News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Hiding Stubble/Shadow MTF

Started by veronicashannon88, December 02, 2018, 08:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veronicashannon88

Hi,

I'm looking for ways to conceal my facial hair stubble. I noticed my facial hair is pretty aggressive. It gets pretty clear when I shave in the morning, but it slowly returns with a vengeance by the time its evening. I'm planning to get a wax at some point. But in the meantime, shaving is my only bet.

Does anyone have any tips to hide the stubble/shadow? 
  •  

Sky1090

Beware on waxing aggressive thick facial hair. It's not like getting your legs or arms waxed. The hair is much deeper rooted and OMG does it hurt coming out. I found this out personally lol. For me, a good brush set and the right combination of a super close shave (against grain is your best bet) good foundation and concealer will help the most. My profile picture was taken about 15 hours after a super close shave and there isn't much beard shadow to be seen
  •  

veronicashannon88

Quote from: Sky1090 on December 02, 2018, 08:48:20 AM
Beware on waxing aggressive thick facial hair. It's not like getting your legs or arms waxed. The hair is much deeper rooted and OMG does it hurt coming out. I found this out personally lol. For me, a good brush set and the right combination of a super close shave (against grain is your best bet) good foundation and concealer will help the most. My profile picture was taken about 15 hours after a super close shave and there isn't much beard shadow to be seen

Ohh, I'm going to remember that! Thank you. Should I look for a specific razor? I use the Gillette Venus Spa disposable razors atm
  •  

Sky1090

Quote from: veronicashannon88 on December 02, 2018, 09:53:07 AM
Ohh, I'm going to remember that! Thank you. Should I look for a specific razor? I use the Gillette Venus Spa disposable razors atm

I used those for a while but found they were irritating my neck too much. I switched over to a men's cartridge razor. I use a cheap one from Harry's that I got at the local Walmart. I've honestly started using it on my legs too. Knicks and razor burn are a thing of the past lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Lyric

I think the best way is to have a good quality razor and good cream and learn to shave carefully. To have a smooth look all day, though, you'll have to shave more than once a day. I recently switched to Cremo brand cream, which comes in a squeeze tube and goes on very thin. I prefer it over the old foam type. You can actually buy shaving creams with anti-androgynic properties that supposedly retard facial hair growth over time. I haven't tried one, yet, myself, though.

When shaving I try to gradually move the blade over the skin in different directions for maximum hair removal. First down at a left angle, then down at a right angle, then up at a left angle, then up at a right angle. This seems to result in the smoothest shave, though I have some difficult areas on my face that require more effort.

The only ultimate solutions seem to be laser and/or electrolysis treatments. Laser doesn't work for lighter hairs, so most people start with laser, then go to electrolysis for the rest. Some people here have had luck with DIY laser gadgets like those made by Tria, but I'd imagine you'd want to be very careful with something like that.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Sky1090

Quote from: Lyric on December 03, 2018, 11:09:39 AM
I think the best way is to have a good quality razor and good cream and learn to shave carefully. To have a smooth look all day, though, you'll have to shave more than once a day. I recently switched to Cremo brand cream, which comes in a squeeze tube and goes on very thin. I prefer it over the old foam type. You can actually buy shaving creams with anti-androgynic properties that supposedly retard facial hair growth over time. I haven't tried one, yet, myself, though.

When shaving I try to gradually move the blade over the skin in different directions for maximum hair removal. First down at a left angle, then down at a right angle, then up at a left angle, then up at a right angle. This seems to result in the smoothest shave, though I have some difficult areas on my face that require more effort.

The only ultimate solutions seem to be laser and/or electrolysis treatments. Laser doesn't work for lighter hairs, so most people start with laser, then go to electrolysis for the rest. Some people here have had luck with DIY laser gadgets like those made by Tria, but I'd imagine you'd want to be very careful with something like that.

I'm so glad my hair doesn't grow too fast. I can go 24 hours before that pesky stubble gets too crazy. It will be nice to have electrolysis done.

You make a very good point. Make sure you shave in multiple directions. Feel for which way the grain goes and shave against it. Not all grain goes one way. I probably make 4 or 5 passes to ensure a perfectly smooth face

•  

veronicashannon88

Quote from: Lyric on December 03, 2018, 11:09:39 AM

Quote from: Sky1090 on December 03, 2018, 12:24:11 PM
I'm so glad my hair doesn't grow too fast. I can go 24 hours before that pesky stubble gets too crazy. It will be nice to have electrolysis done.

You make a very good point. Make sure you shave in multiple directions. Feel for which way the grain goes and shave against it. Not all grain goes one way. I probably make 4 or 5 passes to ensure a perfectly smooth face

I JUST TRIED THIS AND IT WAS THE SMOOTHEST, CLOSEST SHAVE I'VE EVER HAD! THANK YOU! Now to play around with make-up! <3
  •  

dee82

A close shave certainly makes a difference. I prefer to use cheap disposable non-pivoting twin blades. The less blades makes for a thinner head which is great for close to the nose and below the bottom lip.

And because it doesn't pivot, I can control the angle to get the closest cut. As said above, figuring out your grain and going against it at multiple angles is key.

I like to see my skin and what is going so I don't shaving cream, but my own thin lather from pure goats milk soap.

Be prepared to cut yourself when figuring out the best angles and direction for yourself. And never try for a super close shave when in a rush. Blood and tears will surely follow.

If I have  special long event, I get a fresh razor from the packet so I know it is the sharpest it can be. And the razor I was previosuly using gets demoted to duty on my legs and arms. (Always keep the freshest razors for your face.)

