Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Does name change = new SSN = New Credit?

Started by Jenny1969, January 08, 2019, 02:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenny1969

It might be a long shot but when I change my name and official documents will I get a fresh new credit history?   This is really wishful thinking on my part.

Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

NatalieRene

You get a new social security card with your new name on it. The social security number does not change. You have to contact the credit agencies to let them know of the name change if you want to keep your good credit assuming it's good.
  •  

Jenny1969

Thank You    That's kinda what I expected.......Wouldn't it be great to get a fresh new start on  credit history?  I would do so many things differently!!!   LOL

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

Dena

Part of the name change process is indicating your not changing your name to evade any debts. On the other hand, most of the time they don't look any farther back in your credit history than 7 years so it's possible to clear your credit history over time.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Jenny1969 on January 08, 2019, 02:48:07 PM
It might be a long shot but when I change my name and official documents will I get a fresh new credit history?   This is really wishful thinking on my part.
No! Your credit history will not change.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

tgchar21

Your credit (whether good or bad) should stay with you. (Under normal circumstances your SSN will not change either.)

Something interesting I learned from an expat forum: If you moved to another country that will likely reset your credit for better or for worse (credit reports generally don't transfer internationally).
  •  

Linde

Quote from: tgchar21 on January 08, 2019, 06:48:23 PM
Your credit (whether good or bad) should stay with you. (Under normal circumstances your SSN will not change either.)

Something interesting I learned from an expat forum: If you moved to another country that will likely reset your credit for better or for worse (credit reports generally don't transfer internationally).

We lost our history after we lived for some years in Germany.  We had to start new after moving back to the US
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Chanteur

I did a full name change... First middle and last... And had my gender updated at same time with Social Security. However my SSN did not change.

While on my petition and order it clearly states I am not trying to avoid debts, and I am not...

Because of all the changes done at once... I did end up with 2 separate credit reports. I have kept my end of the order and changing things over as I discover them. And since my name was legally changed, I no longer use the old one so it will fade into oblivion one the 7 years is up.

But yes, I did (and still do technically) have 2 credit profiles. Working on consolidating them into 1 however.

•  

Jenny1969

Quote from: Chanteur on January 25, 2019, 12:09:37 AM
I did a full name change... First middle and last... And had my gender updated at same time with Social Security. However my SSN did not change.

While on my petition and order it clearly states I am not trying to avoid debts, and I am not...

Because of all the changes done at once... I did end up with 2 separate credit reports. I have kept my end of the order and changing things over as I discover them. And since my name was legally changed, I no longer use the old one so it will fade into oblivion one the 7 years is up.

But yes, I did (and still do technically) have 2 credit profiles. Working on consolidating them into 1 however.

That is good information......I guess changing all three names was the key part.

•