Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Better late than never, Jamie

Started by gracefulhat, November 17, 2018, 05:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gracefulhat

So this thread is not starting pre hrt. I am now 14 weeks since starting hormones and blockers, but maybe starting a little late is ok. I am 36 years old and I am a transgender woman.
I have known, like many of you, about my being different from the normal since 5 or 6 years old. My most vivid memory was of my dad shaving in the bathroom while I was sitting next to him on the sink. I loved to go around acting as cute as I could and smiling really big to try and get others to smile back at me. I did this to my dad and he said, not in a negative way, that I would have made a really good girl. This was the first time that someone had seen "me" and I felt so validated! I never spoke about this to anyone until this year, and I grew up knowing that how I felt was not "acceptable". I have three other brothers and I grew up in a very masculine household. My dad played college football,  was always lifting weights, constantly took us to gun shows or target shooting, and had us in martial arts at the age of 4.
I had no sisters and my mom was the only feminine source I had. I can remember in 1st grade, my hand being smacked by the teacher for braiding a girls hair. In middle school my nickname was "switch", because of the way I walked (wide hips). I purposely went as far away from anything feminine for fear of my true self being revealed.
At 17 things became only worse when I had a Christian experience and felt self condemned for my feelings. I became a pharisee among pharisees and judged not only myself but others around me. This dark period continued for 13 more years until I reached a tipping point, relizing how foolish I was, and also begining to understand forgiveness and grace.
I married at the age of 21 and we have now been married for going on 15 years. She has helped me grow in love and understanding so much and thus far we are still together. But everyday is different.
In May of this year I had another tipping point. Thus far I had been able to keep my dysphoria secret, but I had several stressful incidents occur including selling our house, preparing to possibly move across the county, job worries, family difficulties, and giant diet change (changed to vegan). I quickly found my dysphoria out of control.
I could no longer continue to live without life, to be walking dead, not myself.

I didn't know who or where to turn. My mind/emotions/despair was so deep that I was having tunnel vision. I was able to find a local psychologist who was lgbt friendly, but I would have to wait for an appointment. I googled transgender chat and found myself chatting with a live person, whom I told what was happening to me. The person was very patient with me and after all my ranting wrote, "What your writing is that you are 'coming out'". It was like a revalation! Yes, I was coming out! What a perfect saying. I had heard this before, but now the saying was meaningful/personal. For some reason I felt a joy/comfort/peace after this.
This gave me a deep appreciation for people who volunteer to help through these chat lines. I am honestly not sure who I would have turned to or what I would have done because I was in a desperate state.

Thus began a series of events for coming out. I did and am still doing so much self learning about what it means to be transgender, and I have learned sooooooo much through you all here in Susan's Place. I could literally write a book about the last six months since coming out. There have been so many ups and downs, so many moments of joy and grief, of love and fear.

I must say that one of the greatest joys I have received from coming out is finding my voice. Literally. I never used to talk. My own parents tell me this, and I now know that it was a self defense mechanism because when I speak I inevitably will reveal who I am. But I started voice training 5 months ago and through it discovered that I really love to sing! And others tell me that I have a good voice. In order for me to voice train at home, I have found that singing is the best way for me to do so. My pitch has greatly improved through this and it is so much fun, especially through a singing app I use.

Another fun thing I have been doing is taking at least one selfie a week to document my changes. I will try to post a picture, but it is amazing to see how the facial expressions have changed. I could not smile or express joy before coming out but slowly that has changed.

Here's a short video I made of just the changes over the last 6 months  ><

On the darker side. My family have basically outcasted me. I have made a thread on this already, but the current climate is that I am an embarrassment to the family. My siblings refuse to not only not communicate with me, but they will not let me see my nephews and neices. My parents still see and speak with me, but it is guarded conversations. My wife is slowly accepting things. I am not sure how things will go when I get my adams apple reduction in 3 months and orchiectomy in 9 months.

I have met wonderful trans friends, especially through Susan's. I have met multiple trans persons in the last 6 months working as a PACU nurse. I don't know if I was just ignorant before, but since coming out I somehow run into our peeps all the time!

For the medical/psychological portion: My mind became almost immediately more calm (2 or 3 days in). My endocrinologist started me on Estradiol patches and spironolactone, and my 4 month appointment is early December, when hopefully she will at least double my doses. Physically I haven't seen too many changes. My chest/buds definately are always tender and there is a little growth. I have had 5 facial hair laser treatments, and have seen 85% reduction. I stopped exercising for a few months because I have alot of lean muscle and veins on my arms. I will resume yoga and cardio in maybe 3 more months. My diet has been vegan since 08/2017.

