Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

HRT risks for trans women?

Started by Lisa89125, November 01, 2018, 01:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa89125

Hi Everyone, I am new but not new around here. I am a new subscriber but have lurked since 2015 as I struggle with my journey to becoming a woman and being me for the first time in my life.

I am not yet on HRT and want to be very much on HRT. That said, I have been researching issues for 2  years now and have read a lot of scientific writings on HRT and progesterone and the effects on MTF.

I will admit I am a little worried by the recent study from earlier this year. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/study-finds-health-risks-transgender-women-hormone-therapy-n890031

An earlier study seemed to suggest HRT was pretty safe when done by a professional. Now this study would contradict the earlier findings.

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

Sarah77

from what I know, there is much unknown about the long term risks as transgender hormone treatment is a relatively recent phenomenon.

However, the risks are minimised by careful blood and health monitoring - partly why people are asked not to self medicate.

For heart attack risk, I believe Trans woman still have lower risk than CIS men, so that figure might be misleading in the article.

Is this study comparing trans women with CIS women? Of course CIS women will still have lower risks of many traditionally 'male' health risks
  •  

KathyLauren

Hi, Lisa!

Welcome to Susan's Place.

The elevated risk for those conditions has been known for some time.  When you start HRT, you will be told about the risks and asked to sign a consent form.

The numbers listed in the article about that study are higher than others I have seen.  However, it is never a good idea to base one's position on a single study.  And it is always a good idea to get closer to the source than a news media article.

In the end, it is your call whether you want to accept the risks or not.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.  Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Cindy

This article is also very misleading in its terminology. "Twice the risk of DVT than Cis women" is meaningless unless the risk is stated. "80% increase in heart attack" is meaningless unless the base line in mentioned. This is just bad reporting.
  •  

PurplePelican

Quote from: Cindy on November 01, 2018, 03:35:14 PM
This article is also very misleading in its terminology. "Twice the risk of DVT than Cis women" is meaningless unless the risk is stated. "80% increase in heart attack" is meaningless unless the base line in mentioned. This is just bad reporting.

Seems the study itself isn't much better.. Tiny sample.. Restricted single source data.. And a conclusion that can be summed up as "Probably need to do some more research on this with better data."
This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
  •  

StacyRenee

Based on the numbers, that works out to 5% occurrence of cardiovascular events. That's right on par with the numbers I've read previously.  Also, method of administering the estrogen plays a role. From what I've read the risk of DVT/PE are roughly 3-5% for oral estrogen, 2-3% for injection, and 1-2% for patches and pellets.  Another factor not discussed is smoking. Smoking doubles the chances of clots. This has been known for decades as doctors are reluctant to prescribe birth control pills to smokers. As touched on by Sarah77 , if you transitioned later in life, then you will have the risk associated with having lived as male for X amount of years.
And finally, estrogen levels should be monitored. Extremely high estrogen levels have been associated with a higher risk of clots.

There really hasn't been any comprehensive studies on transgender hormone use. Otherwise we would all be getting very similar treatment. Some of us get different dosages. Some take different anti-androgens. Some take progesterone. There really isn't any hard and fast rule for how to take hormones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Aceofblackdiamonds on November 01, 2018, 01:17:20 PM
Hi Everyone, I am new but not new around here. I am a new subscriber but have lurked since 2015 as I struggle with my journey to becoming a woman and being me for the first time in my life.

I am not yet on HRT and want to be very much on HRT. That said, I have been researching issues for 2  years now and have read a lot of scientific writings on HRT and progesterone and the effects on MTF.

I will admit I am a little worried by the recent study from earlier this year. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/study-finds-health-risks-transgender-women-hormone-therapy-n890031

An earlier study seemed to suggest HRT was pretty safe when done by a professional. Now this study would contradict the earlier findings.

Lisa

@Aceofblackdiamonds
Dear Lisa:
    I am most pleased that you had decided to join the Susan's Place.

I see that our lovely member  @KathyLauren   has already welcomed you to Susan's Place.  Please allow me to also welcome you here.
Thank you for writing your very first posting.... other members will be along to offer their thoughts and comments in response to your specific questions and concerns..

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation as you continue to feel free to share it.

I want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***It's a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

There is information and important LINKS that  KathyLauren  included in her welcome message to you.   You will find information about the site that will help you navigate around and best utilize the features here.   
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

NOTE:  Be certain to follow KathyLauren's suggestion and go to the Introductions Forum and write a brief introduction post and summary about yourself so that more members here on the Susan's Place forums will be aware of your arrival and therefore you may obtain more responses and information that you might be looking for and you will be able to share with others.
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Nikkimn

I'd rather risk death as a trans woman then spend the rest of my days in a mans body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Lisa89125

I am going to transition or die trying. I can't live anymore this way. I want a body that matches how I feel inside. I don't care how many hurdles I have to jump through or how many mountains I need to climb. I'd rather live a shorter but happy life.

