Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My biggest test, and I passed.

Started by Nina, November 26, 2018, 05:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nina

It's been 10 years since I came out and went full time. I think of the milestones along the way and what I've achieved.
In my eyes, I just accomplished my biggest challenge ever: travelling to a foreign country.
Up until two weeks ago, I had not flown or travelled anywhere as Nina. Before transition, I was everywhere - US, Europe, Asia, Latin America and Caribbean.
Hubby and I left for Spain two weeks ago. For me, there was a wee bit of apprehension as I'd be travelling with no makeup, new passport, and huge crowds of people.
First real positive was the small airport in Timmins where the airport security asked for a female to give me a pat down. Cool! Lol.
Then it was onto Toronto, Munich and finally Madrid. Never once in all those times on the flight, airports, walking around Spain did I even get a hint that I didn't belong.
Of all the countries I've been to prior to transition, Spain is now my favourite. Definitely be going back.
We are now back at our little cabin in the woods, trying to adjust to the time change, but feeling amazing.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Devlyn

Glad to hear your trip went well!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Nina on November 26, 2018, 05:37:20 AM
It's been 10 years since I came out and went full time. I think of the milestones along the way and what I've achieved.
In my eyes, I just accomplished my biggest challenge ever: travelling to a foreign country.
Up until two weeks ago, I had not flown or travelled anywhere as Nina. Before transition, I was everywhere - US, Europe, Asia, Latin America and Caribbean.
Hubby and I left for Spain two weeks ago. For me, there was a wee bit of apprehension as I'd be travelling with no makeup, new passport, and huge crowds of people.
First real positive was the small airport in Timmins where the airport security asked for a female to give me a pat down. Cool! Lol.
Then it was onto Toronto, Munich and finally Madrid. Never once in all those times on the flight, airports, walking around Spain did I even get a hint that I didn't belong.
Of all the countries I've been to prior to transition, Spain is now my favourite. Definitely be going back.
We are now back at our little cabin in the woods, trying to adjust to the time change, but feeling amazing.

@Nina
Dear Nina:
Thank you so very much for sharing your terrific report.  This is so very affirming for you but also please know that your experiences as you stated them are also very affirming and encouraging for many members here on the forums.

Please, as you feel so led, continue sharing your life adventures with all of us.
Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Nina

Ty Devlyn and Danielle

I think what is most amazing, and something I have to remind myself, is a lot of the concerns we have tend to be in our head. I know from my experiences how many times I've worried about this or that, only to be surprised that I was worried for nothing.

2008 - full time
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

JudiBlueEyes

Wonderful news Nina!  I'm glad you had a good time.  I have a friend who's been inviting me to Spain for some time.  I guess I should start looking into it!
Judi
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Nina

Quote from: JudiBlueEyes on November 26, 2018, 10:29:12 AM
Wonderful news Nina!  I'm glad you had a good time.  I have a friend who's been inviting me to Spain for some time.  I guess I should start looking into it!
Judi
If you do get a chance to go...go! We went off-season, so it was really, really cheap.
The history, museums, parks, food, red wine, the people....all was fantastic.
And, I felt way, way safer in Spain than I would back in North America.
2008 - full time
  •  

dee82

Quote from: Nina on November 26, 2018, 09:09:37 AM
I think what is most amazing, and something I have to remind myself, is a lot of the concerns we have tend to be in our head. I know from my experiences how many times I've worried about this or that, only to be surprised that I was worried for nothing.

Oh so true Nina. I do that needless worry all the time.

Your travel experience I find inspirational.

~Dee.
  •  

BrianaJ

Awesome!  That's good to hear.  We have some overseas travel plans for next fall and like you were, I'm somewhat anxious. 

P.S. I love your little tag line - I don't wear bows - I shoot them.  🦄
~~Be kind~~
  •  

Nina

Quote from: BrianaJ on November 29, 2018, 09:09:11 AM
Awesome!  That's good to hear.  We have some overseas travel plans for next fall and like you were, I'm somewhat anxious. 

P.S. I love your little tag line - I don't wear bows - I shoot them.  🦄
Haha thank you Briana. Wish I could say I came up with the saying, borrowed it from a hunting meme.
Funny, pre transition, I wasn't an outdoors person. As I settled into my routine as Nina, I became I teterested in everything Alaska and Yukon, from reading books, documentaries and videos. It was amazing to me how many women moved to Alaska to live off-grid, Hunt, fish etc.
Three years ago, I completed two hunting and safety courses. I got into archery because I felt if I was to try hunting, I wanted the experience to be about the outdoors, fresh air, exercise, and to make the playing field even with respect to hunting game.
Sure, anyone can use a gun to hunt, but try stalking on crinkly leaves without spooking.
I also fulfilled my dream of moving off-grid with my hubby. We live in the bush, off-grid, far far away from neighbors. And we love it.
2008 - full time
  •  

barbie

My official passports shows 'M' with an aged woman with makeup and long hair. I have traveled around the world during the past 15 years without any problem. A few people worried about me when I first visited China, but no problem in the airports (Qingdao and Shanghai Pudong Airport).

My greatest embarrassing moment happened in Los Angeles airport a few years ago. They randomly selected passengers to pat down the bodies, and I happened to be one of them. The female security lady even touched my groin area. She was very obtuse. At Washington DC Dulles airport, I was also patted down, but the female security lady there was at least kind, smiling at me and calling me as ma'am, despite the apparent 'M' mark on my passport.

My latest visit abroad this year was Yokohama, Japan through Narita airport in November.

Before that, I visited Qingdao, China in August

Cheers!

barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

Karen

Congrats on all your safe travels.  Please keep us in the loop.

I too would love to hear about your outdoor adventures. 

Karen.  Your fellow Canadian.   
Karen

* felt different like I did not fit, with strong feminine feelings and gender questions my entire life
* Sept 2016 - January 2017 real began to seriously question and research gender
* August 2017 friend explains transgender and gender vs sexual orientation, and immediately felt shock and begin to believe I maybe transgender
* March 2018 after 3 therapists, accepts I am transgender and am transitioning
* July 18, 2018 began HRT
* Feb 4, 2019 began Estrogen
  •  

Linde

Quote from: barbie on November 30, 2018, 01:28:01 PM

My latest visit abroad this year was Yokohama, Japan through Narita airport in November.

barbie~~
Is it still a big hassle to go through Narita? 
I was there the last time in the early 90's, and to get to the airport for departure was harder than getting into Fort Knox!  And the luggage carts in the airport were all made for the shorter Japanese people and I almost got a back ache from bending down to push them!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Jennifer M

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Definitely a big thing!

•  

barbie

Quote from: Dietlind on November 30, 2018, 11:50:31 PM
Is it still a big hassle to go through Narita? 
I was there the last time in the early 90's, and to get to the airport for departure was harder than getting into Fort Knox!  And the luggage carts in the airport were all made for the shorter Japanese people and I almost got a back ache from bending down to push them!

Big hassles happen in the U.S. air ports, not in Japan. Security check is the harshest in the U.S. airports.

Yes. Arriving and departure processes are slower in Japan than in S. Korea. In Korean airports, almost all processes are automatized by using pre-registered finger print images, and I even do not need to face any staff in the immigration desk. At Narita and other Japanese ports, the queues in the front of the immigration desks are so long, sometimes waiting for more than 1 hour. Immigration staffs there check the passports of passengers manually. In Korean airports, it takes less than 3 minutes.

I seldom use carts in the airport, but I did not notice any difference in cart height in Japanese airports. Young Japanese are far taller than their parents, which is the same in S. Korea.

Some photos from Narita to Yokohama about a month ago.

Arriving at Narita airport

In the train from Narita to Yokohma

Even polite Japanese people watch me behind, not just once, mostly twice, even on the bicycle. This is the same in my country.

Departing at Narita airport

barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

Nina

Quote from: Karen on November 30, 2018, 08:21:33 PM
Congrats on all your safe travels.  Please keep us in the loop.

I too would love to hear about your outdoor adventures. 

Karen.  Your fellow Canadian.

Woohoo...another Canadian.
Ty for the kind words.

Nina
2008 - full time
  •  

Linde

Quote from: barbie on December 01, 2018, 11:20:56 AM
Big hassles happen in the U.S. air ports, not in Japan. Security check is the harshest in the U.S. airports.
When I was still traveling a lot (I retired in 2006), US airports was easy for US passport holders.  Japan was pretty tough, the UK was Ok, and really tough was Israel and Saudi Arabia!  I don't know why, but I never was in Korea!  I went to all the countries for teaching pre and post surgical infection control & prevention.  It was always upon invitations of the different medical groups.  Korea never invited me!

Even polite Japanese people watch me behind, not just once, mostly twice, even on the bicycle. This is the same in my country.

barbie~~
Which normal man would not want to watch a pretty, attractive lady like you?

•  

Allison S

Wow I loved hearing about your travel to Spain, Nina! Spain sounds like an amazing person to visit... Sign me up [emoji4]
And I only wish I lived off the grid with someone like you and your husband are doing. That sounds a little like paradise right now...

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

barbie

Quote from: Dietlind on December 01, 2018, 11:35:12 AM
Which normal man would not want to watch a pretty, attractive lady like you?

Ha ha. Thanks! But admittedly I look striking rather than pretty.

Even in northern European airports people payed attention to me. In Chinese airports, some immigration office staffs called me 'sir', but I did not care so much. They were anyway kind and polite to me.

Ljubljana, Slovenia 2013

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: barbie on December 01, 2018, 08:35:25 PM
Ha ha. Thanks! But admittedly I look striking rather than pretty.

Even in northern European airports people payed attention to me. In Chinese airports, some immigration office staffs called me 'sir', but I did not care so much. They were anyway kind and polite to me.

Ljubljana, Slovenia 2013

barbie~~
I think it is rare for most Europeans to see a tall and elegant/with it Asian woman like you are.  In Eastern Europe most of the Asian's were guest workers from Vietnam and Cambodia, and they tend to be rather short and stocky people.  In Western Europe it is mostly Japanese persons, and they are not that tall either.
As tall and slim, and with it, as you are, you stand out in most any crowd!

•  

Nina

Quote from: Allison S on December 01, 2018, 08:12:12 PM
Wow I loved hearing about your travel to Spain, Nina! Spain sounds like an amazing person to visit... Sign me up [emoji4]
And I only wish I lived off the grid with someone like you and your husband are doing. That sounds a little like paradise right now...

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
Thank you Allison

Life is funny, at least for me, that since I began transition, I said I'd always be positive. No matter what curveball was thrown my way, I'd be happy regardless. And it seems, being positive, has worked out. I'm not saying being positive makes your dreams come true, but it's better than being miserable.
When I first transitioned, I didn't think I'd undergo GRS. Bam! It happened.
Never thought I'd meet someone, let alone be interested in me and get married. Bam!
The idea of going off grid was just an idea three years ago. This year we bought a little log home in the bush. I realized there was nothing in the city I needed.
I don't fret over stuff, I don't let things bother me. I just let things happen, and hope they turn out.

Lol, I sound like an annoying motivational speaker 
2008 - full time
  •