Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Making the difficult choices.

Started by cassiebythesea, December 28, 2018, 01:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassiebythesea

Just for a little bit of context, I'm not out yet to either of my parents, and I have a trans male cousin who has been effectively cut out by a good portion of my family after coming out as trans. Also this is going to be a stream of consciousness rant, so apologies in advance.

This past weekend I drove out to Arizona to spend some time with my father and my uncle. Now, I didn't really want to to begin with. Both of them are growing more and more homophobic and racist as time goes on. Not really the kind of crowd I want to spend time with. However, they're still family. I've had more good times with them than I could count. But more and more I feel that is coming to an end.

If I really felt I had a say, I wouldn't have gone out there. But something inside was telling me that this may very well be the last time I'm welcome in their house.  When my cousin came out as trans four years ago, almost the entirety of my father's side were pretty quick to distance themselves from him. Ever since then, no one in that half of the family will ever mention my cousin, except to say they'll "grow out of that phase in time."

Not only does this bother me pretty badly, but it makes me even more concerned for when I finally come out to my family. I'm not too worried about my mother; she's been supportive of everything I've ever done. My father, on the other hand, has made it entirely clear that he has no respect for the LGBT+ community as a whole. And considering the number of "he-she" jokes he dropped in the span of two days, I felt particularly distanced from him for the first time in my life.

Already before this weekend the day I come out is already the most dreaded day of my life. Right now I feel almost certain I'm going to lose a large portion of my family. Part of me wonders just long I can go without ever telling them, but at some point they're going to find out.  And I fully expect nothing but negativity from them, my father in particular.

So this puts me in a less than enviable place. I need to do what I need to do for myself; I've already spent a number of years trying to be what my father wanted me to be. But now I need to live for myself. I feel that the future ahead of me is worth losing family and friends over. It's not going to be fun, but I believe ultimately worth it in the end.

What I have tentatively in mind is that when that day comes when I tell him, I'm going to offer him one chance. Only one. All I ask is that he treats me with respect. That's it. But if he acts anything like he has towards my cousin, then maybe I don't need him in my life. He's my father, he's helped my through countless struggles in my life, but I truly feel that if he decides to treat me as anything less than he's ever treated me, then he's made the choice for me.

Anyways it's been a rough few weeks for me. I'm tired. Sorry to anyone who actually read all this.
  •  

FOoly CoOly

Your situation sounded a lot like mine. My family does not have the capacity to understand trans people. I kept telling myself I would wait for a day I felt really confident to tell them, however that day never came.  My mother ended up catching me off guard one day and asked if I had boobs, I told here yes and I am transgender. She was a bit apprehensive about it but she calmed down after a few weeks, still is not happy though. My father sounds exactly like yours, always cracking jokes about the entire LBGTQ community and it makes me angry, I never got around to telling him. After I told my mom I noticed my dad was a lot more careful with his jokes, specifically around me. I believe my mother spilled the beans. I will eventually get around to telling him but until then I am fairly content with no more jokes. Family is family and I know I need to tell them sometime.

Good luck in your situation, I'm sure after the initial anxiety it will get better and you will feel more confident after. Enjoy the new year! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I remember when Caitlyn Jenner came out my dad made some very negative remarks. When I finally figured out who I was two years ago, I remembered those remarks. Although I thought my mom would accept me, I was all but certain my dad would never want to see me again (my parents are in their mid-80's). I literally live 1000 miles away from my relatives. I went full-time on 16 Feb 2018, and I did not tell them until the first week of March. I drove down to see them, and while there had my sister-in-law give my parents a letter explaining the situation. Even my sister-in-law did not think it would go well. After my parents read the letter they asked me to come for a visit. The first words I remember hearing from my dad were 'I Like your boots!' It took them several months, but now they get my name and gender right all of the time. One of the Christmas gifts from my parents was an acrylic necklace with an inscription, the first word was 'Daughter'. It still brings tears to my eyes when I look at it.

Although it may be painful, it is a necessary step most of us will take somewhere along our journey. Despite their past behavior, it is possible that your family will accept you. We can't live our lives according to the desires of others. I like the way Sara Bareilles says this in her song 'King of Anything':

"All my life I've tried to make everyone happy, while I just hurt and hide waiting for someone to tell me it's my turn to decide."

It is your turn to decide. I wish you the best of luck. Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Roxanne90

Sorry to bring this up after so much time. My situation is really similar, however I don't have any other relative who transitioned. Knowing my family, I can imagine what a hard time I will go through when I finally come out.

Actually, because I know that they will never accept this, even if becoming a girl would make me really feel myself, I've always imagined me going to live abroad and start transitioning without they really knowing. I would never get to see them again, but I could make it happen not because they decided to. Or else, another recurrent thought is that I somehow succeed in faking my death so I'll be free to become the real me.

Anyway, I think you're totally right and you made a great choice. I hope I will have the same strenght, without the need of thinking about the worst things. I wish you the best of luck. :)
  •