Measurements:
07/13/2018
Height: 74 in
Weight: 150#
Neck: 14in
Shoulders: 44in
Chest: 37in
Waist: 28.5in
Hips: 36.5in

Labs:
05/02/18 (pre hrt)
Hgba1c: 4.6
Cholesterol: 142
Triglycerides: 33
VLDL Cholesterol: 7
LDL cholesterol: 62
Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 1.9
HLD: 73

08/01/18 (pre hrt)
Hgb: 15.7
Plt: 185
K+: 4.2
BUN: 9
Creatinine: 0.8
Protein: 6.9
Estradiol, serum: 32.6
Prolactin, serum: 5.1
Testosterone, total: 460
Testosterone, free: 15
T4 free: 0.96
TSH: 1.230

08/30/18 (3 weeks HRT)
K+: 3.8
BUN: 15
Creatinine: 0.7

Above all, love
  •  

Jessica

Thank you for sharing this intimate telling of your experiences that led you on this path.
In future posts, as you transition, you may want to chronicle your successes, failures, hates, loves, what makes you cry and what makes you laugh.
You will reread this later on and watch how life unfolded for you in your transition to the woman you are...............and remember.

Hugs, Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Northern Star Girl

@gracefulhat
Wow, your experiences which eventually led you to your transition journey describe the kinds of rocky roads that most of us that transition travel down.   I am most happy that you have now come to a good place in your life where you are committed to reaching your transition goals.  Compared to many on here on the forums you started HRT comparatively young when you were 35 years old.   I started HRT when I was 35 years old in March 2015 so we are similar in that regard.

I am happy that your started your own personal transition and life-events thread to not only chronicle your transition progress but also your life events and life endeavors during your journey.

As our lovely member  @Jessica  mentioned in her previous comment, this is something that at any time you can sit down and read about your your ups and downs and your good times and your not-so-good times.... and here on the forums when you share with your readers and followers you can trade comments and suggestions with each other that can be most helpful to all.

I might also suggest that you keep a more private personal pen & paper journal for things that you do not desire to necessarily share with everyone.   
I have kept a diary/journal since I was in school and have continued making entrees and notations currently.   Not only will it be "fun" to read later on in your life but also can provide insight as to how you dealt with your life issues.

Again, thank you for posting and sharing, I will be eagerly looking for your future postings on your journal thread but also as you continue with your postings on various threads around the forums as you have been doing.

Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Lynne

Quote from: gracefulhat on November 17, 2018, 05:33:22 PM

...I never spoke about this to anyone...

...I grew up knowing that how I felt was not an "acceptable"...

...because of the way I walked...

I could no longer continue to live without life, to be walking dead, not myself.

I can relate to a lot of things you wrote, the ones in the quote could have been written about me as well. I quickly learned that my feelings are not "normal" from the perspective of the average people so I learned to hide my feelings.
Later, after a "You walk like a girl.." comment from a classmate, I spent considerable effort to suppress my feminine mannerisms as well. I still couldn't really fit in as a boy but at least my emotions were hidden from everyone, including my parents.

I tried to hold everything inside but I couldn't, so at first I started to write a journal to myself but I was afraid to discuss my feelings with anyone, even on the Internet. I knew that if I would start posting on sites like this one, that would start a chain reaction in me and I would loose control. That worked for a few years, I was secretly crossdressing, then I started to buy shoes and clothes and after some time I just needed to do something more. Most of the time it still feels like I just exist instead of really living. Really living my life feels so close, yet so far away as there are still things to solve after years of switching between male and female presentation.
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Jessica on November 17, 2018, 06:01:08 PM
Thank you for sharing this intimate telling of your experiences that led you on this path.
In future posts, as you transition, you may want to chronicle your successes, failures, hates, loves, what makes you cry and what makes you laugh.
You will reread this later on and watch how life unfolded for you in your transition to the woman you are...............and remember.

Hugs, Jessica

Thank you Jessica for the advice, I will take it to heart, because I do like to make things appear more pleasant than reality at times. Thus far I have had trouble really opening up to my psychologist as well, because it takes me a long........ time to trust people.
Above all, love
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on November 17, 2018, 06:49:11 PM
@gracefulhat
Wow, your experiences which eventually led you to your transition journey describe the kinds of rocky roads that most of us that transition travel down.   I am most happy that you have now come to a good place in your life where you are committed to reaching your transition goals.  Compared to many on here on the forums you started HRT comparatively young when you were 35 years old.   I started HRT when I was 35 years old in March 2015 so we are similar in that regard.

I am happy that your started your own personal transition and life-events thread to not only chronicle your transition progress but also your life events and life endeavors during your journey.

As our lovely member  @Jessica  mentioned in her previous comment, this is something that at any time you can sit down and read about your your ups and downs and your good times and your not-so-good times.... and here on the forums when you share with your readers and followers you can trade comments and suggestions with each other that can be most helpful to all.

I might also suggest that you keep a more private personal pen & paper journal for things that you do not desire to necessarily share with everyone.   
I have kept a diary/journal since I was in school and have continued making entrees and notations currently.   Not only will it be "fun" to read later on in your life but also can provide insight as to how you dealt with your life issues.

Again, thank you for posting and sharing, I will be eagerly looking for your future postings on your journal thread but also as you continue with your postings on various threads around the forums as you have been doing.

Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

Thank you Danielle! Making a diary of the really intimate things is a good idea.
Above all, love
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Lynne on November 17, 2018, 06:52:57 PM
Most of the time it still feels like I just exist instead of really living. Really living my life feels so close, yet so far away as there are still things to solve after years of switching between male and female presentation.

Lynne, my heart goes out to you!
Above all, love
  •  

gracefulhat

Just had an interesting date with my parents. My dad is big into guns, and I am not, but I have decided that if I want a relationship with him than I need to do what he enjoys. Since deciding to transition, we have not had a meaningful conversation. But after going target shooting with my parents today, we then went to Marks Feed Store where my dad sincerely asked about being transgender. They really wanted to understand this time, unlike before when I felt like he wanted to debate (which I refuse to debate about my gender). So I explained things to them that they had never heard and afterwards they both said that it really helps them to understand what being trans really is. It was a really beautiful moment, rare indeed.
Above all, love
  •  

pamelatransuk

Yes advice and education is a worthwhile tool even with parents.

I am glad your parents have appreciated your explanation and hopefuly the next stage will indeed be understanding followed by complete acceptance.

I wish you success.

Hugs

Pamela

•  

BrianaJ

Quote from: gracefulhat on November 18, 2018, 03:56:06 PM
Just had an interesting date with my parents. My dad is big into guns, and I am not, but I have decided that if I want a relationship with him than I need to do what he enjoys. Since deciding to transition, we have not had a meaningful conversation. But after going target shooting with my parents today, we then went to Marks Feed Store where my dad sincerely asked about being transgender. They really wanted to understand this time, unlike before when I felt like he wanted to debate (which I refuse to debate about my gender). So I explained things to them that they had never heard and afterwards they both said that it really helps them to understand what being trans really is. It was a really beautiful moment, rare indeed.

That's awesome!  To me, that sounds like a huge step forward.  Hopefully things will begin to build on that in the right direction with them. 
~~Be kind~~
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: pamelatransuk on November 19, 2018, 07:15:56 AM
Yes advice and education is a worthwhile tool even with parents.

I am glad your parents have appreciated your explanation and hopefuly the next stage will indeed be understanding followed by complete acceptance.

I wish you success.

Hugs

Pamela

Wow, complete acceptance is something I would never even dream of, but maybe!
Above all, love
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: BrianaJ on November 19, 2018, 07:46:31 AM
That's awesome!  To me, that sounds like a huge step forward.  Hopefully things will begin to build on that in the right direction with them.

thx Briana!
Above all, love
  •  

Dorit

Quote from: gracefulhat on November 17, 2018, 05:33:22 PM
QuoteSo this thread is not starting pre hrt. I am now 14 weeks since starting hormones and blockers, but maybe starting a little late is ok. I am 36 years old and I am a transgender woman.

I have to smile that you think you are starting late.  What would you call transitioning at 70!   Actually we have a lot in common, the big difference being there was no one to understand what I was going through as a youth.   So when I told the psychiatrist 50 years ago that I wanted to be a woman and hated my genitals, he had no idea what I was talking about.   Just another line to add to my mental illness file.    You are so fortunate to have found answers EARLY in life, that modern psychology and medicine has progressed tremendously in the last 50 years.

I really wish you the best, life has dealt us a difficult hand but there are answers today.  For myself, I can truly say better late than never!   Hooray!
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Dorit on November 19, 2018, 11:57:16 AM

I have to smile that you think you are starting late.  What would you call transitioning at 70!   Actually we have a lot in common, the big difference being there was no one to understand what I was going through as a youth.   So when I told the psychiatrist 50 years ago that I wanted to be a woman and hated my genitals, he had no idea what I was talking about.   Just another line to add to my mental illness file.    You are so fortunate to have found answers EARLY in life, that modern psychology and medicine has progressed tremendously in the last 50 years.

I really wish you the best, life has dealt us a difficult hand but there are answers today.  For myself, I can truly say better late than never!   Hooray!

