Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles

Started by Northern Star Girl, December 30, 2018, 04:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritneyX

Quote from: Lisa89125 on January 03, 2019, 08:01:32 PM
Britney, I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I will admit, I have been a UPRR fan since age 6. I love the biggest and best steam locomotives which belong to the UPRR. I also fell in love with the UP turbines and centennial diesels. While those relic's belong to the past. UP does maintain a very nice heritage program and will soon have an operational Big Boy steam locomotive. UP is my dream career and I hope someday to work for them.

Lisa
Thanks for the sentiments.  Yes, I also love the UP's heritage collection.  Northfolk Southern used to be into the heritage collection back in the day.  Not sure about it now as the man that managed it passed a while back.  My Family and I got the joy of the life time riding the Texas State Railroad's Military Special.  We got to ride in the replica of General Patton's rail car and got to stand right behind the tender.   We also road the train out of Williams, AZ into the Grand Canyon.  Quite a treat that you must experience. 

A little side to all of this rail fanning.  When I was about in the 2nd or 3rd Grade, we were in Dodge City, Kansas passing thru on vacation that Summer.  We were at the Boot Hill area where they do the Wild West Gunfight show.  That was neat and all, but I want to explore and pretend play on the steam loco they had on static display.  The cab had a little door to the narrow inspection walk along the boiler.  It had a sign that said to stay off.  While the gunfight show was going on, the person that had been standing watch over the locomotive teetered off to get a glimpse of the show.  So I decided that was my que to go walk along the boiler.  I got about a 3rd was up towards the leading trucks before I heard a ruckus and someone yelling, "Stop him!"  At first, I thought it was me they were yelling about.  Just as I got that "oh no, I'm in deep trouble" pucker, a guy about 19-20 years old came running from behind the tender, up the side of the train to a place where there was a washout under the fence.  He skedaddled under the fence, quick like, and jumped into a waiting car in the parking lot.  Before I had a chance to breathe a sigh of relief, here comes my Dad running full bore, with a gaggle of men chasing not far behind him.  The men were still yelling,  "Get him!".  So I thought they were chasing my Dad.  I did what any child would do when their Dad is being chased around a locomotive; I leapt off in an attempt to take out the guy closest to my Dad.  As I began my leap, my Dad abruptly stops and so do the men, all asking, "Where did he go?"  My attempt to arrest my leap ended in me just falling off.  Surprised the hell out of everybody.  It turns out that several young men had robbed the ticket office and used the gunfight show as cover.  The ticket office lady came out screaming as they were leaving.  2 of the 3 got caught in the crowd, with the 3rd one making it to the getaway car.  Had I been able to see the show, I would have seen the chase and understood what was happening.  The hold up bandit would have been dealing with a wild  Texas kid going crazy on the back of his head.   Ah, those tender sweet moments that we miss out of cause we weren't paying attention.  I had visions of grandeur of being paraded in front of the crowd as a hero and my picture in the paper.  Couldn't ask for a better vacation! 
"Out of all the attributes of humanity, the only one that matters most, is the one that cannot fail you.  That is Honesty. Without it, nothing else about your person will hold up." :angel:
  •  

Jenny1969

I thought I was the only foamer here!!!    I have a love of high speed rail.  I have traveled all over the US on AMTRAK and its ok for the views.....but the German ICE and French TGV really do it right. I want to ride the high speed train in Japan one day.   Talk is that they are building a high speed rail in Texas soon.

Also a nice ride is in Durango CO to Silverton Co......its a really really really slow ride but the views are awesome.
Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

BritneyX

Quote from: Jenny1969 on January 04, 2019, 04:42:14 AM
I thought I was the only foamer here!!!    I have a love of high speed rail.  I have traveled all over the US on AMTRAK and its ok for the views.....but the German ICE and French TGV really do it right. I want to ride the high speed train in Japan one day.   Talk is that they are building a high speed rail in Texas soon.

Also a nice ride is in Durango CO to Silverton Co......its a really really really slow ride but the views are awesome.
Girl, you ain't rode a train till you ride the sardine cans around Tokyo.  I saw a small framed woman literally fall asleep standing up.  It was so tight that it was impossible for her to even slouch down.  No wonder so many people in Japan become Godzilla chow!  :)  Come to think of it, I have never seen Godzilla eat anyone.  I almost had the chance to ride the bullet train there to go tour the Toyota factory where my two sweet cars are made but couldn't get my Shipmate to go, even if I paid for the trip.  Detachment Units were required to have a buddy system in country. 

