Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

T and Birth Control

Started by Sybille, December 07, 2018, 01:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sybille

I feel like I should include this as a kind of disclaimer or something? But I'm not a trans dude, I'm a nonbinary lesbian but still face body dysphoria that I feel going on T would help fix. What I'm concerned about is the fact that I'm on hormonal birth control (IUD) because otherwise my periods are agonizing. I'm worried that being on T while on birth control would cause adverse effects, so does anyone know anything about this?
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. I don't know all you need to know however I do know that T isn't a birth control medication so you would have to use some other form of birth control. Physical methods of birth control are one option at T could suppress most or all of your periods. If Chemical is used, it would probably be a progesterone based pill which would avoid the issues  with estrogen. Your doctor would be better able to answer this question because far more information would be needed to determine the correct birth control method for you.

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Sybille

Quote from: Dena on December 07, 2018, 01:39:17 AM
Welcome to Susan's Place. I don't know all you need to know however I do know that T isn't a birth control medication so you would have to use some other form of birth control. Physical methods of birth control are one option at T could suppress most or all of your periods. If Chemical is used, it would probably be a progesterone based pill which would avoid the issues  with estrogen. Your doctor would be better able to answer this question because far more information would be needed to determine the correct birth control method for you.

Things that you should read

The thing is, I already have an IUD, and I'm wondering if I'd have to have it removed before starting T, or if it'd be safe to keep in. Apparently the specific hormone is progestin, if that helps any.
  •