Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Morton's Neuroma and such issues

Started by Cindy, January 16, 2019, 12:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

Following radiotherapy and chemotherapy I was told that I could develop several unpleasant issues to do with peripheral neuropathy and the like.

Unfortunately I have developed Morton's Neuroma in both feet and those who have had the pleasure will be aware of the agony.

For those who have suffered what do you do that relieves the swelling and pain?

For those who don't know MN, it is a swelling of the nerve ganglia between the bones connecting the toes to the foot. It is described as 'having a pebble in your shoe' of more accurately as having a redhot poker stuck between the toes and kept there.

•  

SadieBlake

I've been in the habit of wearing old trainers as my primary shoes for ages and ages and I've had a really bad Morton's neuroma for about 4 years that's gotten progressively worse, happily it affects only my left foot.

what's made a remarkable difference basically seems to be closed and gone has been switching to wearing women's style flats I can even wear heels now and it's been fine. a podiatrist had prescribed a pad to be put onto my shoe pad right behind the spot where the neuroma is to take the pressure off of where the neuroma is and that seemed to have minimal effect if any.

Ymmv
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Cindy on January 16, 2019, 12:48:47 AM
Following radiotherapy and chemotherapy I was told that I could develop several unpleasant issues to do with peripheral neuropathy and the like.

Unfortunately I have developed Morton's Neuroma in both feet and those who have had the pleasure will be aware of the agony.

For those who have suffered what do you do that relieves the swelling and pain?

For those who don't know MN, it is a swelling of the nerve ganglia between the bones connecting the toes to the foot. It is described as 'having a pebble in your shoe' of more accurately as having a redhot poker stuck between the toes and kept there.

Cindy,

Oh my.  I hope this foot pain goes away.

I do not know what gets rid of the pain.  Walking may be less painful with gel inserts or orthotics in shoes.  This just deals with symptoms but can possibly provide some relief.

Is there a surgical correction for M.N.?  Yes, I know, none of us fancies surgeries. 

I wonder of there is an exercise that can be done to improve the related muscles?
Helping with symptoms is good, but getting rid of the problem gets rids of the symptoms too.

We will be thinking of you.   :)   I also thank you for your service here at Susan's.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Cindy

Thanks Sadie and Chrissy,

I'm using the gels pads and sometimes they help and other times they don't seem to do much. I'm being very careful with my foot wear and trying to keep width across the metatarsal area.

There is a surgery available to remove the ganglia but it appears that my damage is developing at the moment and medics seem to want it to settle down a bit before going for some options.

I've got painkillers but I hate using them unless I really have to and so limit their use to when trying to sleep.

I find it quite distracting to deal with and have difficulty concentrating.

•  

Dena

I don't know if this is useful but in our country we have pain clinics. They deal with all types of pain and while they have narcotics, the also have ways of dealing with some types of pain that don't involve drugs. It might be worth a try even if it only reduces some of the pain medication you require.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Linde

I don't know if that would help, but i had real bad pain in each of the base joints of my large toes, it was so bad that i hardly could walk anymore.  Everything know to medicine at that time (about 30 years or so ago) was tried, but noting took he pin away.  The final solution was to fuse those joints (it is a relative simple surgery), and I am now pain free for 30 years, and the fused joints do not negatively influence my walking a bit!
Again, I don't know if that would be a solution for your case.

I wish you all the best!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•