They have been talking about high speed rail and a mega highway from Austin to Dallas since George Dub was Governor.  I will believe it when I see it.  I used to ride the TRE from the old Union Station in Fort Worth to Dallas Union Station to board the DART light rail.  Then I had to hop a bus just to get to the other side of the highway. Enjoyable trip.
"Out of all the attributes of humanity, the only one that matters most, is the one that cannot fail you.  That is Honesty. Without it, nothing else about your person will hold up." :angel:
  •  

Karen

Congrats Danielle on your trip home.  Your positive outlook and ways always inspires me.   A trip like that takes courage and resilience.   

I love the outing with the nieces and friends.  It's not the first and won't be the last that we find great acceptance from the next genderation. 

Thanks for sharing your life with us

Hugs

Karen
Karen

* felt different like I did not fit, with strong feminine feelings and gender questions my entire life
* Sept 2016 - January 2017 real began to seriously question and research gender
* August 2017 friend explains transgender and gender vs sexual orientation, and immediately felt shock and begin to believe I maybe transgender
* March 2018 after 3 therapists, accepts I am transgender and am transitioning
* July 18, 2018 began HRT
* Feb 4, 2019 began Estrogen
  •  

sarah1972

I do a lot of Acela and Amtrak service between Washington and New York. I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that the ride is so uncomfortable compared to the German ICE or the TGV which I also rode a lot. The only plus on Amtrak is the free WiFi and power on every seat. The ICE provides such a smooth ride even at 200 mph.

•  

BrianaJ

I used to ride the commuter train to work every day.  While I enjoyed sitting back and riding, sometimes the ride was so rough you had to pick you teeth and other pieces and parts off the floor. 

Hope you had a safe trip back Danielle.  Flying with stops and plane changes can be very nerve-wracking.  I always worry about missing connecting flights etc.  It's only happened once but ugh what an experience. 
~~Be kind~~
  •  

steph2.0

Trains!!

When I was a kid I had a couple different layouts, O-27 and HO. I think my dad enjoyed them more than I did. I still have my Lionel stuff stashed away.

As for the real thing, I've ridden the trains from Windsor to Toronto, from Ann Arbor to Chicago, the Algoma Central "Snow Train," and from San Francisco to LA. That one was by far the best, through Big Sur and the Tehachapi Pass. Sitting in those sideways couches on the second level with those picture windows, watching the tail of the train follow us around the circle, was a surreal and very cool experience.

I used to ride an excursion train that went from Port Huron, Michigan, to Three Rivers, Indiana every fall. The Port Huron Historic Railroad Society would bring in a steamer once year to pull the antique cars. You had your choice of air conditioned or open-window cars. Open window was the best, because you could shout and wave at the crowds gathered at every grade crossing - until you got a cinder in your eye. One year they brought in a beautiful Streamliner, but by far the best was when they had a Big Boy. The first car behind the tender was the sound car, and you'd better not make any noise that would interfere with the enthusiast's recordings! Halfway there we'd stop for coaling and watering. We'd all disembark, they'd back the train up about a mile, then do a high-speed run with the whistle going. Feeling the heat and the ground shaking as it roared by made the hair stand up on your head. And heaven help those who made any noise while the sound folks had their stereo recording equipment running!

Without pressurized grease guns they'd put the grease (which was hard as a rock) into a tool with long long handles, stick them on the huge grease zerks on the drivers and connecting rods, and squeeeeze. When it let go it was like a gun going off.

One year when attending a fall Apple Butter festival in central Ohio, I was standing off the the side, drooling, while a little switcher engine pulled in from a one or two mile excursion run for the attendees. The engineer yelled down, asking if I'd like to ride in the engine for the next run. OMG!! The view from the cab was something I'd never expected to see as we hurtled down the rails at a blistering 10MPH!

Just a month ago I rode the high speed train from Madrid, through Córdoba, and down to Málaga, Spain. Amazingly, at 190MPH it was smoother than the 60MPH trains I've ridden here.

