Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Any reason not to use 10% lidocaine cream prior to electrolysis?

Started by KennedDoll, March 03, 2019, 02:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KennedDoll

I am planning to start electrolysis and I saw numbing cream with 10.56% lidocaine

Can you think of any reason not to use that? If I could find an electrolysist that uses novacaine, that would be great, but I don't know if that exists in the Portland Oregon area.

•  

AnonyMs

You can get much stronger than that. Look for BLT cream, preferably with dmso.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: KennedDoll on March 03, 2019, 02:32:24 PM
I am planning to start electrolysis and I saw numbing cream with 10.56% lidocaine

Can you think of any reason not to use that? If I could find an electrolysist that uses novacaine, that would be great, but I don't know if that exists in the Portland Oregon area.
You might not need any!  I did not think the pain was bad enough for applying any numbing agent.  You may have a similar high pain threshold!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Jessica

I use Elma, half prilocaine, half lidocaine.  Works great for me.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

KennedDoll

I had electrolysis done briefly before the electrolysist retired a few years back. I used a numbing cream with 5% lidocaine, and it was a little hard enduring the electrolysis on my chin. Around the lips would probably be harder to endure.

Emla, I read, has 2.5% lidocaine and 2.5% prilocaine. I take Buproprion which I read is a drug with negative interactions with Prilocaine. I don't know how serious that is.

It's very confusing for me because most text that I read about any cream treats it as if it is the only option for a topical anesthetic, so I don't know why someone would use one over another.

Something says prilocaine and lidocaine together melts more quickly, which maybe means you can get more of it into your system. I don't know. I also see it compared to 4% lidocaine (over the counter lidocaine), which maybe means it would be less numbing than what I tried before and much less numbing than 10% lidocaine.

BLT cream, where I read about it, says benzocaine is effective for 20 minutes, but it becomes active more quickly than lidocaine. So, maybe the purpose of BLT vs. Lidocaine by itself is that it the benzocaine would be numbing until the lidocaine becomes active.

I've seen LT cream listed as having 23% lidocaine, so that might mean it is more numbing than the others.

Someone suggested that I see if a dentist will agree to give me novocaine injections before each session, if it is my face that is being treated. That seems like it would be ideal, if I can find a dentist to do that.

•  

AnonyMs

The different anaesthetics take different amounts of time to take effect, and lidocaine is stronger but more dangerous than the others.

DMSO transports chemicals through your skin, so you need to be careful when using it. It also dissolves rubber gloves and transports that through your skin...
  •  

KathyLauren

I have used Emla (2.5% lidocaine, 2.5% prilocaine), and I have used 5% lidocaine.  I couldn't really tell the difference.  I haven't seen anything stronger.  Even Emla is kept behind the counter here, though it is not prescription.

I got my dentist to freeze my upper lip when my electrocutioner started working on that area.  Trying it with just Emla had convinced me that I needed something stronger.  It allowed her to spend an entire hour on my lip, which got a good start on it.  It was so comfortable that I even fell asleep in one session. 

It took a lot of shots for the dentist to numb the whole lip.  About 9-10 most sessions.  One time, she gave me 12 shots.  It was probably the adrenaline in the shots, but I felt quite loopy after that for a few minutes.  Not good for driving to the electrologist's! 

The hard part is coordinating the appointments.  I needed to allow enough time to get the shots at the dentist and then drive to the electrologist, but not so much time that the freezing was wearing off before the end of the session.  It got tricky, especially when the dentist was running late.

These days, we still work on the upper lip from time to time, but I can do it with just Emla.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

AnonyMs

I find adrenaline in injections makes me shake. It can be a bit hard to walk for a while.
  •  

Dani

Lidocaine is a very effective topical anesthetic, but it does take a little while to work. I apply my 4% Lidocaine cream about one hour before my appointment and again just before the zapping session.  It seems to work for me as my electrologist says that my electrolysis levels are higher than any one else she sees. Other people cover the Lidocaine cream with a plastic sheet for about an hour or so. It seems to work for them, but I do not see the need to cover the application site. I just apply and apply once more.

Lidocaine also has cardiac side effects. It slows the electrical pulses in the heart muscle. Very little gets absorbed when used topically, but for this reason in the US the FDA has limited topical Lidocaine to 4%.  Other countries may not have this strength limit. You do see Benzocaine as high as 20% in the US, but this is not as effective as Lidocaine.

If the topical anesthetics are not as effective as you may need, then the only safe alternative that is significantly stronger is injectable Novocaine (Procaine) which must be administered by a doctor or dentist. Lidocaine Injection 1% or 2% with or without Epinephrine (Adrenalin) is commonly used by doctors for minor procedures. If scheduling with your dentist is impossible, a doctor at an immediate care center is a possibility, but they will charge for the visit.
  •  

steph2.0

I don't know how it compares to others, since all I've ever used is BLT. It's Benzocaine-Lidocaine-Tetracaine 20-6-4%. I have to get it made at a compounding pharmacy, and it's about $58 for 30 grams.

Since my electrocutioner and I agree on what we'll work on at the next session, I only numb that area, so that little bottle lasts me about six months of weekly sessions. I have a 1 1/2 hour drive to get there, so I put it on just before I leave, cover it in plastic (All Hail the Vis-Queen!), then renew it when I get there.

It must be working, because I know it vividly when she strays outside the area I treated!

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

KennedDoll

When I was having electrolysis done, briefly, years ago, I used "anorectal cream" bought from Walgreens (I was in california and I am now in Oregon). It has 5% lidocaine as opposed to what they sell as topical anesthetic that as 4% lidocaine.

The original post had a link to where you can purchase 10.56% lidocaine cream, but the link was removed because I haven't posted enough yet. You can search for "anesten cream". BLT cream can be found by searching on a search engine for "blt cream". LT cream is said to have 23% lidocaine.

I would think that inhaling the vapor might be something to worry about if one is putting it on their upper lip.

The novocaine injections idea sound the most promising to me. I'll see.
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: KennedDoll on March 05, 2019, 12:51:22 AM
BLT cream can be found by searching on a search engine for "blt cream". LT cream is said to have 23% lidocaine.

LT cream with DMSO is far more effective than BLT cream, but I think you'd want to be very careful with it. Women have died in the USA from using (far) too much emla and its a lot weaker.
  •  

LexiDreamer

I've never used any numbing agents.

Most electrologists don't tell you this but the trick is to not consume any alcohol or caffeine at least 4 days before your treatment. If you follow that rule the treatments will be much more bearable.

It's a shame most people don't know this.
*** Any suggestions I make should never be used as a substitute for licensed medical advice ***
*** All of my personal pharmaceutical experiences I share, have been explicitly supervised by a licenced medical professional ***
  •  

DawnOday

Like Lauren I use the EMLA  2.5 lidocaine and 2.5 prilocaine.  The cream has to be applied an hour or so before your appointment and then cover it with saran wrap to keep it from drying out. If you do this along with drinking lots of water. Which you should anyway. DO NOT DRINK anything with CAFFeiNE. If you do this you should not have too much problem. You must be careful however. If you cover too large an area it can cause you to get sick. Now make sure your electrologist has the skill to make it as painless as possible.  Luckily mine does.  I have been going to Nanci for two years. Yes it takes that long especially if your operator has a lot of customers.  The best part is Nanci and Kristen are now some of my besties.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Jessica

@KennedDoll

QuoteThe novocaine injections idea sound the most promising to me. I'll see.

I was able to get a novocaine injection the first time for the center below the nose.  I was told I nodded off a few times during the 90 minutes.  I must say for me the shots were a more intense pain than electrolysis, but I think when they did the second pass, I didn't use novocaine, just Elma and it was entirely bearable.  Thought is because they all were new sprouts.

Quote from: DawnOday on March 05, 2019, 08:56:53 PM
Like Lauren I use the EMLA  2.5 lidocaine and 2.5 prilocaine.  The cream has to be applied an hour or so before your appointment and then cover it with saran wrap to keep it from drying out. If you do this along with drinking lots of water. Which you should anyway. DO NOT DRINK anything with CAFFeiNE. If you do this you should not have too much problem. You must be careful however. If you cover too large an area it can cause you to get sick. Now make sure your electrologist has the skill to make it as painless as possible.  Luckily mine does.  I have been going to Nanci for two years. Yes it takes that long especially if your operator has a lot of customers.  The best part is Nanci and Kristen are now some of my besties.

Caffeine will intensify the pain, this is a true fact, but often I'll do a couple hours in the morning and I end up with a caffeine headache.  Though it's been said 8 hours before is a good bet, but I will have 1/2 cup coffee up to 2 hrs. and have actually had some fairly pain free sessions.

@DawnOday is this true?  I've gone in looking like Santa!

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Linde

I slowly start to feel like a weirdo!  I did not think that laser treatment of my face was all that painful, nor do I think that electrolysis is that bad either.  It is no fun, for sure, but not bad enough that it requires any pain medication of any sort.

I always thought I was a wimp when it comes to pain, and was really afraid to start electrolysis.  The only real pain I feel from this is in my wallet!   ???

•  

LexiDreamer

Quote from: Dietlind on March 06, 2019, 10:17:26 AM
I slowly start to feel like a weirdo!  I did not think that laser treatment of my face was all that painful, nor do I think that electrolysis is that bad either.  It is no fun, for sure, but not bad enough that it requires any pain medication of any sort.

I always thought I was a wimp when it comes to pain, and was really afraid to start electrolysis.  The only real pain I feel from this is in my wallet!   ???

I'm right there with you. I do 6 hour sessions with no numbing agents.
Usually about after 6 hours I'm ready to crawl off the table though. I get very antsy and the zaps start to really agitate me.
It's really not that bad. I think a lot of it has to do with the skills of the electrologist.
I asked my electrologist if I had a high pain threshold and he said no.
He told me it's two factors...
The electrologist's skill and whether the patient abstains from caffeine and alcohol for at least 4 days.

I suppose that's why he charges $125/hour.
*** Any suggestions I make should never be used as a substitute for licensed medical advice ***
*** All of my personal pharmaceutical experiences I share, have been explicitly supervised by a licenced medical professional ***
  •  

Linde

Quote from: LexiDreamer on March 06, 2019, 11:48:01 AM
I'm right there with you. I do 6 hour sessions with no numbing agents.
Usually about after 6 hours I'm ready to crawl off the table though. I get very antsy and the zaps start to really agitate me.
It's really not that bad. I think a lot of it has to do with the skills of the electrologist.
I asked my electrologist if I had a high pain threshold and he said no.
He told me it's two factors...
The electrologist's skill and whether the patient abstains from caffeine and alcohol for at least 4 days.

I suppose that's why he charges $125/hour.
They do max 2 hour sessions with me, because of swelling of the area.  I hardly drink alcohol at all, but drink one cup of coffee every morning, never two, just one.  A single cup may not o anything?  I don't know.

•  

AnonyMs

Quote from: Dietlind on March 06, 2019, 12:25:03 PM
They do max 2 hour sessions with me, because of swelling of the area. 

Prednisone will get rid of the swelling like magic.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: AnonyMs on March 06, 2019, 04:15:05 PM
Prednisone will get rid of the swelling like magic.
I know, it is an anti inflam with a lot of possible, rather nasty side effects!  Treating one for another?

•