Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Riverdale

Started by MaryT, December 04, 2018, 11:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryT

Last night, I watched the first episode of Riverdale, shown on Britain's freeview 5Star channel.  I presume that any interested Americans have already seen it.  Archie comics characters are less well known in the UK (Archie Andrews the ventriloquist's dummy is probably more familiar), so I don't know how well the series will go down here.

I probably wouldn't have started watching myself if I hadn't been an Archie comics fan when I was younger.  Not that I recognise the characters much (nothing to do with the series being live action).  The series is dark and humourless, as I suspect that the comics (or should I say "graphic novels") are becoming, going by the cover art.  There are familiar names, though, e.g. Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica, Moose, Pop Tate and even Josie and the Pussycats.  I haven't seen Rotten Reggie or Dilton, yet.  Perhaps they were considered too stereotyped but I'm still on episode one.

Everyone in the show is beautiful, which ironically makes the original cartoons seem more realistic, in a way.   As with Dorian Gray, however, the beauty hides deep and sometimes dark secrets.  Even Big Moose has a secret.  Poor Midge (I haven't seen her yet either, I'm just sayin').

In episode one, it is revealed that Archie has had a secret affair with someone other than Betty or Veronica.  Try not to visualise it in terms of the original cartoons or you might need more than transgender therapy.

I'm sure that many Archie fans sometimes wondered why a certain attractive character kept degrading herself by constantly trying to get the attention of another character, and why she and another wholesome and unattached character didn't get together.  In future episodes, that avenue will be explored.  (I know because some weeks ago, 5Star aired some of the later episodes more or less randomly after midnight [they do that - don't ask me why]).

•  

Lacy

I love the Riverdale TV show! It is a lot different than the comics, but I can make an exception in this case! It is definitely a more dark and dramatic show, but it is well done.

I am addicted and eagerly awaiting season 3!!
Lacy
She believed she could so she did!

The continuing story of my new life!

•  

GingerVicki

I saw it on Netflix but skipped over it. I'll have to watch it.
  •  

MaryT

I have seen the first five episodes now and I agree with Lacy that the series stands well on its own, independently of the comics.  No prior knowledge of the characters is necessary, as Veronica meets Archie and Betty for the first time in episode one.  Reggie and Dilton did appear, as did Chuck and Ethel, and Midge has been mentioned a couple of times. 

The original comic stories were not always humorous, sometimes concentrating on teaching a life lesson.  At first I thought that it may be a sign of the times that in Riverdale, even popular Archie comics characters were being portrayed as amoral or immoral, with even Archie having the most illicit of affairs.  In the past, I sometimes wondered whether many Americans realised how valuable the Archie comics were as a representation of American culture.  On an online forum for a course I was studying years ago, a student took the opportunity to make an absurdly generalised attack on American culture.  I almost instinctively replied that I preferred to think that Archie and Jughead were more typical. 

Possibly not all Americans will be flattered that after all of their country's achievements, anyone could think that Archie comics were the best representatives of their culture.  However, I cannot think of any other medium that for such a long time has mirrored contemporary American culture while at the same time having main characters that tried to do the right thing for its own sake.  One example that stuck in my mind was a strip in which Archie tried to help a squirrel, leading to one disaster after another.  In the end, Archie sat sadly contemplating how everyone hated him, until a squirrel brought him an acorn.  Archie comics could also teach social skills.  In one strip, while Archie shovelled snow out of his jalopy, Reggie mocked him and asked why, in spite of himself being superior to Archie in looks, sporting ability, intelligence and grades, Archie could be so popular.  After clearing his car, Archie replied "I don't know, Reggie.  Can I give you a lift?"

I may have been mistaken about the Riverdale series marking the death of that ethos in the Archie universe, though.  In episode two, Reggie blacked Archies eye but, in episode five, he showed genuine concern for Archie and Archie behaved unselfishly towards him, showing that as in the comics, in spite of their constant squabbling and rivalry, they were still friends when it came to the crunch.

•  

MaryT

One sub-plot of  the series concerns the demise of Riverdale's Drive-In movie theatre.   I live in the UK where, as far as I know, Drive-Ins do not and never have existed.  I do know that in South Africa they were once numerous and popular.  (I have wondered whether it was from Archie comics that entrepreneurs in that country got the idea.) 

Are there any other countries in which Drive-Ins are or were popular?
  •