Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Court hearing for name change tomorrow

Started by Curious, December 04, 2018, 01:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curious

Ahhhh! I can't sleep! I have my hearing in 8 hours for my legal name change. I'm so scared :c Seems like nobody I know really cares that much, but this is HUGE for me. I was forced such an ugly masculine name, and now I can finally change it, I hope!! Excited and scared, because I'm afraid of what might have come up on the background check, or my judge being transphobic since im in north dakota :c. I got an attorney to help me, but she's new on this stuff too, but she's going to walk to the court house with me and that really helps my anxiety c: Ahh wish me luck !!
  •  

Devlyn

Good luck! They're done at an administrative hearing here in Massachusetts, I wasn't notified, the court order just arrived in the mail.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Curious

Yeah it really depends. My friend who blocked me, said they got their court order name change without ever going to court. I think it depends where we live and how common this is. Considering my attorney doesn't really do this much, I don't think it's common and the judge wants interrogate why I'm doing this. Not really a fan. But hey
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Arianna Valentine

Quote from: Curious on December 04, 2018, 01:38:28 AM
Ahhhh! I can't sleep! I have my hearing in 8 hours for my legal name change. I'm so scared :c Seems like nobody I know really cares that much, but this is HUGE for me. I was forced such an ugly masculine name, and now I can finally change it, I hope!! Excited and scared, because I'm afraid of what might have come up on the background check, or my judge being transphobic since im in north dakota :c. I got an attorney to help me, but she's new on this stuff too, but she's going to walk to the court house with me and that really helps my anxiety c: Ahh wish me luck !!
Good luck with your name change sweetie but I'm sure you will have no problem I was so scared when I got my name changed too well when I applied for it and I thought I would never get it but I didn't even have to go to court the judge just granted it on the paperwork may I ask why I said that I was transitioning and that was all I needed but I was still so scared so once you do get your name change remember that feeling I hold onto that feeling because it can help you a lot of tough times

If you can't accept yourself,  how can you expect others to accept you?

If you can't accept yourself,  how can you expect others to accept you?

curious about me:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,218617.new.html#new
  •  

FollowTheFellow

Best of luck on the name change. I lived for several years in North Dakota and know what a cold place that can be (both in climate and culture). I think that it takes a courageous person to deal with that state (I barely could myself) and am sending nothing but positive energy your way. I do know that my fairly conservative company in ND was very accepting of trans folk (including myself) and there are quiet allies in many places, so hopefully your judge will be a respectful human and treat you with the dignity you deserve.

Sending positive thoughts your way!!!

-A
  •  

Curious

Just a late update! I got approved !!  ;D

Time to send my court order to california with an affidavit to change my birth certificate name and gender! ! !   ;D ;D
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Maddie

Quote from: Curious on December 08, 2018, 04:22:18 AM

Time to send my court order to california with an affidavit to change my birth certificate name and gender! ! !   ;D ;D

Wow, so good for you!! Glad it was approved :)

This is something that has been on my mind.
California is my birth state.   Am I right to assume that it is possible for me to have the gender changed on my birth certificate?  Can you share how/where you found this info?

Congratulations, and thanks
Crossdressed as small child. Told parents, then hid it.
1980s-2010s Alternately "out" to varying degrees and/or outright denial and man-faking
2015 Surrendered/allowed my she-self to show more outwardly. Changes begin.
Currently working with counselor. No HRT or surgeries yet.
  •  

Margarine

California took less than 2 weeks to get my paper work back, I did mess up and filed for a correction and not an amended one... opps ;)
My old name fell off any background checks, credit reports etc... It was a pain with the credit, took a 110 point negative hit, but after two years have a better score. The IRS wanted some information from 2015 business returns and the poor person was confused, as the SSN didn't trigger the old name just what I go by now.

Congratulations on the name YOU WANTED!
Take care,
Margaret
PS my partner and I did pass my old name on to her Service dog... It's fun when people come to the door and ask for Phillip and here comes this 70 lb  Standard poodle...

Quote from: Curious on December 08, 2018, 04:22:18 AM

•