What a shame we can't do that kind of thing here. Riding the RER and Metro in France, and to a lesser extent, the subways in Washington DC and New York, make me wish we had a better public transportation system here. I was thrilled when they were talking about putting in high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando, but of course, that never came to be.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Northern Star Girl

I'm STUCK !!!!
Happy to be heading home after my week long family visit, however......
I missed my first plane connection because of weather delays... my flight got in late and the connecting flight already left...  waited for hours for the next plane last night, more flight delays, now I am stuck again at the next connection and plane change... I think I will be able to get on the next flight soon.... hoping to get home sometime this morning or early afternoon.  It was a long afternoon and evening and so far the morning is going slowly as well... 

NOTE:  Perhaps I should have taken the train???
    By the way, I am enjoying all the posts and comments about trains and slow rail services and super-fast rail service.   Please feel very free to continue on.

Hugs and well wishes.....   
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Oh joy, tis the season for delays and being stranded I'm afraid.  (Unless you're stuck at OHare, in which case it's ALWAYS that season  :D )

Are you at least stuck in a decent airport?
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on January 04, 2019, 10:04:45 AM
Oh joy, tis the season for delays and being stranded I'm afraid.  (Unless you're stuck at OHare, in which case it's ALWAYS that season  :D )

Are you at least stuck in a decent airport?

@Colleen_definitely:
Dear Colleen:
Yes indeed... I was first stuck at OHare last night and after a long flight I then I got stuck in Anchorage, Alaska...  this morning I am on my next and last leg now....  home, here I come.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 04, 2019, 10:26:31 AM
@Colleen_definitely:
Dear Colleen:
Yes indeed... I was first stuck at OHare last night and after a long flight I then I got stuck in Anchorage, Alaska...  this morning I am on my next and last leg now....  home, here I come.
Hugs,
Danielle

You can't take the train from Anchorage going north, better get a seat in a two person Cessna to make that final leg.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

davina61

Reminds me off the time our connecting flight from Orlando landed in Miami the same time we were meant to take off. American airways strike was the problem (82 or 83?) we had to RUN with luggage (how long are those corridors ?) for miles to get to BA flight that was on hold till we got there. Hope you get to warm your totsies  by your fire soon.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Jessica

The closest I'd gotten to missing a flight was when an unscheduled stop to the Azores was added to a flight from Lisbon to Boston.  We had only a half hour to make the connection.  After thankfully being whisked through customs, waiting for a tram that took us 7 terminals away, rushing to check in, scared that TSA check would take forever.... all the cards lined up for us to make the flight 5 minutes before departure.  Lucky for us we had only carry on, yes carry on.  We were getting home from a 5 week trip in Europe with just carry on.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 04, 2019, 10:26:31 AM
@Colleen_definitely:
Dear Colleen:
Hugs,
Danielle

Wow, the weather certainly seems to have it out for you on this one.  Hopefully it won't be much longer.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

steph2.0

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KathyLauren

Danielle, I just got caught up on your trip to visit family.  I am glad that you had some successes.  Perhaps the less-than-successful people will come around eventually.  At least they got to meet the lovable person that you are.

I have had the missed-connection blues, too.  Flying into Chicago O'Hare, I had one hour to change planes.  But, because of a severe thunderstorm, we held for nearly an hour and then had to divert to Detroit.  The airline put us up overnight in Detroit, then flew us back to Chicago a day late.  I had hopes of making the same connecting flight that day, but, as we taxied in to the terminal, I could see my connecting flight taxiing out for takeoff.  They were all set to delay me a second day to catch the flight the next day, but, being already 24 hours late getting home, I insisted that they find me a flight that would get me home that night, no matter what route it took or what airline it was on.  They got me on a competitor's flight, and I was home before midnight.

I hope you are snug in your home with your feet propped up in front of the fire soon.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Lisa89125

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 04, 2019, 09:03:48 AM
Trains!!

When I was a kid I had a couple different layouts, O-27 and HO. I think my dad enjoyed them more than I did. I still have my Lionel stuff stashed away.

As for the real thing, I've ridden the trains from Windsor to Toronto, from Ann Arbor to Chicago, the Algoma Central "Snow Train," and from San Francisco to LA. That one was by far the best, through Big Sur and the Tehachapi Pass. Sitting in those sideways couches on the second level with those picture windows, watching the tail of the train follow us around the circle, was a surreal and very cool experience.

