Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Darn Endocrinologist

Started by Battle Goddess, January 23, 2019, 03:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Battle Goddess

I definitely have issues with them...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Spironolactone January 10
Divigel January 20
Estradiol Valerate March 14
  •  

Battle Goddess

Quote from: Dena on January 27, 2019, 09:36:40 AM
Interesting. It's not in the dictionary but it's a word that has been used for a long time. It's a polite cuss word that means you're unhappy with something that you have to tolerate. If you want to get a better idea about the word, there is a movie from my youth called That Darn Cat.

Come to think of it, it's also a term for mending garments. It's even mentioned in Luke 2:8 "For in that same country there were shepherds, darning their socks by night."
Divigel January 20
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Dietlind on January 31, 2019, 09:35:14 AM
I should know on the 4th, because I have an appointment with the urologist!  This is the appointment at which it will be decided whether I will become a ball less wimp, or remain the same kind of wimp, just with balls!
Well, I know now what blood levels I have.  One thing is nice, my prostate is just sitting there and not acting up at all,  The PSI is 1.0, just like it is supposed to be!
My testosterone is 74 and my estrogen is 63.8.  I know that the testosteron is very, very low for a guy, and it indicates that the testes don't work anymore (the doc feels they stopped working several years ago).  Therefore he will go ahead,  and cut those babies out from me (health insurance will pay).
I don't have any idea if my estrogen level is high, normal, or low.  Can I get some intelligence here if that is an OK level for a trans woman?
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Donica

Whoo hoo! Congratulations girl! That's darn great!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

PurplePelican

Quote from: Dietlind on February 05, 2019, 07:16:43 PM
Well, I know now what blood levels I have.  One thing is nice, my prostate is just sitting there and not acting up at all,  The PSI is 1.0, just like it is supposed to be!
My testosterone is 74 and my estrogen is 63.8.  I know that the testosteron is very, very low for a guy, and it indicates that the testes don't work anymore (the doc feels they stopped working several years ago).  Therefore he will go ahead,  and cut those babies out from me (health insurance will pay).
I don't have any idea if my estrogen level is high, normal, or low.  Can I get some intelligence here if that is an OK level for a trans woman?

Units.. What unit of measurement is being used? Hard to make a comment without knowing.
This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: PurplePelican on February 05, 2019, 10:18:03 PM
Units.. What unit of measurement is being used? Hard to make a comment without knowing.
Don't know, they just gave m those numbers.  The stupid webportal of Labcorp is down since Friday, and I can't get a hold of those results.  I assume it is the standard measurement used in the US.  Afterall, Lab Corp is the largest test lab!

•  

pamelatransuk

Linde

On the HRT Board I have a "Comparison" thread which shows E&T Blood Test readings from many of us - mainly for 3/4 or 6/7 or 9/10 months but readings at other times are also welcome which I attach below. You may wish to compare your US readings with those there.

Next week I shall be doing the next quarter meaning E&T BT readings after 12/13 months on HRT Board. Please feel free to add yours stating period of time on HRT to either thread if you wish.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242549.20.html

Hugs

Pamela

•  

Linde

Quote from: pamelatransuk on February 06, 2019, 04:54:38 AM
Linde

On the HRT Board I have a "Comparison" thread which shows E&T Blood Test readings from many of us - mainly for 3/4 or 6/7 or 9/10 months but readings at other times are also welcome which I attach below. You may wish to compare your US readings with those there.

Next week I shall be doing the next quarter meaning E&T BT readings after 12/13 months on HRT Board. Please feel free to add yours stating period of time on HRT to either thread if you wish.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242549.20.html

Hugs

Pamela
Thanks Pamela, I put my values onto that board.

