News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

An Aussie Girls Life

Started by LizK, March 06, 2019, 04:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

What comes Next

In my last update on my GCS thread I talked about the idea of "What comes Next". I will use this thread to explore that question as well as have a place to talk about the things that come up since completing all my physical transition. I think transition itself is an ongoing process for many of us and we can unexpectedly find ourselves finished, at least Physically. There comes a time when there are no more operations or procedures to do, maybe we run out of money or maybe the inclination to make any further changes leaves us. Psychologically I think it probably goes on for years and years as we grow more comfortable with our new skin and role in society.

So what does come next...I don't actually have a clue but one of the things I have always spoken to my daughters about is, that if we find ourselves in a place in life where we want something different or maybe feel in a rut, then we have to take responsibility for the situation...we have to make a change...it doesn't need to be huge, it just needs to be different. Maybe its something you have done before that worked, maybe something completely new...but make that change and from that one change will flow others and from them still more and so on and son on.

So I made a change today....I committed to getting back into shape for my upcoming hip operation. I have no specific medical requirement to make except to be as fit and healthy as I can for yet another general anaesthetic...sigh this will be my 5th in 10 months...Since my GCS I have put 8 kgs back on. This operation took a huge toll on me physically and it has taken my hip 3 months to calm down. I try to go back to walking about 8 weeks ago and that ended in disaster. I am hoping with the additional time to recover I will now be okay to actually start my walking again.

Soooo with that in mind I set off today to complete 3kms as a starting point...It took me about 28 minutes and I kept my heart rate in the fat burn/cardio range for the entire time. I intend to stick with 3ks for at least the next couple of weeks until all my bits settle into a rhythm and I can easily accomplish this goal. I would ultimately like to get back to my 7ks a day and hit my target weight of 85kgs...but this will take time and a lot more motivation that I currently have LOL.

As far as this thread goes I am open to discussions about anything so long as it doesn't break any rules....

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Denise

Admirable.  We can do use this advice.  Funny thing is, I hate change.  That sounds kinda silly considering the changes over the last 3 years.

The only thing I would add is, make sure that you like what you're changing.  If you are not a fan of walking, try riding a bike or climbing stairs or swimming or .... You get the idea.  I lost 10kg 5 years ago and it felt/feels great.  I cut carbs to close to zero and picked up biking.  I now bike 2 or 3 thousand miles per year.  And I too pick up some weight post GCS.  Slowly, it's going away.

Good luck to all.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Denise on March 06, 2019, 05:38:39 AM
Admirable.  We can do use this advice.  Funny thing is, I hate change.  That sounds kinda silly considering the changes over the last 3 years.

The only thing I would add is, make sure that you like what you're changing.  If you are not a fan of walking, try riding a bike or climbing stairs or swimming or .... You get the idea.  I lost 10kg 5 years ago and it felt/feels great.  I cut carbs to close to zero and picked up biking.  I now bike 2 or 3 thousand miles per year.  And I too pick up some weight post GCS.  Slowly, it's going away.

Good luck to all.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Hi Denise I agree whole heartedly, change is not always a pleasurable experience...the outcome can certainly be but the process can leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks for posting  and you comment about liking what you are changing is very important. Congrats on the weight loss and my weight gain is siomply due to my inability to exercise...I tried this about 8 weeks ago and was unable to complete any more than 2 days before I was curtailed by my hip. After completing day three today it feels really good, however for some reason I have those dang blisters back...will have toi take care of that on tomorrows walk , I think it is just about getting back into condition again

Good luck with moving your post op weight.

LizK
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Faith

Alrighty Liz!! On the mend and taking on the world.

I walk every day if I can, either at work around the parking lot or around home on the backroads. I try to manage 10,000 steps in a day (~4.5 miles? ~7Km) I don't always make it though, things get in the way :(

3K is a good start to get back into the swing of things. That's probably all that I managed last night before my low back got mad at me. My weight is still up at 166 lbs (~75Kg)  >:(

I keep trying to increase my goal beyond the 10,000 step I ca't quite seem to do it.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

LizK

Quote from: Faith on March 07, 2019, 06:16:54 AM
Alrighty Liz!! On the mend and taking on the world.

I walk every day if I can, either at work around the parking lot or around home on the backroads. I try to manage 10,000 steps in a day (~4.5 miles? ~7Km) I don't always make it though, things get in the way :(

3K is a good start to get back into the swing of things. That's probably all that I managed last night before my low back got mad at me. My weight is still up at 166 lbs (~75Kg)  >:(

I keep trying to increase my goal beyond the 10,000 step I ca't quite seem to do it.

@Faith

Hi Faith

3ks is a starting point for sure...I was regularly up in the 12-15,000 steps per day prior to GCS in December but seemed to have slowed me up a little LOL

I think 10,000 is a great effort and is exactly what is recommended for weigh loss however I found I reached a plateau with my weight so had to increase it....I need to be around 85 Kgs so have a little over 10 kgs to lose I found it I did 7ks each morning along with normal everyday activity I lost around a 800grns to 1 kg per week.

Thanks for dropping by

LizK
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Hi Liz, I hope your healing and exercise goals go well dear. I do 5 miles of brisk walking per day here. I am not new to this message board, but have been away from here for a long time. For me almost 3 years post op, now. I am still discovering many subtleties in social interactions as a woman. Transition for me is really not over, even though I've completed many of the physical and social changes. I still find it fascinating learning these nuances, keeps me going, and getting better at it I think. I missed socialization as a girl when I was young, even though I had many females in my life, I think transition allows me to catch up on certain things, and apply what has been learned. It's life long learning.

Best wishes

Cynthia -
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: CynthiaAnn on March 12, 2019, 11:08:35 AM
Hi Liz, I hope your healing and exercise goals go well dear. I do 5 miles of brisk walking per day here. I am not new to this message board, but have been away from here for a long time. For me almost 3 years post op, now. I am still discovering many subtleties in social interactions as a woman. Transition for me is really not over, even though I've completed many of the physical and social changes. I still find it fascinating learning these nuances, keeps me going, and getting better at it I think. I missed socialization as a girl when I was young, even though I had many females in my life, I think transition allows me to catch up on certain things, and apply what has been learned. It's life long learning.

Best wishes

Cynthia -

@CynthiaAnn
Dear Cynthia:
I have been enjoying reading your recent comments since you have become more active on the Forums and I want you to know that your advice and replies are appreciated by all.   

HOWEVER, I have failed to find where you have been Officially Welcomed to Susan's Place since your very first posting more that 8 years ago back in January 2011 !!!!   

I am now taking it upon myself to give you a BIG WARM OFFICIAL WELCOME here.  I am glad that you are here and are now actively posting.

Please continue to post and mutually share with others your comments and thoughts on the forums.  There is no doubt in my mind that you found this to be a safe, friendly and happy place to share your thoughts and to meet and befriend many like-minded members here.

I am going to attach the important and informative LINKS that will give you the rules and hints about how to navigate safely around the Forums.   Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.
Please forgive me if you have already gotten them previously.

Hugs and again, Welcome to Susan's Place...
Best wishes to you,
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Thanks so much Danielle for welcoming me here !! I have a few friends here that are on this board that I was catching up with, I hope to be a bit more active. I hope you have a wonderful day

Hugs

Cynthia -
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: CynthiaAnn on March 12, 2019, 11:35:22 AM
Thanks so much Danielle for welcoming me here !! I have a few friends here that are on this board that I was catching up with, I hope to be a bit more active. I hope you have a wonderful day

Hugs

Cynthia -

@CynthiaAnn
Oh, and another thing Cynthia...
Even though you have been a member here for many years, it would be nice if you would plan to write a fresh introductions post and tell us more about yourself in the Introductions Forum so that other newer members will be aware that you are back posting again... therefore you will be able to share your thoughts with more members here.

Thank you being involved in the Forums here.
Best wishes to you,
Danielle

NOTE: Now after all of this Greeting Stuff I will let  @LizK  and everyone else have this thread back so that the exchange of conversation, thoughts and questions can continue.
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

CynthiaAnn

I will, I think that would be fun....

Hugs

Cynthia -
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Handing the conversation back to you Liz, walking was really good medicine when healing up from surgery, those first few weeks were rough, but after about 8 weeks I was doing a couple of miles by then. Walking promoted healing and circulation.

Best to you

Cynthia -

•  

LizK

Quote from: CynthiaAnn on March 12, 2019, 11:08:35 AM

Best wishes

Cynthia -

Quote from: CynthiaAnn on March 12, 2019, 03:05:46 PM
Handing the conversation back to you Liz, walking was really good medicine when healing up from surgery, those first few weeks were rough, but after about 8 weeks I was doing a couple of miles by then. Walking promoted healing and circulation.

Best to you

Cynthia -

@CynthiaAnn

Hi Cynthia

I had written quite a comprehensive response to your post but as frequently happens there was a "glitch" as I tried to post it and my response has disappeared so I will try again.

