Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Am I the only one who can't stand the new female dr who?

Started by Julia1996, February 23, 2019, 01:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Hi everyone. So when I found out they were casting a woman as the latest Dr.Who I thought that it was great and would be interesting to see a woman in that role. I found her beyond annoying in the first episode and couldn't stand her in the other 3 I tried to watch. So I just don't bother watching it anymore. The character of Dr Who is meant to be somewhat annoying I know, but this female Dr Who is just too annoying. Does anyone else dislike her or is it just me?
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

TonyaW

I like her.  Not often you find a quirky female character that's also smart.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Linde

i don't like Dr. Who anymore after the first doc, is gone. Everything after this is, like all sequels, mostly boring!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Dena

Dr Who, not really familiar with that. This is the who I know.

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

PurplePelican

You are hardly the target demographic for Dr.Who, but she's quite popular amongst the targets. Most of the complainers also seem to think that Eccleston was the 1st doctor..
This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 23, 2019, 01:09:16 PMDoes anyone else dislike her or is it just me?

Not to burglarize your thread Julia, don't watch "Who" very much, but how many here like the new female Spock "T'Pol" in the 2004 series Star Trek Enterprise?

Chief Engineer "Trip" is such AN IDIOT been egging him all through season 3 (just sex experiment with no "relationship"? yea right!) only to have her marry that Vulcan instead?

And her mother reminds me of my evil step-mother YUCK!

"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Chloe on February 24, 2019, 07:16:43 AM
Not to burglarize your thread Julia, don't watch "Who" very much, but how many here like the new female Spock "T'Pol" in the 2004 series Star Trek Enterprise?

Chief Engineer "Trip" is such AN IDIOT been egging him all through season 3 (just sex experiment with no "relationship"? yea right!) only to have her marry that Vulcan instead?

And her mother reminds me of my evil step-mother YUCK!

Enterprise was my least favorite of the star trek shows besides DS9.  I found it very slow and boring. They had too many episodes featuring political situations. I'm not surprised it was canceled. I did like T'pol though. And yes, trip was like a sad little puppy. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: PurplePelican on February 24, 2019, 12:52:56 AM
You are hardly the target demographic for Dr.Who, but she's quite popular amongst the targets. Most of the complainers also seem to think that Eccleston was the 1st doctor..

Oh I know. My dad is the one who got me into dr who. And I know that series has been around since like the late 50s so there have been many different Drs. I have seen some of the ancient black and white episodes. Though the special effects were quite cheesy back then I have to say the show was good considering the time period. I like dr who but given a choice of old British tv series I would pick Absolutely Fabulous over dr who. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Linde

Quote from: PurplePelican on February 24, 2019, 12:52:56 AM
who would you consider to be the target demographic?  I did not leave a singele episode of the original Dr. Who out.  The second rendition was still OK, but I don't care for the newer ones!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Chloe

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 24, 2019, 11:07:01 AM
Enterprise was my least favorite . . . I found it very slow and boring.

Au contraire Julia have to disagree! I have watched every corny, bordering on ridiculous episode and movie of Star Trek since it's Thursday night inception on NBC Sept 8th, 1966! Even met a hungover Capt Kirk personally after he had just missed a Boston flight and it was suggested he *beam" himself there instead!
      Surprized I haven't seen this one sooner but your right about one thing: this series is definitely much more "down-to-earth" literally!

Cheers!  ;)
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Julia1996 on February 24, 2019, 11:12:36 AM
Oh I know. My dad is the one who got me into dr who. And I know that series has been around since like the late 50s so there have been many different Drs. I have seen some of the ancient black and white episodes. Though the special effects were quite cheesy back then I have to say the show was good considering the time period. I like dr who but given a choice of old British tv series I would pick Absolutely Fabulous over dr who. Lol
The cheesy special effects were part of the charm of the old series. 4th doctor is still my favorite. Our oldest daughter is named after one of his companions.  I like the new series also and have liked all of the new Doctors. Not been enough of Jodie yet to call her my favorite of the new set though.

•  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: TonyaW on February 23, 2019, 06:20:47 PM
I like her.  Not often you find a quirky female character that's also smart.

I too feel that she's quirky and smart, but I've only seen like 2 eps so far.  I actually went to the movie theater this past December to see 13's first official episode.  I felt she was caring and funny too!

Quote from: TonyaW on February 24, 2019, 04:20:34 PM
The cheesy special effects were part of the charm of the old series. 4th doctor is still my favorite. Our oldest daughter is named after one of his companions.  I like the new series also and have liked all of the new Doctors. Not been enough of Jodie yet to call her my favorite of the new set though.

From what I remember, "the special effects during the original run was supposed to be cheesy, as to make the viewer focus more on the stories and the characters."  I remember reading that from some (physical not digital!) magazine back during the 4th Doctor's run.

Of course, it could have simply been an excuse for the cheesy special effects too.  ;)

Ryuichi

•  

MaryT

I haven't seen the new Doctor yet.  I meant to at least watch the episode where the Doctor changes from male to female.  I'll make a point of watching, next time it is on. 

I was a big fan of the first Doctor.  I spent more than ten years of my childhood and teens without television but I had the first Dr Who annual to remind me of what I was missing.  The theme music was catchy but weird for the time and the concept of something being larger inside than outside was mentally stimulating.  The story in which the Daleks were introduced was also my introduction to neutron bombs, which had devastated their world.  I thought that neutron bombs were fictitious until President Carter threatened to use them in the Middle East.   

I hope that they bring in another elderly Doctor.  It is good to remind both the old and the young that old people can still have adventures and explore new places.   
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: MaryT on February 27, 2019, 05:13:43 PM
I haven't seen the new Doctor yet.  I meant to at least watch the episode where the Doctor changes from male to female.  I'll make a point of watching, next time it is on. 

*snip*

I hope that they bring in another elderly Doctor.  It is good to remind both the old and the young that old people can still have adventures and explore new places.

I don't think this qualifies as exactly "elderly," but Peter Capaldi was about 55 when he was chosen to play the 12th Doctor. [emoji12]

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on February 28, 2019, 05:06:50 AM

I don't think this qualifies as exactly "elderly," but Peter Capaldi was about 55 when he was chosen to play the 12th Doctor. [emoji12]

Ryuichi

If wikipedia and my math are correct, that would make him the oldest in a tie with William Hartnell to start their run as the Doctor.  Quite different how 55 played in the  early sixties as opposed to today.

•  

MaryT

Quote from: TonyaW on February 28, 2019, 06:33:46 AM
If wikipedia and my math are correct, that would make him the oldest in a tie with William Hartnell to start their run as the Doctor.  Quite different how 55 played in the  early sixties as opposed to today.

William Hartnell wasn't all that old when he played the doctor, was he?  The white wig he wore in Dr Who made him look older.  He also suffered from arteriosclerosis.

I wonder whether he is laughing or spinning in his grave now that his character is a woman.

•  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: TonyaW on February 28, 2019, 06:33:46 AM

True that!  Peter seemed to always be running, jumping or playing guitar, while William was the typical "grouchy old man."

Such different translations of The Doctor they both were!

I like to imagine William as saying, "simply brilliant!  Scandalous, but brilliant!" [emoji16]

Ryuichi

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Ryuichi13 on February 28, 2019, 12:37:36 PM
True that!  Peter seemed to always be running, jumping or playing guitar, while William was the typical "grouchy old man."

Such different translations of The Doctor they both were!

I like to imagine William as saying, "simply brilliant!  Scandalous, but brilliant!" [emoji16]

Ryuichi

Wasn't "brilliant" the first word spoken by Jodie Whitaker as the doctor?

•  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: TonyaW on February 28, 2019, 01:59:52 PM
Wasn't "brilliant" the first word spoken by Jodie Whitaker as the doctor?

I'm pretty sure you're correct, TonyaW:D But if you want to be absolutely correct, it was actually "Oh, brilliant!"  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI67XGgRFhw&ab_channel=demonpandagames

Ryuichi

•  

Kylo

I don't consider Dr. Who to have been good since the end of the 80s.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •