Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

An unlikely advocate: conservative Baptist Pastor from Texas

Started by BlueJaye, January 02, 2019, 10:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueJaye

My wife and I would both be best described as evangelical fundamentalist Christians. Probably a bit unusual for this forum, but hey, gender dysphoria and being born with this condition does not play favorites. Anyway, it has been a bit difficult since I came out finding articles and information to share with my wife that aren't written by people who have vastly different views than we do. My wife is the type who ONLY wants to hear from other Christians on important matters. Not so much me, I mostly want to make sure that the person I am listening to is a true subject matter expert.

We have both been sharing with each other links and articles that we find online regarding gender dysphoria and being transgender. Some of the stuff my wife has found has been truly awful. The very first thing she shared with me was a link from Focus on the Family going to Walt Heyer's page. If you're not familiar with Walt Heyer, he is a cis-gender man who never suffered from gender dysphoria and was not transgender. He had multiple personalities, a female one of which became dominant, and he managed to convince a surgeon to perform surgery all while somehow bypassing much of the standards of care that are in place to prevent such things from happening. Long story short, he lived as a woman for several years, came to realize he wasn't a woman and was wrongly diagnosed and is now on a crusade to save people from being transgender and prevent people from transitioning.

Some of the other stuff has been neutral at best; saying things like transgender people should be recognized but not supported. Or the many "deliverance' and "conversion therapy" ministries. One of them that she shared with me was a support group that at first glance seemed okay, until I started reading the testimonials on their website. Everyone of them was about how they were set free from being transgender. Not one of them made any mention of suffering from gender dysphoria, all of them made mention of things like wanting to be the other gender or hating certain characteristics of their gender and deciding to just switch genders. There was a lady on there who tried to live as a man because she had a profound fixation on urinating in urinals and wasn't happy having to sit down to pee. She was "delivered" from being transgender according to this site.

Anyway, I have been on the hunt for material from Christian sources that I can see eye to eye with on theologically, and came across this guy: Mark Wingfield (https://baptistnews.com/article/why-being-transgender-is-not-a-sin/#.XCzjhVxKhPY). I also watched his Tedx talk and read some of his other writings on the subject. If you have conservative Christian friends or relatives, I would recommend sharing this with them. This guy seems like a genuine ally of the transgender community and those who suffer from gender dysphoria. He is one of the only conservative Christians I have found so far who is willing to look at the clinical and medical side of the issue.
  •  

anne_indy

Hi Blue Jaye - The video by Wingfield is a very supportive one.

I would also recommend a book by Mark Yarhouse - Understanding Gender Dysphoria: Navigating Transgender Issues in a Changing Culture (published by Intervarsity Press - a trusted publisher in evangelical circles). Yarhouse is a professor at Regent University in Virginia). In the book he provides 3 approaches within the church to addressing gender dysphoria. It is the most objective writing that I have encountered coming from the evangelical perspective.

For a more personal perspective and evolution, you might find the blog of Paula Williams interesting. If you search "Paula Stone Williams" on google, you will find her web page and a Ted talk by her.

Hope this is helpful.
Anne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

BlueJaye

Quote from: anne_indy on January 07, 2019, 11:20:52 AM
Hi Blue Jaye - The video by Wingfield is a very supportive one.

I would also recommend a book by Mark Yarhouse - Understanding Gender Dysphoria: Navigating Transgender Issues in a Changing Culture (published by Intervarsity Press - a trusted publisher in evangelical circles). Yarhouse is a professor at Regent University in Virginia). In the book he provides 3 approaches within the church to addressing gender dysphoria. It is the most objective writing that I have encountered coming from the evangelical perspective.

For a more personal perspective and evolution, you might find the blog of Paula Williams interesting. If you search "Paula Stone Williams" on google, you will find her web page and a Ted talk by her.

Hope this is helpful.
Anne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for mentioning Mark Yarhouse. I have his book and have read it a couple of times. But for those who are not aware of him, I hope they will look him up.
  •