Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Controlling Parents!!

Started by scrubcore, December 25, 2018, 07:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrubcore

I'm 22 years old, just graduated college in May, and have been working full time ever since. I've lived away from home since my freshman year and have been living in my current apartment for just over a year.
I just got the approval from my therapist for an emotional support dog and am working towards adopting a dog soon. I told my mom and she called me "crazy". It's hard for her to wrap her brain around the concept of an ESA.
I also want to note that I have a job in animal care and my job provides benefits, such as 70% discounts on vet bills, free boarding, and I can bring my dog to work with me most days.

I'm just so frustrated that she's not trying to even have a conversation with me about this.

•  

Arianna Valentine

You know honestly I think most parents are controlling they feel that you're their child which is true they raise you which is true and that they should be able to control you even when you leave the house this is not true if you feel that you need a support animal I said get one this is something you need for your own Saint Denis even if she will not have the conversation with you you need to worry about you you're an adult you can make your own decisions my sister-in-law has an emergency support animal and he is a wonderful little dog and I'm sure once your mom actually gets to meet that little bitty dog she will actually see the change in you but she will also see how wonderful it is to have a support animal if I could have one that my father wasn't allergic to dogs and cats I would get it all I would love to have a little puppy

§§§§~~~~If you can't accept yourself, how can you expect others to accept you?~~~~§§§§
If you can't accept yourself,  how can you expect others to accept you?

curious about me:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,218617.new.html#new
  •  

GordonG

Quote from: Arianna Valentine on December 25, 2018, 07:42:56 PM
You know honestly I think all parents are controlling they feel that you're their child which is true they raise you which is true and that they should be able to control you even when you leave the house this is not true if you feel that you need a support animal I said get one this is something you need for your own Saint Denis even if she will not have the conversation with you you need to worry about you you're an adult you can make your own decisions my sister-in-law has an emergency support animal and he is a wonderful little dog and I'm sure once your mom actually gets to meet that little bitty dog she will actually see the change in you but she will also see how wonderful it is to have a support animal if I could have one that my father wasn't allergic to dogs and cats I would get it all I would love to have a little puppy

§§§§~~~~If you can't accept yourself, how can you expect others to accept you?~~~~§§§§

I have to speak up and say that no, not all parents are controlling. My wife and raised 5 children to be fully independent and a productive member of society. We told them many many times, that we love them no matter what and that as long as they are happy that is all that mattered to us.

And to those who do have parents like that I truly feel sorry for them. It is too bad. And somehow you need to do what is best for you regardless of what they say.
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Arianna Valentine

Quote from: GordonG on December 25, 2018, 08:18:02 PM
I have to speak up and say that no, not all parents are controlling. My wife and raised 5 children to be fully independent and a productive member of society. We told them many many times, that we love them no matter what and that as long as they are happy that is all that mattered to us.

And to those who do have parents like that I truly feel sorry for them. It is too bad. And somehow you need to do what is best for you regardless of what they say.
This is very true I made a mistake of categorizing all parents together I changed the all in my statement to some to make it more correct thank you very much for pointing that out and I am so happy that you raised your children that way it's a wonderful way to raise them it is also the same way I raised my children

If you can't accept yourself,  how can you expect others to accept you?

curious about me:  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,218617.new.html#new
  •  

scrubcore

Quote from: Arianna Valentine on December 25, 2018, 07:42:56 PM
You know honestly I think most parents are controlling they feel that you're their child which is true they raise you which is true and that they should be able to control you even when you leave the house this is not true if you feel that you need a support animal I said get one this is something you need for your own Saint Denis even if she will not have the conversation with you you need to worry about you you're an adult you can make your own decisions my sister-in-law has an emergency support animal and he is a wonderful little dog and I'm sure once your mom actually gets to meet that little bitty dog she will actually see the change in you but she will also see how wonderful it is to have a support animal if I could have one that my father wasn't allergic to dogs and cats I would get it all I would love to have a little puppy

Thank you! I couldn't agree more. Feels good to know I'm not 'crazy' (as my mother says!)
She was the same way when I first mentioned wanting to start T over a year ago, and very early on in the HRT process she was still very unsure, but now she sees how much happier and more confident I am and realizes how much of a necessity it was for me. And I have a hunch the ESA situation will be very similar!
I think also because I'm the "baby" of the family she's exercising that extra motherly case of "my BABY, you are just a CHILD in this world, you know NOTHING~" and think's I'm not actively thinking like an adult with bills to pay lmao

•