Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Is it “invading” their space if we as mtfs dine at a gay/lesbian restaurant?

Started by ChrissyRyan, December 01, 2018, 12:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

I realize that a public restaurant should be clearly open to all.  I was wondering if we as mtfs are invading gay and lesbian establishments if we are patrons, and not also guests of gay or lesbians?

I have been reading online that the greater public acceptance of gays and lesbians, neighborhood gentrification, cis-women having bachelorette parties at gay and lesbian establishments, and so on have contributed to less of a gay and lesbian environment in many gay and lesbian bars and restaurants.

Futhermore, because of greater gay and lesbian acceptance, gays and lesbians are far more comfortable going anywhere, and this is causing gay and lesbian establishments' business to often slow down, resulting in some gay and lesbian establishments to close.

While one can say that our money is good as that of gays and lesbians, that these gay and lesbian establishments are public places, I am a woman sensitive to others, including the feelings of gays and lesbians that their gay and lesbians venues are perhaps being eroded by transgenders or straight people. Further, as some online articles state, there are various types of gay and lesbian bars and restaurants.  Look at articles on the Internet about all of this, as that can make for interesting reading and you can see diverse perspectives.

I suppose we could say, go, why not, if you do not feel comfortable there, do not return.
But I do care about people's feelings, not just mine.  Thoughtfulness can go a very long way.

What do you think about this, should we just go, or go if as a guest of a gay or lesbian, or go if a lgbt supporting event or meal is being held at that gay or lesbian establishment?

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

KathyLauren

TBH, I don't know how I would be aware that a restaurant was a lesbian space until I had seen the clientelle, and even then, it might take me a while to catch on.  A restaurant is a public space, and they cannot exclude people (at least not in this part of the world).  So it is not a case of invading "their space".  It is just choosing to eat at a particular establishment.

Since I would most likely be dining with my wife, we would obviously be a same-sex couple.  If it truly is a lesbian restaurant, we would be the type of customers they would want.  I don't disclose my trans status to random strangers or to wait staff.  The only way the issue could come up would be if someone read me and decided to be rude about it.

I can understand if individuals, gay or straight, take a dislike to me for whatever reason.  Their loss.  But I don't offend most people, not even most lesbians.  So I just can't see it being an issue.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Rayna

We have limited options where I live, it being a mid-sized city. The "primary" gay & lesbian bar has very much accepted the trans* community as well, such as hosting a Thanksgiving meal and our "Empire" events. Between Drag and Trans, it seems pretty unified and open.

As you said, our money is a good as anybody else's, and I feel like they're happy to have more customers and more energy.

I have seen some of the cis-female gatherings going on there too, but they don't feel intrusive to me -- they are at their tables and seem to be there for the same reason of celebration and joy as anybody else.
If so, then why not?
  •  

Donica

In my neck of the world, it is common place as most of the gay and lesbian bars often have different nights of different types. A lot of them have drag queen shows on different nights. I'm just guessing here but I don't think there is an issue. I've never heard of any such issues.

An interesting question though Chrissy. Definitely worth exploring.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Donica on December 01, 2018, 01:02:55 PM
In my neck of the world, it is common place as most of the gay and lesbian bars often have different nights of different types. A lot of them have drag queen shows on different nights. I'm just guessing here but I don't think there is an issue. I've never heard of any such issues.

An interesting question though Chrissy. Definitely worth exploring.

Donica,

When I went online to explore the question of if transpeople are accepted at gay and lesbian establishments, I found a trove of articles.  Some of these articles led me to pose the question in this thread.  Some articles mentioned that gays and lesbians establishments were losing their original atmosphere of providing exclusive spaces where they can be accepted. 

A more diverse clientele can bring in more revenues though and that is good for the businesses, unless I suppose it drives away larger parts of their base clientele of gays and lesbians that more than offsets the revenue gain from non-gays becoming patrons.

If straight people (or anyone, including gays and lesbians) go to these places, often marked by various lgbt flags or signs, and they feel uncomfortable, they likely will not return.  They should expect to see gay or trans couples, and some may greet or say good-bye to each other by hugging or sharing a quick kiss.  Perhaps they should now expect to see trans people, including those who may not pass well.  It may be difficult for anyone to know if someone there is straight, gay or lesbian, or trans in any case.  One would wish no one would care, and instead, embrace all.

However, this does route back to the original question, if a more diverse clientele attend, the atmosphere could be unwelcome by some gays and lesbians, or embraced by some, or some do not care, as people are people!  Are we invading as mtfs invading their spaces to their detriment?

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Nina

Call it a vibe, a feeling, or something else, but I feel more comfortable fitting in a pub/bar that isn't LGBT. The couple times I did frequent a gay bar, there was a drag show, I felt uncomfortable. Maybe because I didn't want to be confused by the straight people who were there that drag queens and me were the same.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Janes Groove

How would then even know.  If you're eating at a gay owned, lbgt friendly, restaurant it's not exactly like you have to wear a sign that says "I'm gay."  I've been going to Pete's Kitchen on East Colfax for years.  They have great hamburgers and the vibe is welcome to all.  Straight or gay.

As a matter of fact your on pretty solid ground here given that the Rainbow Flag is an explicit symbol of inclusivity.
  •  

Linde

I would not even know what a gay or lesbian place is.  I don't know any of such places where I live, but I don't know any gay or lesbian persons either (how would I be able to identify them?)
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Michelle_P

If the food is decent and the ownership and some staff is LGBT, I'll be there to dine and support them.  I will generally avoid drag shows.  Some drag acts are both loud and misogynistic (a few mocking trans women as well!) which I do not care for.  I will go to the shows one friend works in, as they are a relatively class act, no misogyny, and a really good performance by someone in great shape with excellent makeup skills.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

GingerVicki

•  

dee82

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on December 01, 2018, 01:54:32 PM
However, this does route back to the original question, if a more diverse clientele attend, the atmosphere could be unwelcome by some gays and lesbians, or embraced by some, or some do not care, as people are people!  Are we invading as mtfs invading their spaces to their detriment?
Chrissy

I think if  group of hetrosexual people organised themeselves to visit a gay or lesbian bar en masse regularly then that would be invasive.

But if it is individuals (of any orientation) who just happen to go there for the atmosphere and food, then it shouldn't matter.

Will someone be unwelcoming? Maybe. But unless you are going out of your way to flaunt whatever it is they can't accept for a few hours, I think it's okay.

Conversely, if a cis man and a cis women walk in to have dinner and drinks together, who's to say they are, or are not, both gay anyway?

~Dee.
  •  

GingerVicki

We live in an ugly world. Don't many people view transgendered people as crossdressers anyhow? It does not make sense for gay or lesbian establishments to discriminate.
  •  

Sky1090

I have yet to find a gay/ lesbian establishment that discriminated against trans, especially here in Chicago. Granted, there are some that are more "trans friendly" but the vast majority of the bars and clubs are super inclusive
  •  

HappyMoni

This brings to mind an old joke that might just fit this thread.

A transgender horse walks into a gay club and 'saddles up' to the bar. The gay bartender smiles and says, "Hi friend, why the long face?"

Get it?

Quote from: Nina on December 01, 2018, 02:04:51 PM
The couple times I did frequent a gay bar, there was a drag show, I felt uncomfortable. Maybe because I didn't want to be confused by the straight people who were there that drag queens and me were the same.

I have had this thought too. We went to the beach with friends and one of them suggested going to a show. I told them to go. I was not great at passing at that point and pretty self conscious. I think we should all support each other in whatever way we feel comfortable. Everybody needs allies even if we don't fit in exactly.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Linde

I think it was partially this drag queen image that prevented me to transition earlier!  I just did not want to be like one of them, and I am still concerned that some people may see me as a drag queen or a cross dresser!

•  

HappyMoni

I just want to be who I am, perceived to be as such. I want to be clear that I don't disparage others for their paths. My story was not meant to look down on any other group. Linde, with the limited information in the media while we were growing up, it is not hard to think that we had a difficult time finding examples of who we relate to. My impressions of trans people growing up were of one or two people who seemed to get hounded with bad press.

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Linde

You are right Moni, what did we know about transgender?  I am  some years older than you, and i believe transgender persons were not really known when I grew up.  Only those who cross dressed, or those who lived in the world of sex business as drag queens were know.  Both were shunned by society, and not suitable as a role model.
The only intersex people one ever heard about were the hermaphrodites who were attractions in cheap carnival shows. It is for sure that I did not want to be like those. 
So we continued to stay in the closet and the frustration build up until it could not be bottled any longer.  For me it was the destruction of my very happy marriage.
I envy the trans and intersex young people of today, even though it is still hard to come out, but society is changing, and they have a chance to live a long life in the rolle that is theirs, and they can develop in the way they were mend to live!

•  

Rayna

Quote from: Dietlind on December 02, 2018, 09:34:06 AM
... I am still concerned that some people may see me as a drag queen or a cross dresser!
When I sent an early photo of myself cross dressed, a niece replied that I "look really good in drag." I was a little put off by her use of the term but wasn't sure myself of the distinction at the time.

Now even "cross dresser" has varying definitions. Our therapist last week was insistent that many of her cross dressing clients feel the same compulsion to express their feelings as transgender people do. So some people may use transgender and cross dresser interchangeably. They may not mean it the way you fear they do when it comes into the conversation.

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

If so, then why not?
  •  

DawnOday

There are so many negative connotations for transgender people already and now we are "Space Invaders?"
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

HappyMoni

Quote from: DawnOday on December 02, 2018, 12:24:11 PM
There are so many negative connotations for transgender people already and now we are "Space Invaders?"

I don't know Dawn, if we get like cool uniforms like Star Trek and can avoid the humans shooting us out of the ski, I might be up for it. lol Just don't want to come down to the planet in a red blouse. They never survive.

]
  •