The ones I buy are like a packet of 18 for not a lot of money.

For the makeup side, I use BB cream following with mattifying powder for the areas around the chin, the corners of my mouth, and above the lip. Traditional foundation, I find too heavy for my taste.

Veronica, have fun experimenting.

~Dee.
  •  

veronicashannon88

Thanks so much for the tip @dee82 ! It's made me more aware of a razor's life expectancy. I often do the same with mine, using older razors for my body.

These tips are going a long way. How often do you guys shave? I tend to skip out during the weekends, when I'm just home.
  •  

dee82

You're welcome Veronica. On the weekend I don't shave in the morning, and will put it off until an hour before going out, if that is in the afternoon or evening.

During the week usually only once per day, but if i have something special on in the evening I might shave a second time.

I am doing laser hair removal (only 4 appointments so far) so some weeks I get minimal dark hair growth, and only a quick second shave is needed to get rid of the grey/white hairs to be smooth again for fresh make-up.

Other times, the laser treatment (depends on the hair growth cycle, so I am told) seems ineffective and getting rid of the shadow is really hard... and I feel a little depressed. Of course, those are the times when I shave too aggressively and ending up cutting myself. What's worse a shadow, or blood and nicks from cuts?

~Dee.
  •  

NatalieRene

Way back when I tweezed my face bare. Waxing was quicker but it was too much pain at once but tweezing while watching a movie helped.

However nothing beats good old electrolysis.
  •  

sally0196

Hi Veronica,

All the other recommendations you have received are great ones.  Ultimately, you'll have to choose a shaving method that works best for you.  You might also consider a good quality conditioner, the kind for hair, as a shave cream.  I have tried dozens of shaving creams, lotions, and pastes, but none of them have worked as well as conditioner for a close shave.  I use a Gillette Mach 3 razor on my face.  It is more expensive than the disposable ones, but it does a super job.  I have a different razor for my legs.  One last thing.  You might also consider using some beard camouflage underneath your foundation.  Since beard shadow is blue, it is best to conceal the beard area with a red or orange correction concealer.  Orange is best for concealing beard shadow and red is next best.  It really works very well.

Hugs,

Sally 
  •  

Lucca

I'm very new to makeup and have only tried applying it a couple times. I've tried applying some orange concealer or red lipstick to my beard shadow before applying foundation, and it hasn't really hidden anything. Is there some trick to this?
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Lucca on December 17, 2018, 07:54:42 AM
I'm very new to makeup and have only tried applying it a couple times. I've tried applying some orange concealer or red lipstick to my beard shadow before applying foundation, and it hasn't really hidden anything. Is there some trick to this?
You have to shave really close. Foundation can only conceal the hair if the hair is cut down to the surface.
  •  

IzzyM

Quote from: Lucca on December 17, 2018, 07:54:42 AM

There is a lot on line about using pinks to cover your shadow, but I like you am very new to applying make up. (Other than a bit of lipstick)
I suppose it is a matter of experimenting until you find what works best for you.
It isn't hard at all to make a wish. The difficultly lies in how to make what you wish for a reality
  •  

Lucca

Quote from: NatalieRene on December 17, 2018, 07:57:18 AM
You have to shave really close. Foundation can only conceal the hair if the hair is cut down to the surface.

I shave close enough that it feels completely smooth. I use an electric razor, but usually after showering, cleaning my face with some cleansing gel formulated for shaving prep, covering my face in "Shave Secret" oil, and then using shaving soap. I've never been able to shave very close with a cartridge or safety razor. The hairs just won't cut close no matter how many times I pass over, what direction I do it in, or what level of pressure I apply.

How do you know if it's close enough?
  •  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Lucca on December 17, 2018, 09:01:31 AM
I shave close enough that it feels completely smooth. I use an electric razor, but usually after showering, cleaning my face with some cleansing gel formulated for shaving prep, covering my face in "Shave Secret" oio, and yen using shaving soap. I've never been able to shave very close with a cartridge or safety razor. The hairs just won't cut close no matter how many times I pass over, what direction I do it in, or what level of pressure I apply.

How do you know if it's close enough?
Smooth skin is a good indicator. From there you need to figure out what color will work well for you.

If you are open to plucking you barely need any foundation at all.
  •  

Linde

After my last laser appointment, all my dark hair is gone.  I am blessed with a very slow growing beard, and can wait 3 to 4 days between shaving.  I have the best results and the least cutting into my skin with the Gillette 5 blade cartridges. when I use this, It takes at least 2 days until I get the sandpaper feel in my face.

But I feel the only real solution for the removal of the dark beard shade is laser treatment!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

NatalieRene

Quote from: Dietlind on December 17, 2018, 12:34:25 PM
After my last laser appointment, all my dark hair is gone.  I am blessed with a very slow growing beard, and can wait 3 to 4 days between shaving.  I have the best results and the least cutting into my skin with the Gillette 5 blade cartridges. when I use this, It takes at least 2 days until I get the sandpaper feel in my face.

But I feel the only real solution for the removal of the dark beard shade is laser treatment!
Laser will help but take it from a fair skinned dark haired person, in the end you will need electrolysis. In my experience you might as well skip right ahead and get it done.
  •  

Lucca

How much concealer should there be before putting on foundation? Should it be a thick layer, thin layer, darker, lighter? Should the shadow be totally hidden before putting foundation on? Last time I tried I think I had too much and it mixed with foundation and made it orangey. But some shadow was still visible.
  •