My mom had high blood pressure and arrhythmia. It's genetic and runs in the family. I was tested for the second when I was very young.

I just feel there is always something threatening to derail my journey before I ever get to HRT.

I am working on writing my introduction. My life has been very complicated and my story is quite long.

Lisa

•  

Sonja

Lisa
@Aceofblackdiamonds

Hi Lisa,

There is an in depth discussion on the forums somewhere  -do a search, in which a well versed member describes how many adverse health effects of hrt are brought about by the exact type of estradiol being taken with synthetics being the main culprits. The member goes on to explain why in great detail.
I suggest you find it and read - its very good.
@Cindy
@Dena
Can either of you point the right direction? Its the member on Susans who is very knowledgeable about this stuff  -I can't remember their name. But they're have a professional biologist type background.

Sonja.
  •  

warlockmaker

I was advised about these specific risks seven years ago. However, much of it depends on the family history and the persons health record. Generally, if you are healthy and lead a healthy life with regular health checkups the risks are in accordance with their normal pre hrt levels.
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

CarlyMcx

Quote from: Nikkimn on November 01, 2018, 06:37:41 PM
I'd rather risk death as a trans woman then spend the rest of my days in a mans body.

Exactly.  My last ten years before transition were a constant fight with high blood pressure, anxiety, panic attacks, and irregular heartbeats.  On a recent pre surgical ECK my PA told me that my left atrium was slightly enlarged from extended high blood pressure.

I would have had a heart attack or a stroke anyway, and getting my blood pressure down by transitioning was a net gain in health, regardless of the risk involved.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: Aceofblackdiamonds on November 01, 2018, 08:37:18 PM
I am going to transition or die trying. I can't live anymore this way. I want a body that matches how I feel inside. I don't care how many hurdles I have to jump through or how many mountains I need to climb. I'd rather live a shorter but happy life.

Lisa

It looks like you answered your own question. Yes there are risks, but nothing that would drastically shorten your life. I could not image continuing down the path I was on before HRT. Someone was going to get hurt, or possibly lose their life. Even if my life may now be a few years shorter, the time I have will be filled with joy and happiness instead of anger and rage.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Sonja

@Aceofblackdiamonds

here, I found the link to the discussion about some of this.
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,241152.msg2182456.html#msg2182456

Enjoy,

Sonja.
  •  

GingerVicki

HRT is proven to help with some age related issues. I want better quality of life while I grow old. If it costs me a few years so what. The years I had were better. How can someone put a cost on that?

Everyone is different. Some people will have issue. HRT improves many lives and this is not limited to transgendered people.
  •  

KayXo

If we take bio-identical hormones non-orally, then essentially, we are on par with premenopausal ciswomen. Same risks, same situation. Ciswomen also have babies and become pregnant...pregnancy = very high estrogen + very high progesterone for 9.5 months. Pregnancy is associated with a reduced risk of breast cancer. Ciswomen suffer less, relative to men, from cardiovascular disease.

The above study found an increased risk in transwomen BUT the data on what type of HRT they were on was only known in 11 of the 95 people who had VTE or ischemic stroke (they were on oral estradiol alone) so that we cannot get a good idea of overall type of HRT. Maybe the overall HRT consisted also of non bio-identical hormones which greatly increase the risks.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Lisa89125

Quote from: Sonja on November 06, 2018, 05:43:41 PM
@Aceofblackdiamonds

here, I found the link to the discussion about some of this.
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,241152.msg2182456.html#msg2182456

Enjoy,

Sonja.

Thanks. I am terrible at keeping up with my posts.

Lisa

•  

Linde

Lisa
This is actually a well known risk (that's why they reduced estrogen for post menopausal women).  One of our members was recently diagnosed with a blood clod in her calf.
One shall not forget that the study population is relatively small, and that the risk is not very large either!

<edit by moderator>
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Lisa89125

Quote from: Dietlind on December 04, 2018, 12:02:28 AM
This is actually a well known risk (that's why they reduced estrogen for post menopausal women).  One of our members was recently diagnosed with a blood clod in her calf.
One shall not forget that the study population is relatively small, and that the risk is not very large either!

<edit by moderator>

"One of our members was recently diagnosed with a blood clod in her calf."

I think I missed that discussion. I hope she is well now.

Hugs

Lisa

•  

Linde

Quote from: Aceofblackdiamonds on December 05, 2018, 12:05:08 PM

"One of our members was recently diagnosed with a blood clod in her calf."

I think I missed that discussion. I hope she is well now.

Hugs

Lisa
She is, the member is Christine
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•