News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles

Started by Northern Star Girl, December 30, 2018, 04:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa89125

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 04, 2019, 03:10:51 PM
Okay, I defer to the expert! I'd refer to my pictures of that day, but they're on slides in a box somewhere. I just remember it was huge and articulated and seemed as big as the one in the Henry Ford Museum. I can't even remember if it was a x-8-8-x or an x-6-6-x. I'm sure you've got a better idea which one it could have been than I do. I'm guessing I rode it some time in the early 90's.

Stephanie

Stephanie, You rode on the challenger type 4-6-6-4. The interesting thing about that loco is when it was restored in 1981, it never really got the major rebuild it should have. They did convert the loco to burn oil in the early 1990's, using parts off of the only other challenger 3977. Which is on permanent display. For years they just patched it up and kept it running. It's no wonder Steve Lee then the head of the steam shop said it rode like a log truck. Having been built in the 1940's and running millions of miles it was time for a complete overhaul back in the 1990's.

It's well worth watching the updates UPRR puts out about the Big Boy restoration. This kind of work is what the challenger badly needs and will finally get in the not too distant future.

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

Donica

Aren't the railways still messed up from the earthquake? I'd just wait for the next flight. Maybe you can get a refund Danielle?
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

BritneyX

"Out of all the attributes of humanity, the only one that matters most, is the one that cannot fail you.  That is Honesty. Without it, nothing else about your person will hold up." :angel:
  •  

BritneyX

Quote from: Lisa89125 on January 04, 2019, 03:36:56 PM
Stephanie, You rode on the challenger type 4-6-6-4. The interesting thing about that loco is when it was restored in 1981 it never really got the major rebuild it should have. They did convert the loco to burn oil in the early 1990's using parts off of the only other challenger 3977 which is on permanent display. For years they just patched it up and kept it running. It's no wonder Steve Lee then the head of the steam shop said it rode like a log truck. Having been built in the 1940's and running millions of miles it was time for a complete overhaul back in the 1990's.

It's well worth watching the updates UPRR puts out about the Big Boy restoration. This kind of work is what the challenger badly needs and will finally get in the not too distant future.

Lisa

Don't worry..  Every girl needs her daily dose of iron, steel and steam!!!!
I am so excited about the Big Boy resto.  Before they moved 4014, the 4018 at the Texas State Fair was moved along the rails to the Museum of the American Railroad in nearby Frisco, Texas.  I was not able to see the move in person, but the video had me hoop'n and a holler'n.  The hairs on the back of my neck were standing.  It is just so amazing how the locomotives were engineered and built.  Their designs have not changed, all that much since the turn of the 20th Century.   I wish that they would build an update design steam locomotive with modern technology.  They could make it so much superior to the best that the steam era had that it would give the diesels a run for the money.  May not be applicable on most American roads, but in areas of the world that don't have easy access to diesel fuel, it would be a much better alternative. Imagine Africa having rail service to connect the nations and bring about an African EU.  That would alleviate a lot of problems there (few highways) and the mass immigration (legal/illegal) that is overtaxing many EU countries. 
"Out of all the attributes of humanity, the only one that matters most, is the one that cannot fail you.  That is Honesty. Without it, nothing else about your person will hold up." :angel:
  •  

Northern Star Girl

UPDATE... Friday afternoon....  January 04, 2019

I finally made it home about an hour ago....  I immediately changed into my sweats, turned on my fireplace, and sat down in my comfy recliner chair.  It is just 4:15 PM here now so I am soon getting out of my chair, and will get the table set for dinner...
My Tooth Fairy told me that she is bringing dinner tonight for us to eat together....  I do miss her a lot... it has been over a week since we have seen each other...  [emoji173]   I am planning a nice evening with her.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 04, 2019, 07:26:29 PM

I finally made it home about an hour ago....  I immediately changed into my sweats, turned on my fireplace, and sad down in my comfy recliner chair.  It is just 4:15 PM here now so I am soon getting out of my chair, and will get the table set for dinner...
My Tooth Fairy told me that she is bringing dinner tonight for us to eat together....  I do miss her a lot... it has been over a week since we have seen each other...  [emoji173]   I am planning a nice evening with her.
Hugs,
Danielle

Have a great time together tonight Danielle!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

BritneyX

I finally made it home about an hour ago....  I immediately changed into my sweats, turned on my fireplace, and sat down in my comfy recliner chair.  It is just 4:15 PM here now so I am soon getting out of my chair, and will get the table set for dinner...
Hugs,
Danielle

Glad to hear that all is well and fabulous in the Land of the snow and ice.  Sounds like Suitor #1 is no the back burner?
  •  

sarah1972

I am so sorry to hear about your travel troubles. Nothing worse than looking forward to being home and then getting stuck on the way.

