Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Orchiectomy and ability to produce T

Started by Jennifer300, February 21, 2019, 09:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer300

Does an Orchiectomy remove the ability to produce Testosterone?  If so and one transitions on HRT producing the feminine figure physically, if they stop taking HRT will they physically transition back other than breasts?  I would think the mental transition of the brain might transition back but I don't know without Testosterone.  If a person still has testicles and de-transitions, the T and E would shift back to where they were pre HRT and the physical body would transition back to male other than breasts.    I just never thought about if one stopped taking HRT after a Orchiectomy.  I have read here where T blocker is usually stopped after a Orchiectomy since no longer needed.  As I understand you either need T or E to keep your body healthy, so after an Orchiectomy I would think you would then need to take one or the other to keep bones healthy etc.  I am new to all the fine details so I am still learning.
  •  

steph2.0

It's my understanding that the adrenal glands still make a little T, enough to keep you healthy. Even ciswomen have a small amount of T in their system. You'd need to stay on E the rest of your life, unless you decide to detransition, in which case you'd have to take T to get back to male levels if you'd had an orchi.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

AutumnLeaves

After orchiectomy you will no longer produce testosterone and MUST take some kind of hormone replacement. If you do not, you will be severely hypogonadal and will suffer menopausal symptoms including hot flashes, sweats, depression, and weakening bones. You do not produce enough "adrenal" testosterone to make any measurable difference. After my surgery I had to stop my estrogen for about six months because they thought (wrongly) it was giving me migraines. During that time I did not become more male, but I lost some breast volume and felt horrible. They did a bone scan and found out I had lost an alarming percentage of my bone mass even during that short time. Once I was back on estrogen I immediately felt better and all of the adverse changes improved. I plan on being on HRT for most of the rest of my life, and you should, too, if you are considering this surgery.
  •  

mm

Yes to prevent bone loss, everyone needs T or E in their system, either naturally or synthetically.  Don't decide not to take any for a long time or you will have serious problems.
  •  

GingerVicki

Yes people begin aging at an increased rate.
  •  

Linde

I just saw my endo today, and he told me that we need to never ever test for T.  The little T my adrenal glands produce will go down even more over time.  I need estrogen as my fuel for the rest of my life.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

christinej78

Hi Folks,                       12 April 2019

I had my Orchiectomy 13 April 2018; I was on Estradiol patches until 23 November 2018 at which time I developed a DVT in my left leg. I have been off he-mones since 13 Apr 18 and she-mones since 23 Nov 18. I am now in the fifth month of being on "No-mones." My boobs have shrunk some, my fem shape has transitioned to Pear-mone. not zackly what I  wanted.

I am concerned about bone density as my bone density scan last year indicated I have osteopenia, an early indicator of Osteoporosis lurking in the wings. I have also noticed I don't feel as good as I did when Estradiol was flowing through my system. I have a visit with the Hematologist 24 April 2019. Shortly thereafter I will have a visit with my Endocrinologist to see where I am physically. I hope I can resume my She-mones soon. My T and E are both at historically low levels

Best Always, Love
Christine
Veteran - US Navy                                       Arborist, rigger, climber, sawyer
Trans Woman 13 Apr 18                               LEO (Cop)
Living as female - 7 years                             Pilot
Start HRT san's AA's 27 March 2018              Mechanic
Borchiday completed Friday 13 Apr 2018        Engineer Multi Discipline
IT Management Consultant                            Programmer
Friend                                                          Bum, Bumett
Semi Retired                                                Still Enjoy Being a Kid, Refuse to Grow UP
Former Writer / Editor                                   Carpenter / Plumber / Electrician
Ex-Biker, Ex-Harley Driver                             Friend of a Coyote
Ex-Smoker 50 years and heading for 100
  •  

AnneK

Quote from: GingerVicki on April 11, 2019, 10:44:58 AM
Yes people begin aging at an increased rate.

Especially as they get older!   ;)
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •