News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Bras (MTF)

Started by veronicashannon88, December 11, 2018, 02:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veronicashannon88

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend tips on bra shopping. I'm two months on HRT and my breasts are really starting to develop. I basically have fire tits- everything is sensitive and the slightest bump hurts. I've been told by many of my cis lady friends that I should consider getting a training bra.

I think it's about time, but I really have no ideas on where to start or how to even just buy one (I feel like I'll need to pass completely before I could go near a store without suspicion). Any suggestion? 

To give an idea of where I'm at, I have had considerably large breasts way before HRT. It's all pubescent leftovers, I believe.
  •  

Devlyn

The sign on the door says " No shirt, no shoes, no service" but it doesn't mention passing. I went to Victoria's Secret for a fitting, and the sales assistant asked what size I normally wear. I told her I was transgender, on hormones, and had just grown the boobs. I recommend that you do the same.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Sabrina Rei

I would just go for a non-wired variety for now like a t-shirt bra, a bralette or a sports bra until your breasts push past an AA cup, assuming they do. That's what works for me. They usually sell them in S, M, L sizes so you only have to roughly figure out your size. It's not as strict as something built for support.

KathyLauren

I would recommend a sports bra to start with.  The sizing tends to be more flexible, and they are often sold in smal-medium-large, rather than numbered sizes.  Sizing is by band size, not cup size.  I needed a large even though I had no cup size to speak of.

A sports bra will protect your tender nipples while allowing room to grow.  If you get one with tank-top straps, it makes good camouflage if you are still presenting as male, since people will assume a tank top if they see the straps.

Yes, going into the store is weird at first.  The first thing to remember is that your money is as good as anyone else's, and the store wants it.  The second thing is that you are not breaking any laws.  You have as much right to be there as anyone else.  You could be shopping for your wife or girlfriend.  Just take a deep breath and do it!

It gets easier.  I went bra shopping quite a few times in my cross-dressing days, and eventually it was no big deal.  But, if you have an understanding female friend, it will be easier on your ticker to have her along for support.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

GingerVicki

The time has come for me to buy a sports bra so I went to Khols online and I am going to buy this bra in blue sometime this week when I get paid. I am a Medium according to the size guide.
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3297949/adidas-dont-rest-alphaskin-medium-impact-sports-bra-dh4440.jsp?skuId=61447833&cItemId=3956659276&action=edit&fulfillmentType=SHIP
  •  

Maid Marion

From what I read today T shirt bras are designed to be inconspicuous. So you might consider that if you are still in "stealth mode."
  •  

dee82

My first time buying was with my wife. Before that I always kept well clear of that area of Target. I like shopping at Target cause it's relatively cheap and store assistants don't come up to bother/help you.

I have nothing to show, so I was only wanting a AA or A to get used to wearing one and help with presentation. We ending up looking that what I think they call the T-Shirt bras, all soft material, no wire and lightly padded. On the day I was dressed up with my most feminine look that I could achieve at the time.

So with a handful (about 10) of possible sizes we headed off to the change rooms together. There is no way I would have used the change rooms alone. No one gave us a second look going in, and out of the 10 bras we found 2 that fitted right.

My advice is if at all possible find a woman friend who knows about such things to go with you to help. It can make the process a lot more manageable.

~Dee.
  •  

veronicashannon88

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 11, 2018, 07:27:33 AM
I would recommend a sports bra to start with.  The sizing tends to be more flexible, and they are often sold in smal-medium-large, rather than numbered sizes.  Sizing is by band size, not cup size.  I needed a large even though I had no cup size to speak of.

This is something I noticed when my wifey had me try on some bras years ago. It was really based on the width of my chest... I know I could repeat it (I was cispassing and we played it off like a joke) but it just feels so much more different and real this time.

Quote from: dee82 on December 11, 2018, 05:08:47 PM
My first time buying was with my wife. Before that I always kept well clear of that area of Target. I like shopping at Target cause it's relatively cheap and store assistants don't come up to bother/help you.

I have nothing to show, so I was only wanting a AA or A to get used to wearing one and help with presentation. We ending up looking that what I think they call the T-Shirt bras, all soft material, no wire and lightly padded. On the day I was dressed up with my most feminine look that I could achieve at the time.

So with a handful (about 10) of possible sizes we headed off to the change rooms together. There is no way I would have used the change rooms alone. No one gave us a second look going in, and out of the 10 bras we found 2 that fitted right.

My advice is if at all possible find a woman friend who knows about such things to go with you to help. It can make the process a lot more manageable.

~Dee.

I would do that, but most of the stores here (Usually Uniqlo, H&M and local dept stores) are so strict about who goes in an out of the dressing room. So I make it a point to rush in with as little interactions as possible, with the wifey as close as possible. It's all so nerve wrecking.

Quote from: Maid Marion on December 11, 2018, 04:45:27 PM
From what I read today T shirt bras are designed to be inconspicuous. So you might consider that if you are still in "stealth mode."

I've seen quite a few of those, usually in H&M and Uniqlo. It's a good start for me.
Quote from: KathyLauren on December 11, 2018, 07:27:33 AM
Yes, going into the store is weird at first.  The first thing to remember is that your money is as good as anyone else's, and the store wants it.  The second thing is that you are not breaking any laws.  You have as much right to be there as anyone else.  You could be shopping for your wife or girlfriend.  Just take a deep breath and do it!

It gets easier.  I went bra shopping quite a few times in my cross-dressing days, and eventually it was no big deal.  But, if you have an understanding female friend, it will be easier on your ticker to have her along for support.

This means everything to me right now. This is something I really wanna do over the holiday season!

Quote from: Devlyn on December 11, 2018, 02:52:18 AM
The sign on the door says " No shirt, no shoes, no service" but it doesn't mention passing. I went to Victoria's Secret for a fitting, and the sales assistant asked what size I normally wear. I told her I was transgender, on hormones, and had just grown the boobs. I recommend that you do the same.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn

-huuugs- This is something I really can't wait for. I think I'm going to rock it!

Thank you all for the responses and being so patient with me. It's like wanting everything but not really knowing where to start. You're all so lovely and beautiful and amazing! <3
  •  

dee82

Quote from: veronicashannon88 on December 11, 2018, 10:34:46 PM
I would do that, but most of the stores here (Usually Uniqlo, H&M and local dept stores) are so strict about who goes in an out of the dressing room. So I make it a point to rush in with as little interactions as possible, with the wifey as close as possible. It's all so nerve wrecking.

A detail I left out of my story, was that one style which I tried on and liked wasn't quite the right cup size. So my wife said don't worry I will leave you here while I quickly go out and get the other size.

So she went out and left me there inside the little room in the women's side of the Target change rooms. I felt so vulnerable and conspicuous. I kept imagining someone rapping on the door saying "Hurry up in there" and me not responding because my voice would give it all away.

Of course, no one cared or knew, but it felt like forever.

Good luck with the shopping!

~Dee.
  •  

Maid Marion

I've also heard that VS has a very liberal return policy, especially if you leave the tag on and have the receipt.  Order online and return what doesn't fit.They are counting on this approach being dangerous to your pocketbook, so it may be too risky for some.  ;)

If you really want to make a SA happy, get a bra fitting and sign up for a credit card.  Then buy the stuff online.  SAs get gold stars for getting people to sign up. 
  •  

veronicashannon88

Hi everyone! Thought I would share a brief update. I finally bought a scar over the Christmas break. I got it from Mumuso, a popular chain of Chinese products that are marketed as Korean products. It was fairly easy. I didn't have to try it on. I simply picked out a pair, read the size description and paid for it.

It's a black sports bra that's classy enough to go with non-sports wear items. Putting it on took a lot of time to figure out, but once it was on, I couldn't bare to take it out. It just felt so comfortable to have on. And I started to wear it under my usual get-up normally.

Safe to say that I'll be updating my wardrobe with more bras from Mumuso. It's such a huge thing for me. I am just too happy!
  •  

AnneK

QuoteI think it's about time, but I really have no ideas on where to start or how to even just buy one (I feel like I'll need to pass completely before I could go near a store without suspicion). Any suggestion?

Just find a decent bra or lingerie shop and go for a fitting.  You'd not be the first "guy" to do that.  I bought my bras from a store that required it's clerks to be willing to fit men.

I don't know where you are, but there is a lingerie store called "Sophisticated Pair" that supports the trans community and everyone else who wants a bra.  They have a store, but also sell online.

http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •