Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

For those who moved away to start a new life, how did things go?

Started by sarahc, January 19, 2019, 02:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarahc

This post is directed towards those who moved away to start a new life somewhere else, which is the path I am likely to take, as it will be too awkward for both me and my parents to transition where I live right now (see my post history for details...).

Anyway, I have a few questions for those who have chosen this path...I'm trying to get an understanding of realistically what this experience will be like:

1) How many months after starting HRT did you do this move? Were you passing well already when you moved?
2) Upon completing the move, did you immediately start getting involved in your new community after moving, or did you wait until you thought you passed almost flawlessly?
3) How long did it take to build a new network of friends? How did you make these friends?
4) Did you maintain contact with supportive friends from your old life?

Input much appreciated!

Sarah
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

Lynne

This is a somewhat painful subject for me because I feel that I didn't handle this too well.

I moved away for similar reasons you mentioned. I wanted to distance myself from everything and everyone so I could discover myself more freely, without complicating the lives of others, at least that's how I rationalized it to myself.
But in reality there was another important aspect, I did not want to look into the eyes of my friends and family while doing it(even after coming out to my parents), I felt ashamed of myself.

1) How many months after starting HRT did you do this move? Were you passing well already when you moved?
Before I left I got the psychologist and psychiatrist letters required to go on HRT but did not start HRT. I was passing without HRT, my two problems were facial hair and voice.

2) Upon completing the move, did you immediately start getting involved in your new community after moving, or did you wait until you thought you passed almost flawlessly?
I got more involved in the trans community almost immediately, I helped our local trans organization to organize quite a few events and conferences.
Otherwise I mostly kept to myself and this was not hard to do in the middle of a big city where nobody really cares about anybody. There was no community to speak of in a city like that, I barely spoke a few words with my neighbors in years.
I could not afford to not work until I felt ready to go full-time so I started to lead a double life, go to work as male, almost everywhere else as female.

3) How long did it take to build a new network of friends? How did you make these friends?
It really depends on how we define friends but I think after 4-6 months I had at least a few people to talk to.
I made friends at my day job and at the events organized by the trans organization I mentioned above. I had two circles of friends and they were strictly separated.

I basically abandoned the few friends I had without much explanation because I was too weak at the time to deal with the situation.
I started writing multiple letters to my friends to explain the situation but as time passed I felt worse and worse about it and I never sent any of them. In the end they did not have a chance to accept or reject me. This is something that I regret to this day.

It was a complicated time because I had to find a job to avoid starving(literally), then after I got a job I started to build a new career which took a lot of time and effort. I moved forward in my life a great deal since I moved here, but I'm still not legally female, so still leading a double life. The facial hair is mostly gone and I'm slowly making some progress with my voice as well.
I have a few co-workers who I consider a friend and I'm hoping they will at least try to understand my situation when I come out to them.
  •  

Michelle_P

I found a nice little condo unit to rent in a walkable community, moved in, and immediately went full time as my authentic self after being on Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) about 5 months.   

I set about rebuilding my life and taking care of all those details like name and gender marker changes.  I found a welcoming and accepting church, an Unitarian Universalist congregation.  I found a social support group that meets several times a month and joined them.  I made friends, and built a social life.  I found that I wasn't actually an introvert, but an extrovert once un-closeted.

I did keep up relationships with some in my old life.  I actually jumped to full-time while president of a civic service group, an amateur radio club that worked for the fire department and handled the backup communications services.  There were no issues with those folks, who really valued technical skills and didn't seem to give a damn about the gender identity stuff!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

sarahc

Quote from: Lynne on January 20, 2019, 09:21:14 AM

I moved away for similar reasons you mentioned. I wanted to distance myself from everything and everyone so I could discover myself more freely, without complicating the lives of others, at least that's how I rationalized it to myself.
But in reality there was another important aspect, I did not want to look into the eyes of my friends and family while doing it(even after coming out to my parents), I felt ashamed of myself.

I totally relate to this! The big reason I'm moving away is because I'm involved in a lot of different community groups, and the last thing I want to do is impose on and divide those groups from sticking around. I can see a number of people in these groups being unsupportive of me remaining affiliated with these groups while others would be supportive, and honestly, I just don't want to create a lot of drama. (I am an anti-drama queen, and I really don't like conflict.)

But, as you said, there is probably a shame aspect to this, not so much that I'm ashamed of my trans identity, but I'm ashamed of letting others in the community down by making their lives complicated and of not fulfilling the commitments I made to serve as part of these organizations. I fine with telling people I'm trans (and in fact I've already come out to a number of people who don't live in my community), but I just don't want to disappoint people and create drama.
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

Allison S

I don't think I pass flawlessly and my voice definitely isn't where it needs to be. But being trans and visible isn't a bad thing... It's the judgemental actions, looks and treatment by others that is bad for trans people... With that said, life goes on still.

I'm going through this right now since I'm in the process of changing my name and gender on all my documents. I'm almost 16 months on hrt and have had to delay a lot... But it's been worth it so far. I just learned overtime to not care about things out of my hands and out of my control. There's always a solution to any problem. It may not happen today or tomorrow, but it will. And if the problem isn't solved, well life goes on. Transitioning is about learning to adapt and working with what you have.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

ChrissyRyan

Moving to start a new life is not necessarily, but could also be "living in stealth"?

I had the impression that living in stealth, either by moving or staying put, is to disavow your past life, deadname, etc. after transferring all legal documents to your new name AND you essentially severe all connections with the past. 

But moving away is just that, moving.  You are new to the new community, but you may still contact others you knew away from the community.  You may still do the legal name change.
Perhaps the contacts from the past do not even know of your transition?

Do I have the two concepts right or mixed up?   Thank you.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Complete

:embarrassed:
Quote from: sarahc on January 19, 2019, 02:02:39 PM
This post is directed towards those who moved away to start a new life somewhere else, which is the path I am likely to take, as it will be too awkward for both me and my parents to transition where I live right now (see my post history for details...).

Anyway, I have a few questions for those who have chosen this path...I'm trying to get an understanding of realistically what this experience will be like:

1) How many months after
starting
HRT did you do this move? Were you passing well already when you moved?

Input much appreciated!

Sarah

So l am not sure how relevant my answers will be as l made  my change in the early 70's and things were very different then. But to begin :

1) How many months after
starting
HRT did you do this move? Were you passing well already when you  moved.[/b]
2) So l was on a very high dose, (by today's standards) of estrogen, as perscriped by a doctor, for about year before l even thought about a "social" transition.  Androgen blockers were not part of the medical regimen in those days. When l did finally let go of my male "presentation" it was because l was on my way out other state to get my srs.nice
Was l "passing" flawlessly?  Who knows,  but it must have been "good enough" since l was not getting any second looks or getting hassled.
3) Making new friends and building a new life:  None of that started until l had finally recovered completely from my srs. That took about a year but it gave me the time and opportunity to get all my facial hair removed.

4) l did not renew any of my old friends or acquaintances.
  •