•  

Battle Goddess

Quote from: Dietlind on February 05, 2019, 07:16:43 PM

Gratz!
Divigel January 20
  •  

Linde

•  

Battle Goddess

Quote from: Dietlind on February 06, 2019, 12:44:52 PM
Thanks, an old girl has to be lucky once in a while!  ;D

I'd give my left nut to be in your shoes.
Divigel January 20
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Battle Goddess on February 06, 2019, 01:45:36 PM
I'd give my left nut to be in your shoes.
It is relatively easy, you just get your nuts to hurt like hell when you just touch them, and you can sit down with wide spread legs only, to nut squeeze them.
After that you go through a series of icky antibiotics, to make sure it is not a bacterial infection causing the pain.  Once you are though tha, your urologist has to reach the conclusion that you either have a chronic inflammation or some precancerous stuff going on that warrants to cut them away.
After a blood test showed that those babies don't work anymore anyway, the cutting them away dayte will arranged (if the scheduler is not out sick)!
As you can see, a very quick and almost pain free method to loose your balls!

•  

Battle Goddess

Quote from: Dietlind on February 06, 2019, 01:58:33 PM
It is relatively easy, you just get your nuts to hurt like hell when you just touch them, and you can sit down with wide spread legs only, to nut squeeze them.
After that you go through a series of icky antibiotics, to make sure it is not a bacterial infection causing the pain.  Once you are though tha, your urologist has to reach the conclusion that you either have a chronic inflammation or some precancerous stuff going on that warrants to cut them away.
After a blood test showed that those babies don't work anymore anyway, the cutting them away dayte will arranged (if the scheduler is not out sick)!
As you can see, a very quick and almost pain free method to loose your balls!

I'll get right on it.
Divigel January 20
  •  

fleurgirl

I was eating popcorn while reading this. It was so interesting and flowed really well.

Diction aside, when I previously transitioned I lived up North and had access to an UH-MAZING endocrinology at St. Louis Children's by the name of Dr. Christopher Lewis. He really personalized each of his patient's care, and during that time I was on Casodex.

However, because I was a twat and stuff happened, I ended my transition back then. Also, I turned 18 and moved...so, I was now 1,000 miles from Dr. Lewis and no longer eligible for his care either way, seeing that I'm now technically an adult. I hope that when the time comes for HRT again, i will be blessed with a doctor like Lewis again.

Congrats on beginning HRT. I definitely how cautious you are, especially regarding moods and such and the reluctance of taking medications. I can relate 100%

Keep us updated!

- Fleur
  •  

Battle Goddess

It's been a bit since I posted in this thread, so I thought I'd bring everyone up to speed on my progress.

After about two months on Spiro and a month and a half on Divigel...
...it isn't working.  >:(

That is, not yet.

I did my one-month labs a couple weeks ago and finally tracked my endo down to discuss them with him. Testosterone came in at 670, estrogen at 48.

He expected T below 200 and E above 60. His first take on the results was laboratory error!

Well, probably not.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm one of those people blessed (or cursed) with being an ultra-rapid metabolizer of medications. I simply need much higher dosages than a typical human being for any med to take effect. Psych meds, pain killers, you name it. My dentist always grouses about how much novocaine he has to give me.

What can you say? By definition, there have to be some people on the tail end of the bell curve.

So I remind him of that, and I also point out that I'm not feeling any of Spiro's classic side effects - no extra peeing, no cravings for sodium, no hypostasis, nuthin'. We conclude that the current dosage just isn't working.

Not exactly one of those things you'd have to go to Doctor School to figure out, but at the same time, it's not as though we'd have known things weren't working until we had all the evidence in one place.

Rationally speaking, it makes a lot more sense to take a good, sensible first shot in the dark at the right level, measure results, then adjust, but emotionally speaking, I'm left feeling sad and frustrated. Two months! I mean, I know It's A Lifetime Process, and We're All In It For The Long Haul, and there's no getting around that, but gee whiz! Let's get this show on the road, folks! I guess I can't call it two months wasted because it's two months gathering the data needed to make a better decision (darn, I hate being a scientist sometimes) but I wanted everything to have begun working perfectly from the start!

Aargh!

Darn endocrinologist

Darn transition

Darn being transgender and all the complicated needs and feelings that go along with it
But it is what it is.

So what to do, what to do, what to do?

First off, we're doubling my Spiro. I think I was at a typical maintenance dosage, but now we're going to head toward the top end of normal. That may be a start, but I remain skeptical. I usually need higher than the top end of normal, so I don't doubt that it'll be another round of trial, test, and adjust, and maybe we'll even conclude that Spiro isn't the right med or that we need an adjunct. Meanwhile, more time will pass. Sigh.

Second, we're switching to injectable E in the hopes that it will give us more flexibility to raise the dosage as we continue to test and adjust. I'll have to learn how to give myself shots, but that's kinda cool - I really do love needles. Don't ask.

Finally, I have to remember who I am and what I'm doing. Being myself is the objective, transition is the strategy, and all this footling around with hormones and endos and dosages are just tactics. Yes, I've got to get the tactics right to make progress, but I can't focus only on chemical transition. There are a lot of other aspects of transition to work on, many more challenges to face, much more fun to be had. A fascinating path to follow.

And I am the Battle Goddess.

Let's go.
Divigel January 20
  •  

Linde

@Battle Goddess, I might be a little like you concerning chemicals thrown into my body.  I know from my genome analysis that your standard opioides don't work with me, they are not metabolized by my system.  The only stuff that works is codeine, and my system converts that stuff into morphine (talking about a bio reactor!).
anyway, I have the suspicion that my body does not do to much with estrogen either, because the dose I was on did not do much for me.  My dose is now doubled, and I wonder what this will do in the absence of testosterone.
I had negative reactions from spiro, but it could have been the diuretic effect and the potassium sparing that drove me nuts, and now that I don't have them (the nuts) anymore, and thus have to take no spiro, I feel way better.

But that is all I can report about no testosterone and double estrogen.  Except the appearance advantage, I don't really need to tuck anymore, all that is left seems to disappear in tight female clothing.  I am currently  still wearing maxi pads, and doing them right can even create an illusion of a camel toe!  >:-)

•  

Maid Marion

Sorry  to hear of your setback with the meds.  At least you have lab tests so aren't "flying blind" with dosages and their effects.

Yes, there are a lot of things you can work on while waiting for HRT to show results.  But, everyone has to change at their own pace.
  •  

Battle Goddess

Yayyyy! The Titty Juice Drought is finally over!  ;D

Endo called in my Rx for E on Friday, but I've been chasing pharmacies around my neck of the woods ever since to find anyone that even had it in stock. Geez Louise, you'd think this would be a fairly common med. Guess not.

Off to Endo's office tomorrow to learn how to administer it to myself.
Divigel January 20
  •  

JanePlain

Quote from: Battle Goddess on March 13, 2019, 03:27:36 PM
Yayyyy! The Titty Juice Drought is finally over!  ;D

Endo called in my Rx for E on Friday, but I've been chasing pharmacies around my neck of the woods ever since to find anyone that even had it in stock. Geez Louise, you'd think this would be a fairly common med. Guess not.

Off to Endo's office tomorrow to learn how to administer it to myself.

Good luck in the hunt for a pharmacy.  I don't understand how they can't just order it and call you in a day or two when it should come in?   I've heard some types are difficult to find because they just don't produce enough.  Injectable type I think was becoming a problem.  Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't respond to some meds in low or average doses. 
  •  

Battle Goddess

Quote from: JanePlain on March 14, 2019, 11:19:53 AM
Good luck in the hunt for a pharmacy.  I don't understand how they can't just order it and call you in a day or two when it should come in?   I've heard some types are difficult to find because they just don't produce enough.  Injectable type I think was becoming a problem.  Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't respond to some meds in low or average doses.

Yah, the rapid metabolizer thing can be kind of a pain sometimes. For instance, one of the antidepressants I take is really great, but it lowers your seizure threshold, so you can safely only go up so high. Another one is fairly good except that it tends to give you heart problems the higher you go. Acetaminophen is useless for me - I'd need so much that it'd ravage my liver.

Saw Endo yesterday. He was really good to me. Taught me how to do the shot and spent a good amount of time just talking and checking in with how I was doing in general, though he was probably also sticking around to make sure I didn't go into anaphylactic shock.

He explained that for now I'm on a starter dose and that we'll eventually end up going to about four times as high. He wants me to give a call in a few weeks to check in. We'll test levels in another month and make adjustments.
Divigel January 20
  •