News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Dealing with Doubts

Started by jackiefox5585, January 26, 2019, 11:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LauraE

Quote from: Jaime320 on January 29, 2019, 11:06:02 PM
yeah that first solo. Anxiety inducing for sure. Post solo is elation. HRT journey equal anxiety levels, but is much more enjoyable. I love to fly but almost everything pales in comparison to HRT.

Nice to see another pilot here.

Laura
When you're ready, start living your truth.
That's when the magic happens.

Laura Full-Time: November 27, 2020

My FFS Journey   | One New Life to Life (my blog)  |  Should I Stay or Should I Go |   My Breast Augmentation

•  

AnneK

QuotePhysicians following WPATH protocols for safety require that a patient be receiving professional counseling before starting HRT.

Are you sure about that?  I just asked my doctor for hormones and was referred to an endocrinologist, without any therapist.  I live in Ontario, where informed consent is all that's required and I believe WPATH is being followed.

"Decision to start hormones

Although   the   decision   to   implement   treatment   with   
hormones  for  a  trans  client  is  individualized,  there  are 
some common guidelines undertaken by our health centre
These guidelines are designed to maximize the safety of
the  client,  fulfill  the  legal  and  ethical  requirements  of 
the  primary  care  provider,  and  reduce  the  possibility  of 
inappropriate treatment
  The trans population has suffered
a  great  deal  of  prejudice,  misunderstanding  and  harm 
from  the  medical  community,  and  systemic  oppression 
experienced  by  trans  clients  has  often  resulted  in  the 
denial  of  service
    The  health  care  provider's  role  in 
assessing a client's eligibility and readiness for hormone
therapy  can  create  an  unfortunate  dynamic,  with  the 
provider positioned as the 'gatekeeper' to treatment
In
response to this, a number of community health centres
in the US have implemented what has become known as
the  'informed  consent  model'  for  hormone  provision
In this model, the focus is on obtaining informed consent
as  the  threshold  for  the  initiation  of  hormone  therapy, 
with  less  emphasis  on  meeting  DSM  diagnostic  criteria 
for   Gender   Dysphoria   or   requiring   a   mental   health   
assessment  unless  significant  mental  health  concerns 
are identified"

http://sherbourne.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Guidelines-and-Protocols-for-Comprehensive-Primary-Care-for-Trans-Clients-2015.pdf
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: lauraelliott1951 on January 29, 2019, 10:36:49 PM
oh, this is funny....I was just on a pilots forum (I'm a pilot)
Hi, @lauraelliott1951 and @Jaime320.  Have you checked out the Aviation Thread?  There are lots of aviators and aviatrices here.

(Sorry for the interruption!)
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jaime320

@kathylauren

Yup posted my solo after action in there
  •  

Linde

Quote from: pamelatransuk on January 30, 2019, 04:41:45 AM

That is something that I (and I'm sure most other transitioners) wish to achieve - to meet be perceived and treated by other women as a woman and to be completely accepted socially and to form friendships from there.
Hugs

Pamela
This will come over time.  I am the only trans woman in a social group o 18 cis women, of which 6 are my very close friends.  Th 6 of us go shopping, do other fun things and just sit and chat with coffee and cake, like most women do.  I am just one of them.  When I go clos shopping, one or two of them come with me, and it is just normal that they go with me into the dressing room like they do with other cis friends!  For them I am not a trans woman anymore, I am just a girl friend, and we talk about emle stuff, like women, who are close friends, do!
OK, I have a little head start in this field, because I started with this kind socialization many years ago, and it feels just natural to me.

You will feel similar, just give it some time and the right lady friends!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Linde

Quote from: AnneK on January 30, 2019, 06:08:41 AM
Are you sure about that?  I just asked my doctor for hormones and was referred to an endocrinologist, without any therapist.  I live in Ontario, where informed consent is all that's required and I believe WPATH is being followed.

I got also onto estrogen before I even knew that a therapist would be helpful for me! My case is almost the same to yours, and I live in Florida!  I was not even asked about informed consent, i just got the prescription, and off I went!

•  

Jaime320

Yeah new WPATH includes IC and IC is accepted by most insurance carriers now. Therapy is encouraged, but not mandatory.
  •  

Joanna Jones CD

Quote from: Dietlind on January 30, 2019, 11:01:43 AM
I live in Florida!  I was not even asked about informed consent, i just got the prescription, and off I went!

Same here too in North Florida.  My primary doctor was very willing to start me on my HRT as he wanted to also learn from my journey.  After doing tons of research, I am very comfortable with him leading me down this path.  Since I live in a small community, there were not many doctor choices.  Got the prescriptions, and off I went without any informed consent.
  •  

AnneK

Quote from: Dietlind on January 30, 2019, 11:01:43 AM
I got also onto estrogen before I even knew that a therapist would be helpful for me! My case is almost the same to yours, and I live in Florida!  I was not even asked about informed consent, i just got the prescription, and off I went!

As I haven't been to the endocrinologist yet, I don't know what to expect from him.  I would think some discussion of health issues would be appropriate though.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: AnneK on January 30, 2019, 01:57:06 PM
As I haven't been to the endocrinologist yet, I don't know what to expect from him.  I would think some discussion of health issues would be appropriate though.
OK, I am a health professional myself, and my endo knew this.  The only questions the endo asked, if I  can remember what the consequences of hormone treatments are.  I said yes,  and he signed the prescription.

•  

Complete

So l am still hoping that despite the inclination to compare a life changing medical process to one's first slol flight or how cool it might be to hang with the neighborhood coffee klatch, some one will point out that  starting a feminizing, (or masculinizing) hormone regimin is irreversible and should not be undertakenlightly.
  •  

pamelatransuk

Quote from: Dietlind on January 30, 2019, 10:52:39 AM
This will come over time.  I am the only trans woman in a social group o 18 cis women, of which 6 are my very close friends.  Th 6 of us go shopping, do other fun things and just sit and chat with coffee and cake, like most women do.  I am just one of them.  When I go clos shopping, one or two of them come with me, and it is just normal that they go with me into the dressing room like they do with other cis friends!  For them I am not a trans woman anymore, I am just a girl friend, and we talk about emle stuff, like women, who are close friends, do!
OK, I have a little head start in this field, because I started with this kind socialization many years ago, and it feels just natural to me.

You will feel similar, just give it some time and the right lady friends!

Thank you Linde. That is nice to know - both for you now and for me in due time with the right lady friends!

Hugs

Pamela

•  

Linde

Quote from: pamelatransuk on January 31, 2019, 03:43:07 AM
Thank you Linde. That is nice to know - both for you now and for me in due time with the right lady friends!

Hugs

Pamela
4 of my 6 cis women friends, were already my friends for quite a while, when I still presented as a man.  They took it up as their duty to make me into a "real" woman, after I came out to them!  One of them went with me bra and other underwear shopping (to give me  a little more of a comfort zone)

•  

Jaime320

Quote from: Complete on January 30, 2019, 09:31:46 PM
So l am still hoping that despite the inclination to compare a life changing medical process to one's first slol flight or how cool it might be to hang with the neighborhood coffee klatch, some one will point out that  starting a feminizing, (or masculinizing) hormone regimin is irreversible and should not be undertakenlightly.

Solo flight is life changing. So is HRT. Both can have dire consequences if something goes wrong and equally positive as well. The key is education and knowing your limits and what you want. As for flight you can abort a takeoff, or go around for a landing. HRT while changes do occur is typically not immediately permanent. What changes do occur in first few months resolve themselves once HRT is stopped in many cases. There's always surgical intervention to remove more permanent effects. Of course there are the potentially dangerous side effects as well. Again education and monitoring to know your limits.  As with all things HRT YMMV.
  •