Dorit, thank you for your kind words! I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for no one to be able to validate you for so long. I am definately thankful to be alive at this time and in this country. God bless.
Above all, love
  •  

Dorit

QuoteAt 17 things became only worse when I had a Christian experience and felt self condemned for my feelings. I became a pharisee among pharisees and judged not only myself but others around me. This dark period continued for 13 more years until I reached a tipping point, relizing how foolish I was, and also begining to understand forgiveness and grace

I too went through a religious period that in retrospect lasted too many years.   It just added to my self condemnation.  I would pray and ask God to forgive me and heal me.   I used to Google healing for crossdressing.   About ten years ago I started to read other sites and discovered what it meant to be born transgender.   Also, I began a shift from judgemental Judeo-Christian religion to a more accepting Buddhist expression.   The world has changed tremendously, and the internet has opened it to all.   I am so grateful that even in this last chapter of life I have found the healing and joy of self acceptance and the gift of being able to transition.   Like you too, I have paid a price of some serious rejection, but I bought the field and found the pearl!
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Dorit on November 19, 2018, 12:48:35 PM
I too went through a religious period that in retrospect lasted too many years.   It just added to my self condemnation.  I would pray and ask God to forgive me and heal me.   I used to Google healing for crossdressing.   About ten years ago I started to read other sites and discovered what it meant to be born transgender.   Also, I began a shift from judgemental Judeo-Christian religion to a more accepting Buddhist expression.   The world has changed tremendously, and the internet has opened it to all.   I am so grateful that even in this last chapter of life I have found the healing and joy of self acceptance and the gift of being able to transition.   Like you too, I have paid a price of some serious rejection, but I bought the field and found the pearl!

You look so amazing, can't believe that your 70 yo!
Above all, love
  •  

gracefulhat

Dorit please check out this article about a 99 year old ww2 veteran who transtioned at 70 years old after her wife passed away, it will melt your heart, she is so beautiful  :D
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-south-yorkshire-45937939/meet-the-99-year-old-transgender-ww2-veteran
Above all, love
  •  

gracefulhat

So I began wearing Lancome liquid primer and foundation to work 2 weeks ago. I was really nervous the first day, but no one noticed I was wearing it! I told my manager at the end of the day and she was legit suprised I had it on, so I know it's not a case of me just thinking that its ok, and everyone thinking to themselves the opposite. So for two weeks I have only had one girl I work with ask me about it, and she asked if I had done something to my face since my complection looked clearer.
Fast foward to yesterday and I walked into the bathroom and accidently saw my face because I was helping a patient, and it startled me. To me, when I saw myself I felt like all I could see was the foundation! I have been trying to be as low key as possible, not trying to be too obvious about transitioning because I don't want to freak patients and their families out. All the people I work directly with have known since before I started hrt.
But it embarrassed me, to myself. I feel like my face is way too thin and masculine to ever pass without ffs, and that leads me to a dilemma. Should I back off the makeup and wait longer? I know hormones take years and I need to be patient with myself. I can see that I am getting closer to the middle of the road though where I won't be able to hide things like long hair, breast... and I am a little nervous about it because it will be so apparent for everyone that I am trans. I don't want to dress like a boy anymore and I threw out almost all my boy clothes.
Above all, love
  •  

gracefulhat

Well I wasn't invited to Thanksgiving @ my parents with everyone else this morning because my siblings don't want their children around me since I'm transtioning. So I was pretty depressed this afternoon. My mom called around 4pm, which I knew she would, and wanted me to come visit since everyone else had left. I had mixed emotions during the drive to their house which included some curse words in my mind, then tears, then prayer. I know if I get upset then it will only be bad for me and i just need to let it slide off of me. So after getting there I ended up having a good time. I ate with my parents and then one of my older brothers came back over by himself and we all played spades together. I found myself laughing and smiling the most since... I can't remember it's been so long.
Above all, love
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: gracefulhat on November 22, 2018, 08:43:36 PM
Well I wasn't invited to Thanksgiving @ my parents with everyone else this morning because my siblings don't want their children around me since I'm transtioning. So I was pretty depressed this afternoon. My mom called around 4pm, which I knew she would, and wanted me to come visit since everyone else had left. I had mixed emotions during the drive to their house which included some curse words in my mind, then tears, then prayer. I know if I get upset then it will only be bad for me and i just need to let it slide off of me. So after getting there I ended up having a good time. I ate with my parents and then one of my older brothers came back over by himself and we all played spades together. I found myself laughing and smiling the most since... I can't remember it's been so long.

@gracefulhat

When I started reading your update I was feeling very sad for you regarding not being included in your family Thanksgiving dinner... then I kept reading and I realized that the ending was a much happier time for you.

I am glad that you day ended well.... but I am still sad about your siblings rejecting you... based on my own transition experience I can definitely feel your pain.   I know exactly how your are feeling about all of this.

Hang in there girl, I am glad that your parents and your brother all got together at your parents home to have a post Thanksgiving meal time ... and a card game too.   Finally laughing and smiling is a good thing.

Thanks for sharing.
Lots of hugs and more hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •