Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Do I really need an orchiectomy?

Started by KindOfBlue, February 14, 2019, 10:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KindOfBlue

Hello All,

Even though Orchiectomy has its own topic, I am posting here because my question is more about HRT risk.

I have an orchi scheduled for Monday morning, but I'm double-checking whether it is medically necessary outside of relieving the dysphoria of having male gonads. In other words, how well documented are the risks of spironolactone and estradiol in healthy adults?

For spironolactone it seems there are few negative long term effects or risks outside of those with renal issues.  I'm not suggesting that everyone tolerates it — but I've never felt discomfort while taking it.

For oral estradiol I know there are clotting issues, but is the dose reduction that usually occurs after orchiectomy going to significantly reduce that risk?

It is not my motivation to challenge conventional wisdom, but I would feel better going into Monday if I had more hard evidence that I was making a change to my body that was metabolically healthy. Dysphoria itself would not compel
Me to take this step.

Thank you,

M
  •  

Dena

Spiro is somewhat of a nasty drug in that you have to watch your fluid and food or you could have dangerous results. Hight potassium, insufficient salt or limited fluid can cause you to pass out or result in death.

Estradiol is fairly safe. Clots are an issue if genetically you're at risk for them but most of us are not. Oral Estradiol seems to carry the highest risk but there are some who would argue that other forms of estradiol may also carry some risk.

Properly monitored, these risks can be minimal so an orchi is somewhat of a personal decision. I wanted it all and wouldn't have been happy with just a Orchi. Others may feel differently so the right answer is the one that's right for you.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Devlyn

I'm post orchiectomy, I am on the same dose of estradiol as before surgery. The Spiro was stopped simultaneously with my surgery. I have not heard anyone else mention their E dosage being reduced.
  •  

Linde

I am currently on spiro, and it makes me feel lethargic and listless.  I am glad that I can get off of it net week when i have my orchi.
I did not have that feeling when I was on estrogen alone!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Allison S

I'm looking to have my orchi in the next couple of months... I feel the same way, but at the same time I'm tired of taking spiro twice everyday. I would stop spiro, but I don't want to risk hair coming back on my body and face and for the hair on my head to thin out... I'm scared of both DHT and testosterone... I think it's a very personal decision

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

Linde

Quote from: Allison S on February 15, 2019, 07:50:20 AM
I'm looking to have my orchi in the next couple of months... I feel the same way, but at the same time I'm tired of taking spiro twice everyday. I would stop spiro, but I don't want to risk hair coming back on my body and face and for the hair on my head to thin out... I'm scared of both DHT and testosterone... I think it's a very personal decision

Couldn't you take Finasteride for to prevent that?  I take Finasteride (for a different reason and in it's strongest dose) for over 5 years now, and seem to not have any side effect from it.  Unlike spiro, which kind of knocked me down after only one month on it, and I take it only once a day!
I don't know if I can stop Finasteride after my orchi, the endo said yes, the urologist said no.

Body hair is no problem for me, if one does not have any to start with, it can't grow back.  I don't know about the hair on my head, because I never had any hair loss up there.  But don't see any reason that I would experience any, after my testes are gone, and the only testosterone produced stems from the adrenal glands to keep me at female levels or lower.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Allison S

Quote from: Dietlind on February 15, 2019, 08:03:42 AM
Couldn't you take Finasteride for to prevent that?  I take Finasteride (for a different reason and in it's strongest dose) for over 5 years now, and seem to not have any side effect from it.  Unlike spiro, which kind of knocked me down after only one month on it, and I take it only once a day!
I don't know if I can stop Finasteride after my orchi, the endo said yes, the urologist said no.

Body hair is no problem for me, if one does not have any to start with, it can't grow back.  I don't know about the hair on my head, because I never had any hair loss up there.  But don't see any reason that I would experience any, after my testes are gone, and the only testosterone produced stems from the adrenal glands to keep me at female levels or lower.
I don't have hair loss anymore. And one main reason I'm getting an orchi is to get off the Spiro med so I wouldn't wanna take Finasteride.  Of course unless I really needed to

•  

GingerVicki

I am getting an orchiectomy for a couple of reasons. The first is to relieve my dysphoria and the second is that I do not want my kidney or liver or whatever to process it. I figure the more wear and tear they have to less they could work later. I plan on living another 40+ years and need those.
  •  

Kate.claire

I went with no blockers and E only, to keep from taking anything else if I could help it. Got to the point where I felt that E is relatively low risk. Started in patches, but a month of rashes and a patch or two that rolled up on me,  and I switched over to injectable. I'm just too much of an airhead to remember taking pills everyday. Everyone is of course unique, but in my case, I got what I wanted, T levels bottomed out on E only (so far). I had really low T levels to begin with. I thought about orchi up front too, but E felt like the more gradual approach to find the right balance for myself.  Plus,  I'm squeamish about surgery.  I've found my dysphoria so much easier to manage now.
Kate Carter

"I'm on outside, I'm on the outside now"

•