Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Only two pages of message lists

Started by AnneK, January 17, 2019, 09:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneK

Since the disk crash restore, I've noticed I only get two pages of message list.  My normal practice is to scan the list for topics I'm really interested in and leave the others for later, when I have more time.  However, with the short lists, those other topics disappear before I get around to reading them.  At the moment, the oldest thread is yesterday at 5:05 PM and it's now 10:29 AM.  That's barely 17.5 hours, from the oldest to newest message threads.  Can this be fixed?

tnx
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: AnneK on January 17, 2019, 09:31:38 AM
Since the disk crash restore, I've noticed I only get two pages of message list. 

Anne I'm no mod or expert but if you visit often when you click "Show unread posts" it means just that "since last visit" so if you come and go then you'll only see those new posts since last time 'logged on'. Unsure of time limit but know it's more than just a few minutes.

If you want to see stuff you missed on bottom right of topic list is "All UNREAD TOPICS" which will show you lists of everything unread since Susan's Day 1. Also, to cut down on server load, a good practice I use when browsing from Topic List is I always open things I want to see in a "new tab" so original search page loads are kept to a minimum.

Make Sense?
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

AnneK

QuoteAnne I'm no mod or expert but if you visit often when you click "Show unread posts" it means just that "since last visit" so if you come and go then you'll only see those new posts since last time logged on.

I have been on this board for a few years and this is not normal behaviour.  There used to be several pages of list, that would go back days.  The oldest thread bears absolutely no relationship to when I visit.  The list gets shortened periodically and is generally not a problem, but at Christmas, I found the oldest message was hours after my last visit, so I never even had a chance to read whatever was posted in the meantime.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

•  

Chloe

I'm using Chrome and, just refreshing Topic search, I get three pages with last one being "Yesterday at 11:30:07" (?) (which is last I logged off, time I pick up grandbaby from pre-school)

NOW, btw . . . gotta go!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

AnneK

It happened again.  The oldest message listed is only about 1.5 hours old, which is after the last time I was reading messages.  Any messages posted in between are not listed.  I understand the need to trim the list a bit, but why so short???  As I mentioned before, I often just skim the lists, looking for the topics I'm really interested in, leaving the rest for when I have more time.  How am I supposed to do that, when the list gets cut to after the last time I was reading the messages?  Please, stop cutting the list so short.  If there's not at least 48 hours of messages available, it's too short!  At the moment, there are only eight messages listed.

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: AnneK on February 20, 2019, 08:01:10 AM
It happened again.  The oldest message listed is only about 1.5 hours old, which is after the last time I was reading messages.  Any messages posted in between are not listed.  I understand the need to trim the list a bit, but why so short???  As I mentioned before, I often just skim the lists, looking for the topics I'm really interested in, leaving the rest for when I have more time.  How am I supposed to do that, when the list gets cut to after the last time I was reading the messages?  Please, stop cutting the list so short.  If there's not at least 48 hours of messages available, it's too short!  At the moment, there are only eight messages listed.

@AnneK
Dear Anne:
Please clarify for me....   in your thread here and specifically in your post comment quoted above....
... are you looking at Messages (personal messages)   
or  are you looking at which of the following for Postings (this is not the same as messages)
                                ???
      -  Recent Topics (threads/posts)
      -  Show unread posts since last visit
      -  Show new replies to your posts

I am sorry you are having difficulties...  please be patient while I try to specifically figure out what kinds of issues that you are experiencing.

Best wishes,
Danielle

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Kendra

Hi Anne,

Chloe's suggestion is correct - that's the way the software Susan's Place operates on is designed. 

The site shows more than two pages of lists under some conditions, but current settings are standard and there are no plans to modify the underlying software.

thanks,

Kendra
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

AnneK

Quote from: Kendra on February 20, 2019, 12:18:53 PM
Hi Anne,

Chloe's suggestion is correct - that's the way the software Susan's Place operates on is designed. 

The site shows more than two pages of lists under some conditions, but current settings are standard and there are no plans to modify the underlying software.

That's not the way it's been working for me. Right now, the posts that were listed earlier, other than those I've read, are still there.  Regardless, there have been two occasions where there has been a significant time between when I last read messages and the oldest available.  I normally leave a browser on this site and just refresh the page to get the latest.  There have been many times when I would have several pages of unread messages, over a few days.

•  

Dena

The show unread posts lists is something I looked into. I don't have administrator privileges however I learned that there is a setting to control how long the list can get. It seems to be set to allow several pages in the list. The got you is that there appears to be job that is run one or more times a day that completely clears the list. The job is run about 7 AM server time but may be run latter in the day.  Because of this, I have given up relying on the list to review older threads and pretty much work with the recent topics list. If I lose track of what I have done, sometimes I can figure it out off the unread list but I don't depend on it.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

AnneK

It happened again.  I read messages last night before going to bed and a few more before going to work this morning.  As I ran out of time, I did not read all I wanted, including one thread in particular.  I  just got home from work and went to read that thread but it's gone and the earliest post is now 2 hours after I went to bed.

Is it possible to please,  PLEASE stop cutting the list of unread messages so short.  I am often missing messages because they're gone before I get a chance to read them!!!

•  

Mariah

It is a long known issue that we are aware of. I know your not the only one who would like to see it allow us to see older messages. At this point their is nothing we can do about it. Thread locked
Mariah

Quote from: AnneK on March 06, 2019, 04:35:40 PM
It happened again.  I read messages last night before going to bed and a few more before going to work this morning.  As I ran out of time, I did not read all I wanted, including one thread in particular.  I  just got home from work and went to read that thread but it's gone and the earliest post is now 2 hours after I went to bed.

Is it possible to please,  PLEASE stop cutting the list of unread messages so short.  I am often missing messages because they're gone before I get a chance to read them!!!
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •