Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

"regular surgeon" vs "trans surgeon" (hysto)

Started by November_Fox, February 11, 2019, 11:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

November_Fox

Hi guys,

My search for hysto surgeons is going quite well. A friend of mine has connections in the medical field and has checked for me which surgeons are well-known etc.

He also asked: do you specifically need a trans surgeon, or can it just be any surgeon who performs hysterectomy?

My question here is, if you can answer it - what are the pros and cons of going to a regular surgeon for hysterectomy, versus going to a surgeon with trans experience?

Thank you in advance!
  •  

Dex

I went to a normal OB/GYN for my hysterectomy. To my knowledge, I was her first trans patient. I had my hysterectomy at just over 2 years on T.

I had issues with my reproductive system since puberty and due to my extensive paper trail of issues, my complete hysterectomy was medically indicated. Since that was the case, I needed to stay in network with my insurance for coverage. My normal PCP recommended a doctor she thought would be trans-friendly. In all honesty, the OB doc was fantastic. Very wonderful to work with, since I was on testosterone and had no desire to ever be off of it she was in agreement with my plan to have all the reproductive organs removed (ovaries, Fallopian tubes, uterus, cervix) vs a more "routine" hysterectomy which may only include the uterus and cervix.

The staff that did my pre and post op were fantastic and very considerate of me and respectful of me.

Pros - knowledgeable staff, caring providers, someone that was familiar with that anatomy and routinely does hysterectomies (though I'm sure those that specialize in trans hysterectomies would have the same pro)

Con - the only con I can come up with was discomfort going to a "normal" OB clinic. To work around that, I had my wife come with me to appointments and the front desk staff used my last name to call us out of the waiting room.  This at least gave me plausible deniability that I was just accompanying my wife to an appointment.  In a trans specific care setting, you may not experience that.

To be clear, nothing about the clinic itself made me uncomfortable. All the staff and the provider were absolutely fantastic. It was my own dysphoria at being a male in an OB waiting room that made me uncomfortable. I know men go to OB for reproductive testing and such but... it still was just a touchy thing for me.

As it relates to my experience with the provider, staff, and surgery itself, though, I honestly cannot say enough good things. If you find an accepting and open provider, trans specific or not, I think that really is the key.
  •  

mm

Dex, good to hear you had a good experience overall.  Yes, going to a OB/GYN office is hard for us and them allowing you to make it look as thou you were going together was great.  Glad you had such a good experience and with your medical situation it was relatively easy to get everything removed.
  •