Thankyou for the kind words of encouragement...pre surgery I was walking around 7-8ks per day in preparation for my GCS surgery last December. It was probably one of the smartest things I did and as a result have healed really well despite some minor complications.

I returned to walking about 8 weeks ago only to find the damage to my arthritic hip from my GCS surgery was far worse thast I anticipated. Prior to surgery I was slotted to have a Hip replacement(bone on bone plus spurs) however the surgeons did not want to potentially damage my new hip by having it placed in the position it needed to be for GCS for the prolonged amount of time required. Coming out of my GCS surgery was excruciating causing my BP to rise the last number I heard before they knocked me out again was 220/120 and rising. When I awoke it was fine but it was clear some serious damage had been done.

When I returned to walking awhile ago I did so at 3ks as "tester" to see how much I could tolerate. At 10weeks post op I tried 3 days but could not do it for a sustained period. I quit with a view to starting again in a few weeks. Last week the time arrived to try again and I managed 4 days although by day 4 my hip was in bad shape. I have kicked off again this week at 3 ks and have found only a slight improvement. I am due to have my hip replaced in the next month or two and expect to be able to walk much better once this is done.

I was relieved to have my final surgery (VFS) completed and put the physical stuff behind me. I still have a lot to learn on a social level but that is one of those things that takes time. Thankyou for stopping buy and offering your encouragement I really appreciate it. Feel free to drop by anytime...

Take care

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

mm

LizK, sorry to hear you need hip replacement surgery so after your srs. It will be nice to be able to walk and not be in pain.  Keep us updated so we know how you are doing.
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Hi Liz, thank you for such a thoughtful response. Regarding the high blood pressure event, wow that's scarry. I had an issue with stopping the spironolactone just before surgery. and my kidney functions took a few months to recover using that, that in turn affected my BP too, now it's better....less medicine is better overall, i suppose....

I'm hoping your hip surgery goes well and you are back on your feet in no time.

Happy trails to you....

Cynthia -
  •  

LizK

Quote from: mm on March 12, 2019, 07:05:08 PM
LizK, sorry to hear you need hip replacement surgery so after your srs. It will be nice to be able to walk and not be in pain.  Keep us updated so we know how you are doing.
@mm
Hi MM

Thanks yes it is an  annoyance for sure but it was kinda planned. I got out there today again after things got difficult yesterday but this time with my walking stick, I usually do without but we are past that stage now. Surprisingly I only took about 4 minutes longer to do my 3 ks hwoever I was not able to get my heart rate up as high as I would like but still maintained the fat zone burn so all in all happy with that.

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Been a busy 24hrs or so...spent last night celebrating my Daughters 26th birthday which was a lot of fun. Just the 5 of us but that was more than enough to enjoy ourselves. Nothing fancy just sat around eating Vietnamese Takeaway food and talking rubbish as families do.

A couple of things struck me last night, the first being that when my Daughter was showing me around her newly prepared study room I noticed on the wall in place of prominence was a photograph of me at a formal event wearing a Tux along with my wife also dressed up. From what I could tell it was my daughters 21st birthday. It had a really strange effect on me...I didn't really study it, but even I could tell, despite that I was smiling, there really was nothing happening in my eyes...there was a masking effect. It is not something I have ever noticed before. I have had people tell me my smile has changed and I look much happier than they have ever seen me(hardly surprising) but I have always failed to see it myself.

The second thing was that after tea my daughter produced a bag of clothing she was going to get rid of and we women sat there working out who would get what and what would look good. This is something that up until recently I have not been included in and now I find myself fully immersed...and do you know what...I just felt happy and content. Wonderful!!
Liz 
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

CynthiaAnn

How nice being included in family female business Liz, it's a wonderful feeling ! We have 2 daughters ourselves here (also young adults in their 20's) and I've been included in things today I realized I was passed over on previously.

Regarding the old pictures, it's like looking at a ghost for me, I felt like I was hiding behind something, you see that now in hindsight, it was different then. I think the HRT does make your smile and facial features different, I know my face changed a little over the years. A woman's best asset is her smile.

Have a wonderful day Liz

Cynthia -

•  

LizK

Yes CynthiaAnn it was really nice and something that is very enjoyable. Sometimes its the simplest things that make us the happiest.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Faith

I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

LizK

Quote from: Faith on March 15, 2019, 06:37:45 AM
Hi Liz!!  :icon_wave:  :icon_biggrin:

Hiya Faith how you doing?...Good I hope!!

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •