I'm just out day to day I have my purse. Some times I use the larger purse like a tote but most of the time it's the bare essentials in a clutch or crossbody bag.
  •