Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Darn Endocrinologist

Started by Battle Goddess, January 23, 2019, 03:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Battle Goddess

I started HRT ten days ago! Very exciting.

I am by nature very distrustful of medications, though, very cautious. I don't like them and only take them when I have to. This, of course, is a "have to," and I'm glad to finally begin, so my plan has been to start with Spiro at a low dose, go with it slowly for a while, see how I tolerate it, then up the dose cautiously.

Had my first appointment with my guy about a month ago for a meet-n-greet and to order labs. He seemed okay enough to work with. It so happens that he's actually a GP, not a board-certified endocrinologist, but he's been working with trans people for years, particularly with older gals like me, and he's embedded in the local research community, so it's not like he's some upstart.

My labs all came back clean, and ten days ago I went to my appointment to review them and get my Rx for the Spiro. Haven't exactly felt any physical changes yet from the Spiro - no increased frequency of urination or cravings for sodium, for example - but then again I'm a rapid metabolizer. I p much need a double dose of any med before my body starts to notice it. And no doubt, greater changes are still to come. I have been feeling different, if not physically, just attitudinally. My baseline sense of general misanthropy has lifted a fair bit.

While at that second appointment, I also scheduled my annual physical exam with him. What the heck, he is a GP, and I was due. He was nice enough to offer to see me this past Sunday when he comes in to do weekly paperwork.

He did a good workup, looked down my throat, looked up my birth certificate, yaddah yaddah. Because I was tolerating the Spiro so well, he suggested I raise the dose again for a week, then move up to a high maintenance dose. Coolio.

Then he started talking about estrogen and its different modes of administration.

Estrogen, I protested, was not in the plans. At least, not yet. I at least wanted to be cautious, to wait until after the equinox, as my mood disorder can flare up around that time of year. Sure, he says, but we can still talk about the different ways you can do E while bypassing the liver. We talk about the patch. The gel. The shot. I allow as I'm okay with all of them, that I rather enjoy needles, but a patch sounds like a rash waiting to happen and the gel sure sounds easy.

He produces a sample pack of the gel. Comes in a little box containing a black plastic case that has seven slots in it, each with a little silver foil sachet of what I've been dreaming about for years.

Dang.

"Why don't you take it home and think it over?" He says. "When you're ready, you just apply one a day to your thigh and rub it in."

Dang.

Double Dang.

Double-Dog Dang.

I face him, my thoughts whirling a mile a minute. This is a real moment of truth for me, folks. Am I ready? I know what I want. I know what my heart says is right. My head says to take it slow. I hate meds. I'm cautious with meds. I don't like introducing meds into my body. Spiro is one thing, but moving to E feels like committing to going past the Point of No Return. I should sit with this, meditate upon it, ask Athena's guidance. The changes will be coming fast and furious if I do this. I'll have to fess up. No more fooling around. Time to be honest with myself.

I reach for the box.

I've been on E for four days now, and you know what? This stuff is great! I'm starting to believe in all that pink cloud nonsense. I'm telling you, natal XX women have been holding out on us.

Happily transitioning,

Battle Goddess
Spironolactone January 10
Divigel January 20
Estradiol Valerate March 14
  •  

Maid Marion

Congratulations on taking that big step!
  •  

pamelatransuk

Hello BattleGoddess

Congratulations on starting HRT Jan 13th and on adding the Estrogen Jan 19th. You'll remember both days forever!

I wish you every happiness and success on your journey.

Hugs

Pamela

•  

KathyLauren

Great story, BattleGoddess!  :)  Resistance is futile.  Congratulations on starting HRT!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

AnneK

QuoteResistance is futile.

If less than 100 ohms.   ;)
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Battle Goddess

True dat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Divigel January 20
  •  

JanePlain

I have a friend who transitioned years and years ago.  I remember joking to her that this estrogen stuff she was taking sounded addictive and she had better take care or wind up married to a nice guy living in a nice house in the country with the white picket fence.   

She did...
  •  

Jenny1969

Congradulations on your new start!!!
Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

Janes Groove

Wonderful.  It sounds like something you've wanted for a long time.
  •  

Dani

I can still remember the wonderful feelings I had when I first started Estradiol. Within the first week, I knew transition was going to happen. I could never go back to what I was.

Women really are not holding out on us, they just seem to think everybody feels like this.
  •  

Battle Goddess

Quote from: KathyLauren on January 24, 2019, 07:36:15 AM
Resistance is futile.

Quote from: AnneK on January 24, 2019, 07:51:24 AM
If less than 100 ohms.   ;)

Quote from: Battle Goddess on January 24, 2019, 04:21:23 PM
True dat.

I'm a little disappointed nobody caught onto the horribly tortured self-referential pun in my response to KathyLauren and AnneK, but you'd only get it if you've ever seen the movie Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Ready?
Wait for it...
It's a drawing of a newly fledged battle goddess, having given up all resistance, with a single ohm.

8)

/runs away
Divigel January 20
  •  

Astxl

•  

AnneK

Quotebut you'd only get it if you've ever seen the movie Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Never even heard of it, let alone seen it.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Astxl on January 27, 2019, 05:45:24 AM
what does "darn" mean?
Interesting. It's not in the dictionary but it's a word that has been used for a long time. It's a polite cuss word that means you're unhappy with something that you have to tolerate. If you want to get a better idea about the word, there is a movie from my youth called That Darn Cat.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

NatalieRene

Congratulations on starting down the path. This can be a very affirming time even if the first week's effects are more placebo then anything an open mind goes a long ways.

Since you are on spiro be sure to monitor your potassium levels. :)

Best wishes on your journey and in a sense:

:icon_birthday:
  •  

krobinson103

After my first few days on spiro / estrogen I knew that it was right. The physical changes of course take much longer, but, the sheer elation of having the right chemicals in my brain...
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

Rachel

Congratulations, I hope you have a wonderful transition.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: krobinson103 on January 27, 2019, 04:49:16 PM
After my first few days on spiro / estrogen I knew that it was right. The physical changes of course take much longer, but, the sheer elation of having the right chemicals in my brain...

I took me about one week and everything seemed to line up much better.
  •  

LizK

@Battle Goddess Congratulations on starting your journey...I use the gel and find it simple and effective. I hope you enjoy your "pink fog" it really does seem to give you a different perspective.

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Linde

Quote from: GingerVicki on January 27, 2019, 05:59:10 PM
I took me about one week and everything seemed to line up much better.
So what is wrong with me?  I feel nothing, zero, nill, nada, just swollen feet! And unswollen feet bcause of spiro!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•