How sweet of your Tooth Fairy to have prepared a nice meal for you. I hope you will have a wonderful evening.

I had my fair share of getting stuck in transit. I once missed my wife's birthday being stuck in (I don't even know anymore) and also had a emergency landing due to equipment malfunction delaying travels and a few more incidents where my arrival was delayed by hours or up to two days.

The more you travel, the more likely it is to happen.

Lucky Amtrak has never caused an overnight delay, the worst was 6 hours (on a 3 hour ride)

I am just glad to hear you are home safely and I am sure you have a lot to process. Relax and enjoy a wonderful evening!

Hugs,

Sarah

I finally made it home about an hour ago....  I immediately changed into my sweats, turned on my fireplace, and sad down in my comfy recliner chair.  It is just 4:15 PM here now so I am soon getting out of my chair, and will get the table set for dinner...
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: BritneyX on January 04, 2019, 08:04:36 PM
Glad to hear that all is well and fabulous in the Land of the snow and ice.  Sounds like Suitor #1 is no the back burner?

@BritneyX
Thank you for sharing your thoughts... and yes indeed, it is good to be home... no place like home...
It was a very long trip traveling home from my week long visit with family... caught first plane yesterday Thursday afternoon and delayed for hours in the evening...missed flights and connections again and again delayed today Friday morning till early afternoon when my last plane landed.   Almost 24 hours of travel, delays, having too much coffee, and finding internet and power plugs at the airports.

I missed both connections, planes were very late or cancelled, etc, etc....  bad weather and closed airports were most of the blame...

Regarding suitors, you might have missed some of the details in my previous "Hunted Prey" thread...  I have had 5 suitors of notable mention and a few more additional suitors of probable mutual interest.
I will recap for you:

Male Suitor #1  ... met at the coffee shop... we dated and he was high on my list but not any longer for speaking bad about me for being a trans-woman with his new girlfriend.
Male Suitor #2 Creepy Gym Guy... end of story
Male Suitor #3 Shy Guy, he is still on my list, he is a nice guy and not so shy anymore.
Female Suitor #4 my Dental Hygienist....   she is a sweetheart and my main flame.
Female Suitor #5 my Barista at the next door coffee shop.  She is not only a suitor but a wonderful friend.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Hugs,
Danielle

•  

Jessica

@Alaskan Danielle 

My Tooth Fairy told me that she is bringing dinner tonight for us to eat together....  I do miss her a lot... it has been over a week since we have seen each other... [emoji173]   I am planning a nice evening with her.
Hugs,
Danielle

This made me happy that you've found someone to care for and hold in your arms 💕💕💕

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Jenny1969

Glad you made it home.  Hope dinner and desert goes well too  ;)   We are all standing by for details.....

LOL
Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

Jenny1969

Good morning Danielle 

Wakey Wakey!!   Get a move on!!!!!  You have lots to do today!!!!!

;D
Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

Donica

Welcome home Danielle! I hope you and your Tooth Fairy had a wonderful dinner and reunion last night. It's wonderful to share time with loved ones. My girlfriend "A" and I shared cake last night. It was wonderful to spend time with her again.

FYI: German CHOCOLATE cake! Yum!

Hugs,
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Donica on January 05, 2019, 12:57:30 PM
Welcome home Danielle! I hope you and your Tooth Fairy had a wonderful dinner and reunion last night. It's wonderful to share time with loved ones. My girlfriend "A" and I shared cake last night. It was wonderful to spend time with her again.

Hugs,
Donica.

It is wonderful isn't it!  My sweeties birthday was yesterday.  I made her a carrot cake (her fav) and had some last night with her after a fun, family night out at a local Italian restaurant.
We both were giggling together (we both had a few beers since our son was driving).

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

BritneyX

Quote from: sarah1972 on January 04, 2019, 08:25:36 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your travel troubles. Nothing worse than looking forward to being home and then getting stuck on the way.

How sweet of your Tooth Fairy to have prepared a nice meal for you. I hope you will have a wonderful evening.

I had my fair share of getting stuck in transit. I once missed my wife's birthday being stuck in (I don't even know anymore) and also had a emergency landing due to equipment malfunction delaying travels and a few more incidents where my arrival was delayed by hours or up to two days.

The more you travel, the more likely it is to happen.

Lucky Amtrak has never caused an overnight delay, the worst was 6 hours (on a 3 hour ride)

I am just glad to hear you are home safely and I am sure you have a lot to process. Relax and enjoy a wonderful evening!

Hugs,

Sarah
I was a Naval C-130T Loadmaster.  We got stuck for a gauge problem in Germany and we had 6 days of driving around Europe awaiting the part.  May I suggest the Mosel River valley (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer) for a wonderful wine and castle tour to our Family here on Susan's.  It is breath taking.

Now, the last time we got stuck was for the same persnickety HSI gauge.  This was on the Isle of Sal in the Cape Verde chain of the coast of West Africa.  We were there a little over 2 weeks awaiting the part.  Although it was pleasant weather and beautiful beaches at the all inclusive British hotel, it was on this mission, at this very place, that my Service Related Injury occurred.  I so enjoy the lifetime of "memories" that I have to live with now.
  •  

BritneyX

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 04, 2019, 10:27:34 PM
@BritneyX
Thank you for sharing your thoughts... and yes indeed, it is good to be home... no place like home...
It was a very long trip traveling home from my week long visit with family... caught first plane yesterday Thursday afternoon and delayed for hours in the evening...missed flights and connections again and again delayed today Friday morning till early afternoon when my last plane landed.   Almost 24 hours of travel, delays, having too much coffee, and finding internet and power plugs at the airports.

I missed both connections, planes were very late or cancelled, etc, etc....  bad weather and closed airports were most of the blame...

Regarding suitors, you might have missed some of the details in my previous "Hunted Prey" thread...  I have had 5 suitors of notable mention and a few more additional suitors of probable mutual interest.
I will recap for you:

Male Suitor #1  ... met at the coffee shop... we dated and he was high on my list but not any longer for speaking bad about me for being a trans-woman with his new girlfriend.
Male Suitor #2 Creepy Gym Guy... end of story
Male Suitor #3 Shy Guy, he is still on my list, he is a nice guy and not so shy anymore.
Female Suitor #4 my Dental Hygienist....   she is a sweetheart and my main flame.
Female Suitor #5 my Barista at the next door coffee shop.  She is not only a suitor but a wonderful friend.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Hugs,
Danielle

I don't even own a suit!  I'm jealous.  ;D  The duality of your suitor pool has me wondering who I will be attracted to, now that my likes and tastes are evolving with my transition.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Jessica on January 05, 2019, 01:20:28 PM
It is wonderful isn't it!  My sweeties birthday was yesterday.  I made her a carrot cake (her fav) and had some last night with her after a fun, family night out at a local Italian restaurant.
We both were giggling together (we both had a few beers since our son was driving).

@Jessica
Dear Jess...
Your Carrot Cake birthday cake that you made for your wife looks wonderful... I am sure that it tastes as good as it looks...  It sounds like you had a very nice time and family dinner night out.  From the what I read in your posting, I am glad that your son was the designated driver.

Thank you for sharing and posting.
Hugs and hugs,
Danielle

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Donica on January 05, 2019, 12:57:30 PM

Hugs,
Donica.

@Donica
Dear Donica:
Yes indeed, my Tooth Fairy made me a wonderful dinner and we enjoyed sitting in front of my fireplace, talking, sipping wine, more talking... and just being close and sitting there and not saying anything, just enjoying the moment.

Ahhhhh, German Chocolate Cake .... mmm, mmm, good.   I always like to get a slice of it with lots of frosting.   
What? No Picture???   You know the rules here, "no picture...or it didn't happen!"

Thank you for sharing and posting.
Lots of Hugs,
Danielle

•  

BritneyX

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 07, 2019, 05:01:01 PM
@Donica

What? No Picture???   You know the rules here, "no picture...or it didn't happen!
Danielle
Danielle, you know that a picture will add 10 lbs.!   :o
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: BritneyX on January 07, 2019, 05:13:27 PM
Danielle, you know that a picture will add 10 lbs.!   :o
@BritneyX
Yes, for sure... Cameras and Mirrors can be the worst enemy of anyone in the middle of transitioning... we tend to be our own worst critics.

Thanks for checking in on my thread and sharing your thoughts!!!
Danielle

•