I used to ride an excursion train that went from Port Huron, Michigan, to Three Rivers, Indiana every fall. The Port Huron Historic Railroad Society would bring in a steamer once year to pull the antique cars. You had your choice of air conditioned or open-window cars. Open window was the best, because you could shout and wave at the crowds gathered at every grade crossing - until you got a cinder in your eye. One year they brought in a beautiful Streamliner, but by far the best was when they had a Big Boy. The first car behind the tender was the sound car, and you'd better not make any noise that would interfere with the enthusiast's recordings! Halfway there we'd stop for coaling and watering. We'd all disembark, they'd back the train up about a mile, then do a high-speed run with the whistle going. Feeling the heat and the ground shaking as it roared by made the hair stand up on your head. And heaven help those who made any noise while the sound folks had their stereo recording equipment running!

Without pressurized grease guns they'd put the grease (which was hard as a rock) into a tool with long long handles, stick them on the huge grease zerks on the drivers and connecting rods, and squeeeeze. When it let go it was like a gun going off.

One year when attending a fall Apple Butter festival in central Ohio, I was standing off the the side, drooling, while a little switcher engine pulled in from a one or two mile excursion run for the attendees. The engineer yelled down, asking if I'd like to ride in the engine for the next run. OMG!! The view from the cab was something I'd never expected to see as we hurtled down the rails at a blistering 10MPH!

Just a month ago I rode the high speed train from Madrid, through Córdoba, and down to Málaga, Spain. Amazingly, at 190MPH it was smoother than the 60MPH trains I've ridden here.

What a shame we can't do that kind of thing here. Riding the RER and Metro in France, and to a lesser extent, the subways in Washington DC and New York, make me wish we had a better public transportation system here. I was thrilled when they were talking about putting in high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando, but of course, that never came to be.

Stephanie

Hmm, Only Union Pacific had Big boys and none of them have run since the 1950's. Union Pacific has run a challenger type steam locomotive 3985 since 1981 in excursion service. The Big Boy actually takes it's design from these later model challenger types. 3985 is down for a major rebuild that is supposed to start once UPRR 4014 is complete this year.

Acela is a rough ride and the trains have been plagued with problems ever since they interred into service. The trucks or bogies also suffered from cracking fairly recently. Amtrak would have been better off going with a proven design like the ICE or Swedish X2000 they tested while designing the Acela. I like the Eurostar train but understand the class 373 sets are being slowly phased out. A shame! I wanted to ride the original Class 373 sets which are the longest bullet trains in the world.

When I was a wee little kid we did two trips to Steam Town in PA. We spent the whole day each time looking at all the relics. Rode the CNR steam locomotive pulling the excursions. I just wish they would take better care of what they have and do some much needed sand blasting and painting of the locos and cars.

Danielle, I'm sorry if we hijacked your thread. There is nothing worse than a group of foamers!

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

Susan Baum

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 04, 2019, 09:40:36 AM
I'm STUCK !!!!
Happy to be heading home after my week long family visit, however......
NOTE:  Perhaps I should have taken the train???[/b][/color]    By the way, I am enjoying all the posts and comments about trains and slow rail services and super-fast rail service.   Please feel very free to continue on.

Hugs and well wishes.....   
Danielle

There is a saying among General Aviation pilots: Time to spare? Go by air.

Another great narrow gauge steamer ride is the run from Chama, New Mexico to Antonito, Colorado on the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad. Want cinders? They make the run with flatbed car that's available to all. The fare includes a lunch buffet that's better than most for similar attractions. 

Hugs to all
Susan
(Edited to fix typogooficul errirz)
Aging is inevitable - growing up is optional.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Lisa89125 on January 04, 2019, 02:27:51 PM
Hmm, Only Union Pacific had Big boys and none of them have run since the 1950's.

Okay, I defer to the expert! I'd refer to my pictures of that day, but they're on slides in a box somewhere. I just remember it was huge and articulated and seemed as big as the one in the Henry Ford Museum. I can't even remember if it was a x-8-8-x or an x-6-6-x. I'm sure you've got a better idea which one it could have been than I do. I'm guessing I rode it some time in the early 90's.

Stephanie

•  

Jenny1969

Hope you made it home already!!!!   Now go take a nap
Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•