Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Things you do no longer use or buy now

Started by ChrissyRyan, December 28, 2018, 07:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

There are things that have become functionally obsolete because of "improved" technology or perhaps lower cost alternatives.  Some of these things might still be used, but not by large number of people in the modern world.  Perhaps some of these things you have never seen and just heard about from others.

What are some examples of things that maybe you have used or bought but no longer use?

Please feel free to post more than once as ideas may pop into your head later!

Here are a few items:

.VHS video tape recorders and players

.Full gallons of milk sold in paper containers in the USA (half gallons of milk sold in paper seem common)

.Typewriters

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Linde

Manual can openers!

Manually opening a jar (B&D has a  wonderful little machine or this)
Cassette recorders and players
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Devlyn

•  

KathyLauren

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Dietlind on December 28, 2018, 10:42:21 AM
Manual can openers!

Manually opening a jar (B&D has a  wonderful little machine or this)
Cassette recorders and players

I'll never give up my P-38! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Devlyn on December 28, 2018, 02:22:24 PM
I'll never give up my P-38! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener
I would starve to death if I would have to get to my food with such a thing!  I'd rather would cut the top off with an angle grinder!

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Dietlind on December 28, 2018, 05:54:06 PM
I would starve to death if I would have to get to my food with such a thing!  I'd rather would cut the top off with an angle grinder!

Linde,

The P-38 works rather well and is easy to use.  You can put it on a key chain too!
It is compact and efficient.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Linde

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on December 28, 2018, 05:58:13 PM

Linde,

The P-38 works rather well and is easy to use.  You can put it on a key chain too!
It is compact and efficient.

Chrissy
I know how to use an angle grinder very well, and I don't need to carry it around, bcause I am at home when I want to open food cans!

I tried to operate this thingy you call P-38, and the only thing I achieved was spilled food all over the place, but I was still hungry!

The good Lord gaved us electric can openers, and I do not want to disappoint him  by not to use his gift!

•  

HappyMoni

TV antennas and Spiro, in that order. Jock strap lol  My old clothes.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Nina

We moved off-grid, so pretty much every major convenience is gone:
Microwave
Toilet (we have a compost toilet and an outhouse)
Hair dryer
Slow cooker (I can easily do most slow cooker meals on woodstove)
Washer and dryer
Iron
Vacuum cleaner
Coffee maker

That's just a few off the top of my head
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

JudiBlueEyes

But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Oh man, there are SO many things I no longer use but have used in the past!

VHS tapes  But I still own quite a few.  The VHS player is currently in the basement gathering dust.
CDs and cassette tapes  I no longer have a CD player nor a cassette tape player, but I kept my CDs and tapes.
Phone books  Both the White pages and yellow pages.  When  get them now I simply recycle them immediately.
Physical Datebooks  But my boyfriend, who's into fountain pens, got me one this Yule to use with my fountain pens.  I'm only using it because of that reason.  I hope he doesn't get me one next year, I MUCH prefer my calendar app!
Phones with cords  No more tangled cords!
Photo albums  My pics are either on my laptop, my phone or the Samsung cloud.
TVs with dials  Remote controls are a wonderful invention!
Stereo speakers  I have a powerbar for sound.
Water filtering pitcher  Our refrigerator has a built-in water filter. 
Physical money  I use my credit/debit card for 99% of everything, including bills.
Brick and mortar banks  I pay my bills online.

:o WOW, that's some list, and I know that's not everything, just what I could think of off the top of my head.  I'm sure I'll think of more things later on.

Oh, one more thing.  Estrogen.  Not only am I FTM, I'm postmenopausal, so even before I started transitioning over two years ago, I didn't need it.

Ryuichi

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Dietlind on December 28, 2018, 06:08:26 PM
I know how to use an angle grinder very well, and I don't need to carry it around, bcause I am at home when I want to open food cans!

I tried to operate this thingy you call P-38, and the only thing I achieved was spilled food all over the place, but I was still hungry!

The good Lord gaved us electric can openers, and I do not want to disappoint him  by not to use his gift!

:laugh:.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

•  

Jessica_Rose

Men's clothing - Donated all of mine months ago.
Wired computer mouse - wireless ones are so much nicer!
Incandescent light bulbs - LED bulbs are much more efficient.
Camera Film - I don't think I have used film since buying my first digital camera in 1998.
Vinyl records - My daughter loves them, but I got tired of the scratches an pops decades ago.

Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

DawnOday

Bike jock strap.  George, steel roller skates, tighty whities.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

RetroTS

I honestly wondered if this would ever come up ;-) Unfortunately, i still buy and use the following....

1. A functional 8-track player, with a large collection of tapes. I think it's still rather cool after all of these years.
2. A black and white television that contains vacuum tubes. It's very fun to watch old shows on.
3. Wood soled clogs (clomp clomp clomp) because i think they look seriously cute with jeans
4. Bell Bottom jeans (probably didn't see that one coming)
5. i have a functional 5 1/4" floppy drive. Windows 10 wants nothing to do with it
6. I recently purchased a copy of Windows 3.11
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: DawnOday on December 29, 2018, 07:12:48 PM
Bike jock strap.  George, steel roller skates, tighty whities.

I know what the other things are, but what's a "George?"

Oh, and to keep things on track, urethane-wheeled roller skates.  I have a pair in the basement...somewhere, but my kid gave me their rollerblades.

And now I wouldn't rollerblade on a bet!  ;D

Ryuichi

•  

ChrissyRyan

CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors and televisions

•  

ChrissyRyan

•