Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Worth it to wait?

Started by meatwagon, February 19, 2019, 02:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meatwagon

The therapist I had been seeing for the past year left the practice a few months ago.  Since then, my life has been getting steadily worse and so has my health.  While I wouldn't attribute this to lack of therapy, having someone to talk to besides one or two online friends whose only response is "I don't know" sure would come in handy.  After a lot of deliberation and discussing with my partner, I finally settled on one who seemed right, based on her profile and the information on the website for her practice.  I may not know for sure until we actually start talking, but knowing going in that the person I choose has the qualities I'm looking for in terms of their experience and approach to certain topics goes a long way toward making me feel more comfortable about the decision. 

The problem is, she doesn't have any availability until April.  I have no idea what will change between now and then.  My job, my living situation, my insurance, and my schedule are all dangling by a thread that can and will be cut any time now.  I don't know where I'll be with any of those things by the time I'm able to make an appointment with this person, or how much worse things will get between now and then.  Or if, by some miracle, things would get better to the point that I no longer felt the need. 

Should I go ahead and stick with my first choice, or tell her "sorry, I can't wait that long" and try to find someone else? 
  •