Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

3 weeks FFS Post-Op

Started by jojo702, January 25, 2019, 03:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo702

Hey all, just wanted to know what your experience was with FFS. When did your stitches where the incision was made in your Jaw and Chin begin to get loose where you could feel or see it creeping up to your gums?

Is that normal? Did you get scared? What did you do when you saw it?

When were you able to eat hard foods normally? Were you afraid of biting inside your cheeks due to areas of your mouth still being numb from surgery?

How long did you have to wear your face compression bandage for that went around your chin to your head? Did you wear it at work or only wore it at home? When did you stop wearing it to prevent skin from sagging from jaw and chin surgery?

When did your swelling mostly go down and were able to see some sign of result from the surgery?

I would really really appreciate all your answers! Just curious to know your experiences and how I could possibly compare my recovery. Though I know everyones recovery and body is different. THANK YOU!
15 years on HRT and going, started at age 16.

SRS+BA done in Bangkok, Thailand by the hands of Dr Chettawut Tulayaphanich and his team on November 1, 2014.
  •  

Michelle_P

My incisions at the base of my gums started loosening at around 3 weeks, and came out at around 4-6 weeks.  No big deal.  I have had surgery in my mouth before.

I could handle most hard foods and open my mouth fully at around 2 weeks.  This varies wildly depending on what is done.  I just had bone reduction and the masseter muscles were left alone.

The numbness took a little getting used to, but was largely gone on the lips and interior at 3 weeks.  6 months later I still have a numb strip from the chin up to just below the lower lip.

The worst swelling  started fading at around 2 weeks.  Jawline looked reasonable at 2 months.  The tip of my nose still has a little numbness and swelling at 6 months.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

jojo702

Quote from: Michelle_P on January 25, 2019, 11:12:16 PM
My incisions at the base of my gums started loosening at around 3 weeks, and came out at around 4-6 weeks.  No big deal.  I have had surgery in my mouth before.

I could handle most hard foods and open my mouth fully at around 2 weeks.  This varies wildly depending on what is done.  I just had bone reduction and the masseter muscles were left alone.

The numbness took a little getting used to, but was largely gone on the lips and interior at 3 weeks.  6 months later I still have a numb strip from the chin up to just below the lower lip.

The worst swelling  started fading at around 2 weeks.  Jawline looked reasonable at 2 months.  The tip of my nose still has a little numbness and swelling at 6 months.

Michelle, first I just want to say, your recovery came out BEAUTIFUL and you look beautiful! Thank you so much on the reply as I think I am experiencing the same. It's kind of weird though, I'm starting to get sensation on my chin, like some parts are still numb but the there's now sensation where it was numb 3 days ago. What should I do with the stitches that are coming loose at the base of my gums where the stitches were?

Also, I'm so afraid of eating hard foods yet as inside my mouth on my cheek walls are still a littl numb and Im afraid if I chew, I might accidentally bite my cheek walls without knowing. Did you experience the same thing?

Thanks Michelle!
15 years on HRT and going, started at age 16.

SRS+BA done in Bangkok, Thailand by the hands of Dr Chettawut Tulayaphanich and his team on November 1, 2014.
  •  

Michelle_P

It sounds like you are about 3 weeks out, right?

You should be able to snip off any loose suture threads that are just floating around secured at only one end.  Clip them past any knots where they are tied with other parts of the suture.  These occur as the material of the suture dissolves away.  At 3-4 weeks the tissues should be healed now. Your doctor or Nurse-Practitioner can give you the final word on this if it isn't covered in your post-op paperwork.

Just chew with care.  You should have sensation on at least one side on the inside of the cheek, to make it easier.  Very gently brush or rinse out the gumline near those sutures after eating.  I went through a lot of mouthwash to keep this area clean.  I never bit my cheeks, but I did irritate the suture area a couple times.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •