Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

There are no Transgender Therapists for 100 miles

Started by VivianB, January 22, 2019, 04:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VivianB

I have been trying to find a Transgender friendly therapist here in SW Iowa for the past 3 years and there are none with 100 miles. Finding a therapist nearby is a pain in the derriere. I even  tried looking for an online therapist, but no such luck.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Please go to this thread and see if you can find a therapist.  (Search for individual or online therapist.  You may need to go to Des Moines.)

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,243630.0.html

Also, by doing a simple Internet search on "Online gender therapist"  a number of results will show up.  They may not be in Iowa, but they are out there to help.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

KathyLauren

Therapy is so valuable that it is worth doing whatever it takes to see a therapist. 

I had to drive an hour and a half each way to the city to see mine, and I still have to do the same drive whenever I see my HRT doc.  Both my therapists were good about booking double appointments to minimize driving time, and my HRT doc has arranged my now-annual checkups to occur in summer, when the driving is easier.  When I had to see a psychiatrist for my second surgery referral letter, I had to drive three and a half hours each way for the half-hour appointment.  It was my life on the line, and if I wanted to live it the right way, I needed to do whatever it took.

If you have to drive, ride the bus, or bum a ride from a friend, do it.  Don't hitchhike, though: that's too dangerous, especially for us.  Some therapists will do appointments via Skype.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Linde

I have to drive a little more than an hour to see my therapist, but it is worth every minute of the drive.  I go twice a month, and after each visit I have the energy gain to go down my path!.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•